Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
feckie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 10:25:03 PM(UTC)
feckie

Groups: Member

Hi Guys

Rather than creating separate threads for any questions/issues, from now they will go in here.

The build has gone through some of redesigns over the years, from a single dac with usb only to a dual mono with a number of inputs.During this period i have built a MyRef LM3886 amp and a tortuga LDR pre, both of which are running and sound excellent.

With the amp and pre running and a baby coming in 2 months i am very keen to get it finished before the baby is born.

The latest issue i have is with the sidecar, for whatever reason i cannot hear any click from the relays. Measuring between GND and V on the Sidecar i am getting 5.25v which i assume is fine.

I have a Waveio connected to the sidecar and the lock LED will turn on and off as commanded, however no relay click... Should there be a click?

Searching the threads i found it was possible i could have 24v relays incorrectly, in my case i have the correct 5v relays.

So lets call this problem 1.

Problem 2 i have fixed but i would like to hear what the experts say...

When i had a full width ribbon connecting the dacs to the sidecar one of the Placid HD's (call it P1) would be shunting 0, The 2nd placid (P2) would then be shunting too much, could be up 150mv. Not altering anything, i noticed P1's shunt starting to increase and P2's shunt started to decrease. Then after a few minutes it would equalize.

Disconnecting one of the dacs would then have shunt levels as expected. So i cut the voltage out of the ribbon connecting to one of the dacs. This then functioned normally.

Is this expected?

I have attached some pics to help. They are not great as everything is still a bit of a mess.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 6:52:34 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Your solution with the ribbon cable for Problem2 was correct. What was happening was the placid for each DAC were being joined at the Sidecar header.

As for Problem 1, when you say the lock LED turns on, do you mean on the DACs or on the WaveIO?
thanks 1 user thanked Brian Donegan for this useful post.
feckie on 5/12/2015(UTC)
feckie  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:46:38 AM(UTC)
feckie

Hi Brian

I fixed Problem 1 last night. It was the switch but the reason why is unknown. The Lock LED on the dac was lighting up but the relay wouldnt click.

I was using a lorlin DPST switch (http://au.element14.com/lorlin/rms1035/rotary-switch-dpst-solder-terminal/dp/1360552), i had 5 of them so i tried another one and the same thing happened. So i moved to a push button DPST and that worked fine.... really odd...

Edited by user Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:59:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

feckie  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 12:17:51 AM(UTC)
feckie

Would anyone know why this switch wouldnt work? I am positive the wiring was correct.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/70425.pdf
Tomasz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:28:18 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

So, using the chance to piggy back my problem on this thread will give it a go...hope to get some help

....so, its about
Distortion at high volumes and instability in dual mono build

First config and some pics

Its dual mono build, single legato. Basically standard stuff. Usb input over amanero, all isolated. On input sidecar. All driven from arduino, also isolated

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

https://picasaweb.google...0hdT4PN5vvu0nohtvdC75OIY

Now...

First about distortion. At about -30dB, the middle frequency get highly distored, on volumes lower than this i cannot hear any distortion, at -35dB all seem to be fine. I Didnt have any distortion on mono configuration, it started after dual mono built. Anything i have changed are c1-c4 on panasonic echu smd caps

Second problem is instabilyty.
I loose the sound on one channel or both every time i switch my home equipement. The lock diode is still on, but the sound is just gone. Also i have to start my dac twice on the beginning, on the first time there is no sound, then on the second start i get the sound. This is frustrating, as i can loose one chanel even when my freezer get onBrick wall

Thanks in advance

Tomasz
Jordo  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 11:11:41 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Tomasz,

I have the same sometimes. When a light switch is flipped or I plug a charger.
In my case it's acceptable. I figured it must be the interfearance of EMI along the powerlines.

Now when I check (late at night) nothing happens if I do so. But during daytime it might occur more often. It might have something to do with voltage droppage of the power grit.

You can try to connect the power into another socket or socket in a seperate group.
Check the bonding and groundplan.
Check the wall power socket voltage when it occurs and when not.

When looking at your hookup; Is there a possibility to use the Isolated outputs of the Waveio?

Hope it helps you a bit.

All the best!

Jordo

Edited by user Monday, June 8, 2015 11:14:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tomasz  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 4:38:26 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi Jordo,

Thanks for your answear.

Loosing lock is strange, as it never happend on my single, stereo config.
The thing with distortion on high levels is even worst, dont really know what it can be.

I already use isoleted outputs of usb interface, its amareno in my case + isolator board stuck on top of it. I isolate both i2s and i2c.

Hope to find solutions of the problems.

Best regards

Tomasz
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 2:26:48 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

I think this is related to your long I2S runs (looping ribbon cable in your pics). The I2C clock lines are noise generators, but also sensitive to noise. You should try to shorten the ribbon, and if possible, add some shielding to it.

Additionally, you do not want any power wires running anywhere near your I2S lines. I see some really close areas in the routing from the USB Isolator outputs to the Sidecar. Any spikes on the power lines will feed into the I2S lines and can result in unlocks. On the same note, noise from the I2S clock lines can infect the power lines and result in distortion and noise in the audio outputs.
Tomasz  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:58:37 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the answer, i was also suspecting the wireing to be the problem. Will try to tide it up and report the results.

Regards

Tomsz
Jordo  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 4:07:27 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Yesterday my girlfriend fliped a light switch which caused to interrupt the playback.
When I decided to measure the wall contact for voltage only putting one pin into the socket already caused an interruption.
With only one pin at at the socket no currents are drawn from the net so this is strange.
When I tried the other socket no interruption was observed. One or the other must be the Line and Neutral.
I might start an investigation Think
Also shielding my powerline might be an idea.

All the data lines are shielded and clear from powerlines.

The voltage was approx 220VAC for info.

If I hit on something I will let you know ;)

regards,

Jordo

Update:
It hapens when a metal object touches the Line.
I do to have a power line running not far from the data cables. I might shield it (on a rainy day)

I know it's not my topic but I have a similar complaint and it should be nice to help eachother finding causes and solutions isn't it? Angel

Edited by user Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:15:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo attached the following image(s):
powerline.jpg (226kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jordo  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 5:06:38 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Tomasz,

How are you proceeding in the EMI/ Lock issue?

Today I shielded some power wires in the near facinity of the Data lines from the Sidecar to the BIII.
Unfortunately it had no effect.

Still when I plug an adapter or so in the wall socket or flip a light switch (to off), the Lock is lost on both DAC's for an instance.

I do too think that I have a general issue in my house. When I flip a light switch elswhere the bathroom fan starts to run for a few minutes while it should only react on moisture level.

So it might be an EMI problem of the house. But why it reflects on the Lock I don't know. Maybe a dip in the voltage of the DAC module?
Ideally you should connect the audio to a seperate dedicated group.
And even more ideally, also a seperate ground. But I have neither.

best regards,

Jordo
IMG_2699.JPG (118kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
IMG_2700.JPG (128kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
IMG_2701.JPG (78kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
IMG_2702.JPG (114kb) downloaded 20 time(s).

Tomasz  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:41:56 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi Jordo,

I was beeing quite busy lately, working like a crazy, couldnt find any time to get anything done on my buffalo., but i will have some days off this week and i plan to try some mods. Anyway i was still checking the forum awaiting your tries, shame it havent worked for you.
BTW i was thinking as well that there is something wrong with my network back in the days, but i moved lately to different city, new built flat (new network) and i still have the same issue... I got this problem changing from stereo to dual mono so i suppose it should be cabling.

I plan also to tide some cabling up, but reading your message make me rather sceptical about the thing...i am going to report the results or lack of them.

All best

Tomasz
Jordo  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 10:57:12 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Tomasz,

Good to hear from you. I neither was'nt planning to work at my system the summer but the new tridents arrived and it was a small modification.

You use the Ribbon Cable and I was thinking to move back to it. I never worked with the Ribbon Cable because I had to loop it as you did which gains more length.

Somehow the solution must lay in the data lines I guess hearing your story. The only thing you did was making those dataline quite a bit longer.
That's the only thing I could still tweak with shielding.

Best would be a Cat 5 (or higher) Shielded Twisted Pair Cable I think but it's no easy to make it yourself in a compact way with all those pins and connections.

Anybody else with the same issue of loosing lock of the signal when any other device is switched on?

I also had it with lightning by the way and you don't want to know how many money I spend keeping EMI distortions outside!

rgds,

Jordo

Tomasz  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 6:53:00 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi Jordo,

It seems I found where is the problem.
From the beginning i did have the problem with summing all 8 dacs per channel, so i just tried to disconect the even DAC on one channel and odd dacs on the other channel. The Buffalos are working just with 4 dacs each and.... it seems to work just fine!!! No loosing LOCK on light switching, no DISTORTION on high volumes!!!.... but i use just the half of dacs :(

Now, I put all the DACS in Arduino code to IN-PHASE and sum it just straight as it is...could that be the problem? On the other hand the remaining 4 DACS are still all in phase and there is no problem....so cabling ??? i have no idea where to start...help!

... at least i got some virtual cases done this weekend

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Jordo  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:08:45 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Wow nice solid design! very sofistigated :)

I will make the final experiment with the wiring for us.
I have ordered a kind of shielded ribbon cable with individual shielded strands.
Hope it fits. That's the last piece of shielding left for me. If this doesn't work (and I doubt it to be honest) I'm out of options, or rather, out of actions I will take.

Because than I would have to look externally;
Stable Power source (powerprocessor)
Seperate Power Group
Dedicated ground.....

All not very realistic here.

Keep you posted

Grtz,

Jordo
Ribbon.png (150kb) downloaded 17 time(s).

Tomasz  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2015 7:40:11 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Please HELP!

I am getting crazy! I have tried everything!

I cannot sum the 8 DACs the way it gives me no distortion!

When I connect 4 DAC on each Buffalo in dual mono it works just fine....once i put all 8 dacs together strange things happen... DAC gets quiet (LOCK led still lighting but there is no sound) when i turn the light on or home equipment and the sound get distored, especially on higher levels!

... I disconnect the 4 dacs on each buffalo board and its just perfect, no distortion, no strange sound loosing!

All DACS are in-phase (I am using arduino to set the phase). I have also tried even dacs in phase and odd in anti phase and reversed, but this doesnt work at all...no sound, some clipping!

Just to info I have SIDECAR on input!

Now what i do, first some info i found in net:

Register 13

DACx Polarity [link]

Defines the polarity of DACx relative to its input. This may sound obvious but it is not so obvious if the input of a DAC is internally remapped to take its input from another DAC. When the input is remapped, the phase applied propagates to the other (remapped) DAC. This has the following implications:
– When using “in-phase” then there is nothing to worry, all dacs whether with inputs remapped or not will all be in-phase
– When using “anti-phase”, then the phase is also propagated to the remapped DAC so that the phase setting in the remapped DAC is also applied to the propagated phase

Example: In register 14: remap the source of DAC3 to be DAC1. In register 13: set polarity of DAC1 and DAC3 to be “anti-phase. The output of DAC1 will be “anti-phase”; the output of DAC3 will be “in-phase”: the anti-phase from DAC1 has been propagated to DAC3 and DAC 3 applied “anti-phase” to “anti-phase” resulting in “in-phase”

------------------
Register 13 (0x0D) DAC polarity
In-phase: 0x00 (all 8 channels) (D)
Anti-phase: 0xFF (all 8 channels)
------------------
Register 19 (0x13) DACB polarity
In-phase: 0xFF (all 8 channels)
Anti-phase: 0x00 (all 8 channels) (D)
1256 In-Phase; 3478 Anti-Phase: 0x33
1256 Anti-Phase; 3478 In-Phase: 0xCC
------------------

here comes the code:

writeSabreLeftReg(0x0D,0x22); // MONO LEFT DACx: odd dacs=in-phase; even dacs=anti-phase
writeSabreLeftReg(0x13,0x00); // MONO LEFT DACBx: all dacs anti-phase with respect to DACx

writeSabreRightReg(0x0D,0x11); // MONO RIGHT DACx: odd dacs=anti-phase; even dacs=in-phase
writeSabreRightReg(0x13,0x00); // MONO RIGHT DACBx: all dacs anti-phase with respect to DACx

Now 0x22 = 0010 0010
and 0x11 = 0001 0001

So, just two DACs are set to anti phase, it has something to do with register 14 if i get it right:

My Register 14 is set default to: 1111 1001

Register 14 (0x0E) DAC source, IIR Bandwidth and FIR roll off
|0| | | | | | | | Source of DAC8 is DAC8 (D)
|1| | | | | | | | Source of DAC8 is DAC6 (To Buffalo II wiring)
| |0| | | | | | | Source of DAC7 is DAC7 (D)
| |1| | | | | | | Source of DAC7 is DAC5 (To Buffalo II wiring)
| | |0| | | | | | Source of DAC4 is DAC4 (D)
| | |1| | | | | | Source of DAC4 is DAC2 (To Buffalo II wiring)
| | | |0| | | | | Source of DAC3 is DAC3 (D)
| | | |1| | | | | Source of DAC3 is DAC1 (To Buffalo II wiring)
| | | | |0| | | | Pseudo differential
| | | | |1| | | | True differential (D)
| | | | | |0|0| | IIR Bandwidth: Normal (for PCM)
| | | | | |0|1| | IIR Bandwidth: 50k (for DSD) (D)
| | | | | |1|0| | IIR Bandwidth: 60k (for DSD)
| | | | | |1|1| | IIR Bandwidth: 70k (for DSD)
| | | | | | | |0| FIR Rolloff: Slow
| | | | | | | |1| FIR Rolloff: Fast (D)

here comes the question, why i get problems with stability and distortion and would setting the even and odd dacs in antiphase help in that case?

How about the input, shall I put the reg 14 to 0000 XXXX, would this help?

Please help me to get this work, basically I am using standard HiFiduino code, but it could be it doesnt work with SIDECAR (is Reg 14 a problem?)

I would really appriciate help.

Tomasz
Tomasz  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:08:35 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi All,

I have tried to put Reg 14 on 0000 XXXX sourcing all 8 dacs separately from sidecar, but it havent changed anything. I still get distord sound and loose sound on one or both speakers by switching light on and off.

Tomasz
Tomasz  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 7:11:18 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Today I have done some more tests...

First I have removed the sidecar and connected the I2S directly to the board like this (all dacs open, no remapping):

https://hifiduino.wordpr...ode-and-buffalo-iii-dac/

no change, still distortion.

... then I have tried different wireings, shielding and stuff like this, but no joy.

I should say, I hear distorted sound quite badly first on volumes higher than -30 dba. Its not ground hiss or distortion, its like digital distortion and its remarkable in the middle range.

Again, when I put just 4 even DACS (2468) or 4 odd DACS (1357) together the sound is just perfect and clean... i put them all together strange things happen.

It seems to me like I could have been trying to connect the I2S the wrong way, but i get the same on SPDIF.

d'oh! Brick wall

Edited by user Monday, July 27, 2015 7:15:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tomasz  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:30:12 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Anyone out there to help?

Is there a way to get a configuration of the registers for dual mono from tpa?

How should signals be connected when i go with mono. Do i skip something? It seems to me like i put everything like on integration guide...it works on relatively low volumes as well, but it cannot be that this is how every mono buffalo should work.

I would appriciate help

Tomasz
Brian Donegan  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2015 3:35:25 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

I would try to get it to work with the on-board firmware first, then move to the Arduino and custom code. That would at least let you know where the problem lies.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed