Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stewart  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 3:51:50 PM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

l have a Buffalo II fed by a WaveIO USB module. It sounds great, except for occasional static pops that occur when I touch the enclosure or when people walk around on the carpet in the living room. While it is sitting on top of a power conditioner, the enclosure has rubber feet and leads me to believe the issue is coming in through the USB cable. The USB module is fed by an Ultrarendu that has a separate power supply. The WaveIO is powered by the LCDPS power supply, which is also used to power the Buffalo DAC.

I've attached a picture of the DAC. I have grounded the AC inlet to the body of the enclosure and have also grounded the DAC's ground to the body of the enclosure via a wire that screws down to the baseplate of the USB module. I usually run the DAC with balanced outs and the ground of the XLR outputs and single-ended outputs are all connected to the ground channel of the IVY.

Any advice on how to solve this problem would be much appreciated. I recently got a much more powerful amp and speakers and am worried about damaging them.

Thank you. IMG-1162.jpg (217kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

Edited by user Tuesday, October 29, 2019 3:56:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 3:35:41 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
In my workshop I have a refrigerator for storing solder paste and such, and it was causing the same type of popping/DAC reset issue when turning on/off.

I added a medical-grade power conditioner on the power line to the dAC and it seems to have solved it.

Something like this:

https://www.mouser.com/P...KOf0WiEPzHndTlnJDXeY0%3D

or

https://www.mouser.com/P...KOf0WiEPzHXCKD5ggtNho%3D
Jordo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:36:07 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi steward,

I had the same. When flipping a light switch a pop was heard. Just as you do I use a Waveio.
I did hours and hours of troubleshooting. I even changed the light switch.

Eventually I found out I hadn’t grounded the usb receiver housing of the waveio sufficiently to the chassis. It looks like you haven’t as well.
I see u do use the grounded screw hole for the chassis stud.

The chip for the isolated ground died twice. I’m also using the u.fl connectors now. But maybe it’s an option for you to use the isolated outputs .

Hope it helps.

Jordo

Edited by user Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:37:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed