Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

15 Pages«<1112131415>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
DQ828  
#241 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 2:49:15 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Excellent advice thanks gentlemen
DQ828  
#242 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:42:42 PM(UTC)
DQ828

The DAC1 rebuild is coming together very slowly. I have built the I2C isolator using the ADUM1250 as recommended by Corpius.

I've been playing with the code & going around the twist but if I can get it working I have a few suprises, if I can get it working :)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
DQ828  
#243 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2013 10:55:38 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Does this sidecar switching look Ok?

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, June 7, 2013 10:56:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#244 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 10:50:51 AM(UTC)
DQ828

DAC 1 is almost together, I am trying the whole star ground thing but am finding it a bit confusing.

In my system at the moment I have a bit of noise (other than the crappy AC) which I'm sure is from the grounding of the different components, I have read David Davenports article (diyAudio) on grounding components a couple of times & think I know what to do, but when I try & do it, things get confusing, hopefully someone can help.

Keeping the BIII & Arduino separate shouldn't (famous last words) be a major issue, I have installed the I2C isolator which is the only direct connection between them.

As the 4 way SPDIF has isolated inputs that shouldn't cause any issues. The issue will arise (I think) with the RCA outputs.

I have created a separate grounding hub for the BIII, at the moment both power supply grounds come directly from the PSU's to the hub, then ground wires are taken back from the hub to the BIII & IVY power ground inputs.

The RCA Output grounds are taken directly for the RCA inputs to the hub & ground wires run from the hub to the IVY SE Ground outputs.

Is there anything else I should ground with the BIII/IVY setup.

I intend on installing an isolator for the Amanero but for the moment, I was going to run the Amanero ground to the BIII hub and the Sidecar input ground to the hub.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
DQ828  
#245 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:28:31 AM(UTC)
DQ828

You know it always amazes me when I get something working & in the scheme of things this was surprisingly easy.

I have sweet sweet music playing from DAC 1

Previously I never managed to get the 4 way SPDIF working on more than one of the inputs, even when I connected one than one input to the 4 way spdif it would stop working. I'm very pleased to report that Iv'e got 3 inputs connected & at least 2 are working, I haven't tested the third, or tried having multiple sources connected, but hey it's a step forward. I have put a 10 Ohm resistor on the supply to the 4 Way spdif, maybe that helped.

The Amanero is working' it didn't like the way I did the grounding so Iv'e changed it back to taking the ground from the Amanero directly to the Sidecar. I'm getting some dropouts though, at this stage am not sure what the best filter settings are for the Amanero.

As always I still have some kinks to sort out, especially with the changes I tried to implement to the display, I had to abandon the changes to get it working & now I will try & bring them back in.

UserPostedImage
DQ828  
#246 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:25:54 AM(UTC)
DQ828

I have been trying to get the Touch Screen function on the screens I have used (18 months)but have never managed to get it to operate properly, until now.

After many hours of coding & recoding it finally all came together last night, I'm sure somebody with more code experience could have got it working much quicker than I did.

I have created what I call a simple screen that is the default display & the standard HiFiDUINO settings screen is called as necessary.

The touch screen is a work in progress.

Russ White  
#247 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:00:08 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Good job! Its always nice when something comes together.
DQ828  
#248 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:32:35 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Thanks, I have been slowly modifying the Touch screen, the aim is to eventually be able to remove the Rotary Encoder and do everything via the remote and or Touch screen.

I have run into a different issue though. With DAC 2 I connected the Amanero to the BIIISE & it played straight up but I am not having the same luck with the BIII.

I have had to use the Sidecar with the BIII to integrate the Amanero into the system, when I switch to the Amanero I do get music but is deeply buried in a lot of noise. I am just switching the Sidecar using a relay that connects VD & S.

I have triple checked the Amanero connections & swapped out the other Amanero from DAC 2 to check for issues there.

I have include the photos below in the hope they might give a clue to my issue. The wierd thing is at the start I only had dropout issues, then the noise came, I'm not sure what changed.

The Squeezebox plays fine via the 4 way SPDIF

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:34:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#249 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:48:47 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
One of your Sidecar relays is backwards.
Corpius  
#250 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:15:20 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DQ828 Go to Quoted Post
The wierd thing is at the start I only had dropout issues, then the noise came, I'm not sure what changed.

If reversing the relay doesn't work, than try to add some termination resistors in series with the I2S lines. I have experienced sort of like the same thing and it turned out that because of the somewhat long I2S lines reflections started to occur along these lines. Your I2S lines also seem a bit long to me. Placing some 68R series resistors at the front end (Amanero) of the lines took away these reflections, thus the noise.

Russ White  
#251 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:23:54 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I can promise it won't work with the reversed relay. :)
DQ828  
#252 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:25:41 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
One of your Sidecar relays is backwards.

DO'H d'oh! how embarrassing.

Thanks
DQ828  
#253 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:46:53 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Fixed. Thanks again

To stop the dropout from the Amanero I need to turn the Oversampling Off, with the SPDIF I have to have it on. I assume this is normal?
DQ828  
#254 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:10:40 AM(UTC)
DQ828

The latest screen changes;

I'm just about over playing with the code, I appear to have everything working so it's time to put it into the system for more prolonged testing listening, then I might do something radical and put in a case :)

I cannot workout whats causing the dropouts when the oversampling (OS) is ON with the Amanero.

Does anyone have any idea why I would get dropouts with the OS ON and no dropouts with the OS OFF?
DQ828  
#255 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:33:18 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Another personal mountain has been climbed, a long time ago I set my sights on being able to play Hi Res music, at the time I was only thinking 192khz. I was very happy when I got the Amanero feeding through the sample rates you see below.
It really is only a academic exercise though, as in the near term I wont be downloading may files of this size to play. It's always very satisfying when you get where you want to go.

If you look closely you will also see the Oversampling is On & No dropouts, it's been a good night.

Many thanks to HiFiduino for his great blog & help.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
SCompRacer  
#256 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2013 1:13:44 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
High marks on your progress David!
DQ828  
#257 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2013 1:49:32 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Originally Posted by: SCompRacer Go to Quoted Post
High marks on your progress David!

Thanks & thanks for the help.

All I need to do is install the isolator & start enjoying the music.

Edited by user Friday, July 5, 2013 4:10:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#258 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:54:49 AM(UTC)
DQ828

Finally got around to putting the ACKO Isolator on the Amanero (no reclocking for me) & have the Amanero isolated from the BIII & running on a separate power supply.

Sounds so much better Liar Angel

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:54:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#259 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:03:34 AM(UTC)
DQ828

I'm glad to say everything appears to be working as it should now. I had to lower the voltage to the 4 way SPDIF a bit more to get it working properly, & have checked 3 of the 4 inputs (ones not connected yet) and they work, so now I have a Toslink, 2 x SPDIF 1 x BNC & 1 x USB inputs.

I will start building the case this weekend which will be from plywood & carbon fibre, should be fun, I expect it will take a while though.

Just so not to confuse anybody given the name of this thread, I am talking about the BIII I have rebuilt, not the BIIISE which is what is in my system at the moment. Once I get them both into cases I'll try & do some AB testing to see if anyone can hear the difference between the Tube & Ivy output stages. What I do know is they both sound great.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:07:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DQ828  
#260 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:18:52 AM(UTC)
DQ828

The case is started but still a long way to go, the pieces are cut out & I have done some test samples with the carbon fibre. I was hoping to spray straight over the CF but it looks like I'm going to have to put a texture coat on first to get the look I'm after.

I have been playing around with the audio isolation side of things. I always wanted to have the Arduino & SMPS that runs the arduino and Amanero (via low noise regulator) isolated from the BIII. I have an isolator on the I2C connection an isolator (ACKO) on the Amanero & the inputs are isolated via the 4way SPDIF.

From what I can tell so far with the test setup, I'm all good on the isolation front EXCEPT, when I use my PC to play via the Amanero which is earthed, this forms an earth loop because the BIII outputs are earthed via the amps, so what I am wondering is;

Is there a good quality cost effective (I'm joking right :) ) way to isolate the BIII outputs?

I assume I would use some sort of output transformer, as long as there ok to put after the IVY, any advice would be welcome.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Yes I stuffed up the dimension of the top piece :)

Edited by user Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:21:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed