Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jordo  
#21 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 7:58:10 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Tomasz,

Any devellopments to report?

I recently checked the polarity of the Line and Nutral and that's all ok. That was one thing I promised myself to check.

In the upcomming time, if the weather keeps deteriorating, I will take out the 4 channel S/Pdiff module and maybe the Sidecar too. I only use the I2S with the teleporter so...

But I am wondering if Brian's suggetion works for you.
I do not use an Arduino so this might split our cases.

best regards,

Jordo
Tomasz  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 6:53:38 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi Jordo, hi Brian

Nope, no improvements to report, nothing really changed.
I was hanging in south Europe these days, enjoying sunny weather and the sea, so havent done much to buffalo.

I think the only way is to follow the Brians suggestion and try the tpa stock controller first... will try to get it done next days.

I will be happy to know the results of your tries and going to report anything i find as well.

Best regards

Tomasz
Tomasz  
#23 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:16:38 AM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

i have just got my parts this weekend and put them together. It looks fine, but still no joy on full dual mono.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:17:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jordo  
#24 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 8:44:08 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Tomasz,

Nice build!

I do still spot a long ribbon cable.
Have you already tried to shorten it?

Best regards,

jordo
feckie  
#25 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:59:37 AM(UTC)
feckie

Wow pretty jealous right now :) i am still working on mine on and off.

My problem at the moment is that whenever i play music it will unlock almost every time. The ufl connectors are around the 6 or 7cm (All the same length), then i tried the isolated side of the waveio usb with even shorter cables and i am getting the exact same problem.

Sometimes the only 1 dac will lock and play.
Jordo  
#26 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2015 2:44:15 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Hi Feckie,

A thing you could try is to set Dip Switch 2:4 to OFF in the Bypass mode.

According to the documentation it is not recommended to do so because the Clock of the BIII will not be used this way.
But I had the same and the only thing I could do is to set the Dip Switch to Bypass using the external Clock of the WaveIO. Regardless of the DPLL Bandwidth.
Altough, I'm not that sure. Maybe I do use the DAC's Clock this way.
I have replaced the firmware Chip which should invert all settings. Maybe it does not apply on 2:4.

I've asked the question here before in this thread but I never got it answered leaving me puzzled about the integrity of my DAC....

Please let me know if it helped.

Grtz,

Jordo

Edited by user Monday, October 5, 2015 2:48:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

feckie  
#27 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2015 10:40:46 AM(UTC)
feckie

Hi Jordo

I didnt touch the clock but i did encounter a clue last night.

I am using a sidecar with a switch to go between i2s and the spdif 4 board. I had already disconnected the spdif as i was unable to get it to lock (i am ok with this as i dont use spdif anyway, just would have been nice). Anyway while running music the lock was very unstable, i was suspect about the switch so i disconnected the gnd to pin 14 cable and the lock stabilized. Reconnecting the cable and the stability disappeared.

Plays fine now.
Jordo  
#28 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2015 11:11:39 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Ha ok! Good to hear!

I am waiting for the new version of the HD powersupplies to arrive which I haven't upgraded yet.
If they arrive I was also thinking about cutting out the Toslink and S/Pdiff board.
I do no use them and they do consume power.

I did too had similar problems with the S/Pdiff board until I used the I2S and powered the relay. That cuts out the S/PDiff.

Strange for the Pin 14 Gnd... What signal is on D6 Pin 13?

And for my own interest; What is your position of Dip Switch 2:4? ON or OFF?

Cheers!

Jordo
feckie  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2015 9:13:36 AM(UTC)
feckie

i believe it was turned on, whatever the manual recommended me to do.
Jordo  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:12:05 AM(UTC)
Jordo

Ok, thx.

@ Tomasz:

Yesterday I used the ribbon cable instead of my self fabriqued leads from the Sidecar to the DAC. Still no fix on losing the lock signal shortly after a lightswitch is turned off.

I also decoupled the S/Pdif board and the Toslink and BNC connectors. These are locked out when the relay is powered but still. If have no use for them.

The only thing I can do in the DAC is use 100% shielded data cables. I've already shielded all the powercables so I don't think that is going to help if I'm honest.
I can do the same in the WaveIO circuit but I'll safe that for a rainy day. (they are right around the corner, it can't take long)

So far for the update.

Cheers,

Jordo
Jordo  
#31 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:36:26 PM(UTC)
Jordo

So, yesterday it began to rain.

I created a pair of shielded data cables for the Sidecar/DAC interface.
I used real nice Sommer Cable STP with foil shield. The shields I grounded to the shassis.
I have the impression I have a real clean and detailed sound but thats between my ears I think.

Nevertheless it has nothing to improve concerning the instant loss of lock when flipping a light switch or plugging in a wall wart into the socket.

The only thing I can do now is 100% shield the data transfer lines from the WaveIO circuit.
The DAC is now fully protected and shielded.

Jordo
Russ White  
#32 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 9:31:05 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Nice job! Enjoy the DAC.

Cheers!
Russ
Tomasz  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:39:58 AM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Thanks guys, its still work in progress.

I just cannot get it done due to permanent lack of time.

Still trying to get software done (to pack all the grafic and code in half MB was not so easy ;) ) and give some last touch to the front...want to keep it simple...will probably end all in silver-black

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

anyway..... I have changed the ribbon cable, nothing changed. I just saw we both have two power supplies for the legato, mabe that make it unstable...i dont know. Like i said, have no time to get it completely running...would be happy to finish it....one day
Russ White  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:24:34 PM(UTC)
Russ White

That is very very cool. Once again, nice job.
Russ White  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:50:36 PM(UTC)
Russ White

So one note on using SPDIF autodetect.

I noticed earlier you said you were having some issue when having both SPDIF ans I2S sources.

Make sure when you have I2S sources selected that you disable SPDIF autodetect - this will avoid accidental unlock because sometimes the SPDIF detector can get a false positive on an I2S signal.
Tomasz  
#36 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 6:18:59 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi guys,

Russ, thanks for the tip. I have prooved the code and i disable the SPDIF autodetect, so that is fine.

Jordo, I think this one can be interessting for you.
I have decided to try to remove one power supply from Legato. I used to have two, like you...this is common in our designs! I was thinking that maybe dual Legato power supply is causing the instability problems.... then i put again all the 8 channel together on both mono Buffalos.

...and....stone me, it changed the thing!!! I have tested the DAC on headphones and it works just perfect!!! No loosing lock, no distortion on high volumes!

...but then, I put the Ncore amplifier balanced signal cable into Buffalo (without even turning it on) and all the charm is gone...first distortion on headphones and after powering amplifier on, there is no sound from the speaker, just light "hissss". I have measured the balanced outputs bias and i get like mV, close to 0.

I assume that this is the ground problem of balanced output - input, maybe DAC, maybe NCORE, dont know really. The funny thing is that, again, there is no problem if i sum just 4 of 8 DACs, just 4 odd or 4 even DACs, from each mono buffalo, it works just fine then!!!

So I think there is an issue with grounding/earthing or with Legato or both...

anyone to help on that? its getting so close to beeing done!

PS. I have done some improvements to software, hardware and design... the thing is starting to work and look decently...I may go that far and risk to say that I wouldnt shame myself putting in on the shelf with commercial products ;)

Edited by user Monday, October 26, 2015 6:21:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tomasz  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:26:24 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi,

I have done some more test this evening and thats what i have found out.

First of all it seems that its not the dual power supply that affect Legato (actually it works probably better than single one), what it is i dont know.

Now, I try to describe the test i have done:

First i thought if there is a problem with Legato, I am going to try to connect buffalo in voltage mode directly to power amp. I have disconnected the Buffalo form Legato and put the output of the DAC directly to power amp. Only one channel first, the left one.

The left channel worked just great, all 8 DACs in MONO, no distortion, no loosing lock by switching on and off the home equipement... just perfect!

I decided to put both channels on go and connected the right Buffalo to my power amp. Before i tested the output with earphones if there is any sound...and it looked good.
So i connected all the cables and turned DAC and then power amp on....holly shit, there where just loud clips from the speaker, i thought i burned the speaker! Have checked buffalo again with earphones...all fine. I have conneced the left buffalo to affected amp and it works fine (god bless you, even if im an atheist).

Well, knowing my right channel doesnt work in voltage mode and left does i decided to connect just the left channel to Legato and see what happens....shit happens actually...just distortion and some music in the background.

Again...it works all fine until i use just 4 DACS (or the left buffalo in voltage mode with all 8 DACs)

So comming to conclusion...somthing is wrong here!
I dont know where to dig, software must be fine.
in all dual mono with 8 DACs:
-left buffalo works perfect in voltage mode, with Legato its disaster.
-right buffalo works neither in voltage mode, nor with Legato.

What could that be??? need help, seriously

Edited by user Wednesday, October 28, 2015 11:14:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#38 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:31:03 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Sounds like it is time to check each DAC independently. Do you have a scope?

It may be worthwhile to run Stereo for a while and come back to dual mono after you have things sorted. :)
Tomasz  
#39 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:34:01 PM(UTC)
Tomasz

Poland

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the answear.

I dont have a scope :/ I can just make some listening tests.
This is all a bit strange for me. If I put the earphones to balanced output of Buffalo (all 8 DAC added, full mono), it works just fine, both of Buffalos sound very good.

I can also config both of Buffalos as dual mono, and stack them on the Legato just with 4 DACs added (no mather which 4 DACS from 8) and it still works just fine.

So basically, it all works just fine... until i stuck full mono 8 DACS Buffalos on Legato. Basically the little disaster starts, strange thigs are happening... full distored sound, when i switch home equipement sound is gone (but lock is still there!?).

Think
Brick wall

Russ, suppose i get myself the scope, how shall I proceed? Anything i can think of is to put the wave on the input and check the output.
Russ White  
#40 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 2:55:44 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I would start by checking each DAC output (+ and - independently) for correct signal and phase with running audio input.

My feeling is that it is related to the custom controller you seem to be using.

I can be very difficult to create custom projects without a means to double check yourself.

I understand not everyone has a scope to use. I am hoping your adventure with custom firmware can be instructive to others as well.

I will help out any way I can.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Friday, October 30, 2015 2:56:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed