Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

14 Pages«<1011121314>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
gwikse  
#221 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:44:53 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Is this correct in order to get a generic coax signal from the Optical module (that other dac`s 75ohm coax input could Lock on to)?

Or will this only work With the B3`s spdif input Board?
gwikse attached the following image(s):
optical voltage divider.jpg (241kb) downloaded 77 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
gwikse  
#222 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:28:12 PM(UTC)
gwikse

I will try to get someone to try and rescue the B2 for me. I dont know anyone locally that would take something like that on unfortunately. I took some images of the Board and I can see that I have mocked it up and it will require good eyesight to salvage it. Dirt, bad desolder-resolder jobs etc may have killed it. Based on the images it is a Wonder it worked this long without problems. It was the second audio module I put together and the second module I put together after my eyesight got bad (the first was a Legato 2). Earlier solder work was done when I had 20/20 vision and I can tell from the Board that I relied much more on eyesight for cleaning etc then I was aware of. With later modules I have been more aware of what I see and not and the ones I have here that I have taken closeup images of show clearly the difference from a couple years ago and up to a year and a half ago. Luckily I have not made any modules for other People in that time and my friends B3 that I have put together seem clean and the joints are good. A Legato 2, a LCDPS and to some extent a Legato 3.1 and a Placid HDBP (both been reworked to try to fix issues) needs to be repaired as well. The lagato`s should be simple enough (replace the Power resistors and Mount With a little distance to the Board).

Due to the uncertainty of the Optical modules (mixed coax and Optical modules to a mux Board), I will throw them away and possibly order New ones (With onboard voltage divider). That way I can be sure where the issues lie. I think I have found the one Optical module that is ok, as I ordered one at a very early stage and it uses different caps than the New ones that were ordered at a later stage. So the way forward for me will be:

1. Look through old images to try and spot the Optical module that worked in the dac up until now.
2. Buy some blue isopropylene alcohol (I have run out and everything is closed for a few days here) and thoroughly clean the modules that needs repair. B2, Mux, 1 Placid HDBP, Legato 2 and Legato 3.1 w.buffers.
3. Find someone willing to troubleshoot and ship them for repair attempt.

Edited by user Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:30:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Corpius  
#223 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:53:05 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
The voltage divider looks OK to me
gwikse  
#224 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:53:22 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: Corpius Go to Quoted Post
The voltage divider looks OK to me

Ok, I`ll have another go With it to see if I can get a dac to Lock on the signal when passed through the Optical module. The coax that is Connected to the other side of the toggle switch gets a Lock straight away every time and so does the Optical cable when sent straight to the Optical reciever in the other dac.

DQ828  
#225 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 10:30:54 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I had problems with the Optical board, in the end I lost interest & just used the coax.
gwikse  
#226 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 12:04:38 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: DQ828 Go to Quoted Post
I had problems with the Optical board, in the end I lost interest & just used the coax.

I am starting to Wonder if I have to drop the Optical inputs and use external Optical to coax boxes :/
LeonvB  
#227 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 1:37:17 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
No problem with the B2 & optical here. If you can't find someone to fix it locally, PM me.
gwikse  
#228 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 2:46:52 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: LeonvB Go to Quoted Post
No problem with the B2 & optical here. If you can't find someone to fix it locally, PM me.

I did get one Optical module to work when Connected directly to the B2, but in order to get more inputs I needed to convert the signal to consumer level sp-dif, and so far I do not get a Lock when I use the Method shown on page 66 in the B3 integration guide. But at this point I am not sure if the B2 card is ok anymore as I can not even get a Lock onto any signal. Consumer Level spdif to spdif input With dip switch set to on, i2s signal to i2s inputs With dip switch set to off or Optical module Connected to gnd and D1 With dip switch set to off. And yes I have tried both positions of the dip in all cases to make sure ;)

In order to test each module With something I am sure is working, I have tried to get a Matrix Mini-i DAC to Lock on the signal from the Optical modules and kept the B2 out of the Equation. Result: no Lock when Connected through the Optical module With Level convertion (Powered by a LCDPS set to 5,2V). When the Optical cable is Connected directly to the Matrix mini-i`s Optical input it Locks on straight away. And when I Connect a RCA coax to the other position of the toggle switch, I get a Lock straight away. And yes I have remembered to change position of the toggle switch ;)

I have two more tests to do before I am out of ideas:

1. Connect the Optical module(s) directly through the voltage divider to the coax input of the mini-i (omit the toggle switch).
2. Change to a different LCDPS.

Unfortunately I do not have Access to a Scope to check the output of the Optical module(s).
optical voltage divider.jpg (241kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

gwikse  
#229 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 11:56:09 PM(UTC)
gwikse

A little update.

I am sorry for not updating and more or less dropping off the face of the earth this summer. This summer has been full of life happens (not in a good way unfortunately). But thats life Brick wall d'oh! Boo hoo! ;) As with everything, things eventually even out and now I can get started with the diy audio stuff again :) Pray

After the "break" I had a look at the B2 board as a last check before shipping it off to be fixed, and I located the problem. There is something to be said about getting too close to a project.... As it turns out it was a bad connection at the VD_XO trident. Replaced the tridents with jumpers to use the on board regulators and it started to sing again. And so now I get a lock and normal start up every time I power it. Allthough it is with the on board regulators.
Custom parts are being made and so far I have mounted and tested the sp-dif input section. No faults so far.

I put together a B3se wich is working flawlessly with a LCDPS with a custom 5,25V Belleson regulator. Soon the LCBPS powering the Ivy3 will be replaced with a new LCBPS with Belleson +-15V regulators as well.

After installing the belleson regulator I was surpriced that it was running very hot. Too hot to touch. Much as with the 317 and 1,5" heatsink. After double and triple checking things to see that everything was in order I finally flipped the LCDPS up side down and now I use the heatsinks as a heatplates between the regulators and the "case" (wich atm consist of a 2x250x400mm aluminium plate). I also put some thermal compound between the heatsink and the case (I forgot that at first and it made all the difference). Now it quickly reach about 5-6 degrees over room temperature and stay there (as I write this it has been running for about 72hours). For anyone struggling with heat issues this could be something to try out if the heatsink is tall enough (the 1" heatsinks are not tall enough to clear the caps though).
B3se temp setup.jpg (231kb) downloaded 77 time(s).
B3se temp setup connections.jpg (248kb) downloaded 59 time(s).

gwikse  
#230 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:47:28 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I am finishing a build I have had on my mind for quite some time. A small portable headphone / workstation / WAF friendly DAC (and an amp to match as well).

minidac 3d.jpg (90kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
minidac bak.jpg (222kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
minidac usb montert.jpg (220kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
minidac ventusez.jpg (251kb) downloaded 53 time(s).
minidac montert.jpg (231kb) downloaded 67 time(s).

gwikse  
#231 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:12:30 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Display fitted.
display fitted.jpg (240kb) downloaded 85 time(s).

DQ828  
#232 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:10:58 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post
Display fitted.

Funky well done

gwikse  
#233 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:58:01 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Display fitted.

Funky well done

It is slowly but surely coming together. Every time I put something in I seem to run into minor problems.

I am still not able to get the oled working with the CE644 controller that I was hoping to use, but I have not yet compared the code running on my arduino`s to the code on the CE644 controller to try and merge the correct code from each.

I am hoping for a first sound check tomorrow :)
DQ828  
#234 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:53:00 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Display fitted.

Funky well done

Every time I put something in I seem to run into minor problems.

I feel your pain, I have had exactly the same problem, but at the moment everything is running smoothly for DAC1, hopefully I'll have a case to show off before Christmas.

David

Good luck

gwikse  
#235 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:26:10 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Front panel ordered and soon to be fitted.

I opted for a subtle apperance.
GW dac front_small.jpg (98kb) downloaded 34 time(s).

gwikse  
#236 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 8:08:47 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I also installed Volumio onto a Raspberry PI (With hifiberry digi add on). It is now my main playback Device. Airplay / throw from Phones is good enough for background Music playback (Come on Sonos, give us airplay (I hate Your gui)).

I took some old computer hardware (Intel Q9550s, Intel P45 based mobo and 8GB nonECC ram and a bunch of old drives (Raid 5)) and installed nas4free on it. This is now my backup and fileserver (no apps etc). I can also Connect to it via VPN. So when the minidac is finished I will have my "portable" sound system. I am keeping it simple by powder coating the case and putting it in a camera hard-case. With room for a set of good headphones alongside it.
gwikse  
#237 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 12:34:46 AM(UTC)
gwikse

UserPostedImage

Its alive!

Finally had time and eyesight to put it all together.
Still have a lot of work to do with regards to the code, as I messed up the inputs (input 1 is input 3 etc :p ).

Edited by user Friday, December 18, 2015 12:37:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#238 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 1:10:12 PM(UTC)
gwikse

The Hifiberry digi is streaming and playing through the DAC. I love this thing. Looking forward to the Volumio 2 ;)

I have read about endless numbers of volumio builds with more or less proper power supplies. I am also building a DAC for a friend who has a dedicated HTPC in a streacom case that has a lot of room left after the PC`s installed (mini itx, ssd ext PSU).
So the aim would then be to have a solution that can add a raspvberry pi i2s streaming solution to the exxadevices u2i USB card he is using for computer audio.

So, raspberry pi PSU.... I have a heatsink along the left side of the case that is not in use by the computer. LCDPS + Belleson 5V 2A it is then. The other half of the LCDPS will then power the 3.3V output of the exa card. The 5V will also power the otto and teleporter module.

For swithing the Otto, I think I`ll try using the power led header on the computer motherboard. That way, when the computer is on it will be selected, and when it is not on the volumio will be.
fernfrost  
#239 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 10:57:22 PM(UTC)
fernfrost

Sweden

Its alive!

It is just the best feeling when everything is done, you plug it in and it works:) Well done!
gwikse  
#240 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:06:08 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Stereo by night :)

DSC_0137.JPG (82kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed