Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

14 Pages«<89101112>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
gwikse  
#181 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:44:15 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
Can you rear-mount the IEC connector?

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion :)

All the modules can be rear mounted then as the RCA`s I have ordered are also mounted from the rear (nut on the outside). It looks better IMO with everything mounted from the inside.

gwikse attached the following image(s):
inside mount.jpg (151kb) downloaded 55 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
DQ828  
#182 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:27:54 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post
Test mounting it. No cables connected yet as there are adjustments to be made where the cables will only be in the way.

As you can see in the pictures, the holes for the XLR connector I am holding are not in the right place (1mm too high). Either I use a small file to adjust the holes (wich would then be covered over by the screws) or?
I am also thinking of mounting the XLR connectors from the inside of the case and hope that the screw will cover the mistake. This will lead to a more clean look I think but I am not so sure about using nuts on the inside due to the lack of space.
The optical modules went in with a little filing of the holes and the error were covered by the screws. The mount hole for the standoffs that fix the mux to the rear panel also went fairly well. A little filing of the misaligned hole and that was that. It will also be covered over by the screw. The thumb screws are there for easy assebly/disassembly as the optical modules are covered over by the mux`s PCB. They also mean that the rear is a little more protected when and if I need to place the chassis on the rear panel (no scratches plz...). A lot of connectors are not here yet and the toggle switches are also not likely to arrive this side of the easter holidays. I have ordered both dual and single pole (in case I can not get the dual to fit).

I'd be more worried about that bit of raw aluminum sticking up in the middle of the case, your never going to get the lid on :)

Edited by user Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:28:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#183 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:06:46 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Lid d'oh! What lid... Oh no, I knew I had forgotten something Brick wall ;)

But seriously, I will have it cut to size this afternoon.
SCompRacer  
#184 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:25:58 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)

It looks better IMO with everything mounted from the inside.

Nice rear panel! I like the inside mount myself. Much cleaner looking.
Corpius  
#185 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:36:26 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Can you rear-mount the IEC connector?

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion :)

All the modules can be rear mounted then as the RCA`s I have ordered are also mounted from the rear (nut on the outside). It looks better IMO with everything mounted from the inside.

Originally Posted by: SCompRacer Go to Quoted Post

It looks better IMO with everything mounted from the inside.

Nice rear panel! I like the inside mount myself. Much cleaner looking.

I totally agree that it is looking much better when everything is mounted from the inside. Good work! keep it up!
Brian Donegan  
#186 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:35:01 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I am about to start construction of a CNC router to make parts like that :)

Corpius  
#187 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:44:40 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Nice! Do you build it from a kit?

DQ828  
#188 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:07:22 PM(UTC)
DQ828

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I have been very tempted to do the same, is it a kit?
Brian Donegan  
#189 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:49:58 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Yes, it's a kit... well, base kit, then a bunch of add-on stuff.

http://www.cncrouterpart...nc-router-kit-p-137.html
kesgreen  
#190 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:07:40 PM(UTC)
kesgreen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anyone tried building an enclosure using a 3D printer? I bet one could come up with some interesting designs.

I'd like a sort of steampunk-style DAC with brass wheels and stuff. One day...
gwikse  
#191 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:52:32 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Still testfitting things. The alu plate has been bent to allow the lid to be placed. A 30VA R-Core 2x9V+2x15V and a noratel 20VA 2x9V has been placed alongside the side profile. The controller/old front has been fitted to see that it will all fit in there, and it does :)

However. The more I work on it, the more I think about keeping the controller outside the chassis. This will also allow for mounting transformers to the digital supplies on the front plate. Two analog transformers could then be fitted to the rack profile next to the Placid HDBP (as well as a corcom filter next to the IEC AC in) and two digital transformers could be placed on the front panel (next to the placid and lcdps). I will mount it with the transformers as they are atm (all along the side profile), and then test the functionality of it during the holidays. I hope that the remaining parts will arrive in time.
easter config.jpg (247kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
willbetight2.jpg (237kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
preview.jpg (155kb) downloaded 26 time(s).

Brian Donegan  
#192 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:14:11 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Originally Posted by: kesgreen Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone tried building an enclosure using a 3D printer? I bet one could come up with some interesting designs.

I'd like a sort of steampunk-style DAC with brass wheels and stuff. One day...

It would have to be made from plastic.
Adastra  
#193 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:30:49 PM(UTC)
Adastra

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Still testfitting things. The alu plate has been bent to allow the lid to be placed. A 30VA R-Core 2x9V+2x15V and a noratel 20VA 2x9V has been placed alongside the side profile. The controller/old front has been fitted to see that it will all fit in there, and it does :)

However. The more I work on it, the more I think about keeping the controller outside the chassis. This will also allow for mounting transformers to the digital supplies on the front plate. Two analog transformers could then be fitted to the rack profile next to the Placid HDBP (as well as a corcom filter next to the IEC AC in) and two digital transformers could be placed on the front panel (next to the placid and lcdps). I will mount it with the transformers as they are atm (all along the side profile), and then test the functionality of it during the holidays. I hope that the remaining parts will arrive in time.

So, do you mean a separate enclosure for the Display and its backpacks? As full as that box is it might be worth considering putting the transformers in a seperate enclosure instead - buys you some real estate and certainly can't hurt audio quality. Just a thought. Looks amazing by the way.

On the other hand, it could be pretty cool having the controller external, like a big handheld remote, almost like a squeezebox. I think you'll have a hard time going wrong with this project.
gwikse  
#194 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:32:24 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: Adastra Go to Quoted Post

So, do you mean a separate enclosure for the Display and its backpacks? As full as that box is it might be worth considering putting the transformers in a seperate enclosure instead - buys you some real estate and certainly can't hurt audio quality. Just a thought. Looks amazing by the way.

On the other hand, it could be pretty cool having the controller external, like a big handheld remote, almost like a squeezebox. I think you'll have a hard time going wrong with this project.

Thanks. I allready have run the controller seporately for quite some time. It worked flawlessly but it was a little too fiddly as I did not have a proper case for the controller (loose wires from the back of a computer bay cover) through a i2c extender solution with wires fixed in each end etc. If I go for the external option I will use a Black Hammond 1590E ( http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1590E.pdf ) wich will blend in among my CD`s. With a small power plug and a RJ45 connector to send the i2c signals to the main dac case (wich can even be hidden behind a door as there will not be anything to see on it, exept for us hifi geeks that is ;)).

Regarding the external transformers: yes I have thought about it. And I am still thinking about it. If the distance from the rear panel to the psu were shorter I would proporably be better off. As it is now, I think I would be better off either mounting the transformers on either side of the rack rails, or stack the case with a 1U case (wich I have) and fix them together in order to run the AC direct from the transformers to the supplies. If I go that route I am more likely to to for option 1 (along the side rails). But for now, I will keep it simpler and have a listen to the dac in its simplest implementation (external controller, internal transformers).
external trannies.jpg (142kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

gwikse  
#195 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:15:29 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Initial setup is getting along. The Placid HDBP is set and adjusted (14,5V with ccs 150mA to each rail), the Buffalo 2 card currently get its power from half of the lcdps set to 5,25V (tridents V1 atm) and the controller is still running externally. Connectors and case for it has been ordered and the case (Hammond 1590EEBK) should arrive tomorrow (monday).

The noratel 9V 20VA only put out 5V (must be a case of mislabeled from the manufactorer or something like that) so that was removed and currently the 30VA R-Core is yet again connected to both LCDPS (2x9V, 2x0,8A) and to the Placid HDBP (2x15V, also 2x0,8A). I want to run both sides of the LCDPS from 1x9V 0,8A and the Placid HD from the remaining 9V 0,8A rail.
Can someone have a look at the image of the ac in and verify that it is correct please (1x9VAC to both half`s of the LCDPS)?
lcdps_tied1.jpg (95kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

gwikse  
#196 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:32:50 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Replaced the R-core with proper trannies. 80VA to the analog parts and a 50VA to the digital parts. Should provide more than enough, but some testing on other solutions is also being done. With this config, everything should fit inside the case.
new trannies.jpg (247kb) downloaded 33 time(s).

Corpius  
#197 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 7:16:05 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Does the corcom filter also fits in? It looks to me that there is not enough room for it.
gwikse  
#198 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 7:31:24 PM(UTC)
gwikse

I will have to move the trannies a little forward, but then it should fit if the wires are soldered and not using fast-on. The internal height is a little more than a standard 2U case. As far as I know the 3A vertion that arrives tomorrow will fit. No worries if there is not enough room though, as I can allways have an external Box for all the corcom filters (just like you did in Your article).

Edit: btw. The trannies can be slided back and forth as they are fixed to the rail With a M3 nut and bolt fixing it to the middle slot in the rack rail.

Edited by user Monday, March 25, 2013 8:20:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#199 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:51:17 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Something to sort out. I seem to have a little dc on the balanced outputs. 3,5mV on the left channel and 5,5mV on the right. First I tried to flip the IV so that the channel closest to the trannies was swapped With the other channel to see if the values changed. They did not... The 5,5mV did not change to 3,5mV and vice verca. I tried to move the transformers out of the Box and Shield it. Had no effect. Installed a different Ivy3, more or less the same (a little lower values; 2,9mV - 3,3mV, but still there). Then I moved the entire thing to the test-bench (bent alu plate With the transformer at the left, psu`s in the middle and dac Cards on the right). Same values. Hmmm....

Regarding the rear panel. It`s moving along. I need to wire from the rear to the front and check my work every step of the way. Otherwise troubleshooting would be a nightmare. I will most likely have some work to do during the easter holidays. Skies and fresh air should lead to some ideas as to what to do NeXT.
gwikse  
#200 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:01:57 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I just noticed something. I will have to swap left/right channel for it to be correct on the rear panel. Does anyone know if it is possible to swap left and right in the firmware?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed