Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrMajestic  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:46:05 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Its that time again :)

Buffalo32 kit

UserPostedImage

A couple of Placids

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked MrMajestic for this useful post.
museguy on 8/26/2013(UTC)
MrMajestic  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:48:40 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Instead of regular toroids I went for Amveco PCB mounted versions. I designed my own board for this, which can accept from 7VA to 25VA toroids.

UserPostedImage

With toroids mounted

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The jumper wire is there to select 230V. It can also be configured for 115V.
MrMajestic  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:49:31 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

I couldn't resist trying the shunt mod

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
MrMajestic  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:50:20 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Halved the output voltage with some nice 0.1% resistors.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
MrMajestic  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:51:08 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

One of the Placids is alive, ALIVE!!!!!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
MrMajestic  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:54:00 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Trying out the layout in the Hifi2000 case. I opted for an optional aluminium bottom to add stability. There will be a vented top also so the Placids don't overheat. I will mount a Musiland USB to SPDIF converter inside the case to supply 24-bit/192kHz SPDIF internally. The small board between the DAC and the mux is my own miniature OTTO-like switch board for external and internal i2s switching.

UserPostedImage
MrMajestic  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:58:36 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

This is the front panel. Maroon audio is my own fake brand. The knob is from Hifi2000 and the switch is from Goldpoint. Cost a fortune, but it feels very nice. The flipswitch is for selecting SPDIF or external i2s.
UserPostedImage

Backpanel. Left to right: balanced and unbalanced out, i2s (RJ45), BNC, Toslink, RCA coax, USB and a filtered IEC from Schurter.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, March 11, 2011 3:47:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrMajestic  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:59:32 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Most of the boards mounted:

UserPostedImage

With black screws of course:

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Boombastix/uli/bigger/DSC05597.jpg[/
MrMajestic  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:00:39 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

The DAC is actually pretty much completed, but I haven't had access to a camera for a little while. I've also modded a Denon DVD-1920 and successfully played SACDs straight into the DAC.
glt  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:59:40 PM(UTC)
glt

Very, very nice!
lindamar  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:47:19 AM(UTC)
lindamar

super nice project !!, loving it ....

best
Pepe
lindamar  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:48:41 AM(UTC)
lindamar

do please post a pic with everything completed whenever you have a chance !!

Edited by user Sunday, February 7, 2010 6:20:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrMajestic  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:12:10 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Here are some more final shots:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, March 11, 2011 5:35:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 11:42:27 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Saweeeeet!!!!
vinyl-junkie  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 9:03:42 AM(UTC)
vinyl-junkie

After so many pictures - time for some "final words":

MrMajestic's Buffalo 32 just sounds fantastic !

Hi there, MrMajestic, TPA guys and audio afficionados,

I just registered to share my personal experience with this fantastic build of MrMajestic's Buffalo 32s DAC which I just listen to --> BECAUSE IT IS MINE :-)

First of all: BIGGEST THANK YOU to MrMajestic for your support to follow my track and for the discussions we had during the last months about building a "reference DAC" ! Perfect work, mate !

I have no relation to TPA but to understand my intention I tell you this: I am a vinyl-based music lover (aka maniac) with many years of experience in sound systems etc. Trust my ears - the finished DAC I just received from MrMajestic sounds even better than it looks like ! It makes digital audio more listenable ! Except the transformer PCB boards we just used available quality components - no voodoo inside !

I followed various forum threads about Sabre ESS chip and Buffalo kits since they appear. IMHO the ESS chip is state-of-the-art nowadays and has better potential for "high end" audio application than most other DAC before (including various NOS 1541/1543 reincarnations, Wolfson, BB 179x, AD19xx concepts etc). It depends on the quality of components and the money you like to invest. The Buffalo 32s is not a cheap project (sigh) - but worth it ! Just wait until the first commercial products (and their reviews) with this chip are released and remember my words. But also keep in mind that almost everyone (!) who had the chance to compare "high end" digital audio to highest-grade vinyl reproduction systems always felt depressive ... vinyl still rules !

During the last year(s) I enjoyed a lot of commercial and professional DACs (and also some DIY projects) in the price rage up to x0,000 $ - all brands, just name it. Most DACs (I checked with various transports) already lost my interest because they really sound digitally sterile or hyper-analytical, some were restricted at the frequency extremes and some also too smooth and honey-sweet sounding - so IMHO far away from "realistic", they just don't capture me. I also tested various "high end" integrated CD and SACD players - with same effects. Finally I decided to give the ESS Sabre chip a chance.

From various threads I got the impression that most people judging, critizing or complaining about the ESS chip or the Buffalo DAC have never had a chance to compare it to real "reference" (DIY or commercial) solutions so I got in contact with MrMajestic (lucky me). I am no "guru" with golden ears, have never had any financial interest in audio gear and just trust my emotions when enjoying music. Also "amateur" listeners and "(girl)friends" who get excited and can't stop their tears when listening to (fe)male jazz/pop/soul voices, arias, massed strings etc and acoustic instruments and the impact of "real" live sound transferred by a huge sound system (like watching a movie in earthshaking 3D cinemas compared to home TV) just are best judges. Enjoying music is about transferring emotions - and "my" Buffalo 32s just does this and transfers GREAT EMOTIONS of the recorded music to the ears of the listener ! What else can well designed electronics do better ?

I know that my DAC is not really burned-in yet but the results so far are just much better than with the recent audio DACs I know personally (also MrMajestic did a comparison test at a hifi store ...). My DAC produces no hum, no noise is listenable (but some clicking noises occured when listening to HiRez data via I2S, now vanished). I must admit that (so far) my AKM4395/CS8420 24/96 based integrated CD player with Philips transport still sounds 5 % "different" which means: it produces more bass punch and more air between the tones, more realistic impression on voices (e.g. "see" opening lips or breathing or noise from crowd or tapping feet during recording session), more realistic timbre of instruments, holographic soundstage and my player also seems to be "faster" or more "direct". (Try to imagine: you drive a tuned-up 250-PS car running 200 km/h and you want to speed-up - it works but with a 480-PS Porsche it just happens ! ) This reads more complex than it can be realized when you listen - it depends also on your personal taste and preferences. If anyone can explain that please tell me. Beside that the Buffalo is far away from being a slow smoother ! Maybe I have to remove the resistors inside the Buffalo we added to lower the output voltage. (Russ/Brian: What do you think ?) From my experience I would not call the Buffalo 32s "the world's best DAC" but it belongs into the TOP league, especially for the price. And I still have not tested all options with this DAC !

Results of my output listening tests: IMHO the BNC output sounds a little bit better than the RCA S/PDIF output, AES/EBU not tested yet (no cable), but I2S seems to be the best choice. USB via Musiland 24/192 converter not yet tested because of lack of Mac drivers. Toslink via direct Mac 24/96 digital output was sounding great but some dislocks occured; an also used USB-Toslink converter at the Mac USB port sounded far inferior. Various cables were tested, also using high-quality powercords put the B32s a step forward.

Finally I still follow the arguments of various users that the B32s' output stage can be optimzed - time will tell when users share their experiences with various solutions for the new Buffalo II. But I will stay with this perfect 32s build as I think no other DIY or commercial product can really easily surpass its qualities. But some users now got impressions of "my" DAC and can rebuild it and maybe optimize it. Please do and share your results !

I also listened to the modified Denon DVD-1920 player you see in this photo story to feed the Buffalo DAC directly with the HiRez signal via I2S. Nice sound (better than PCM) but those Hybrid-SACDs I checked still sound inferior to the CD sound from the same discs played via Buffalo/Philips transport. Strange but true - can anyone comment ? The Denon used as a transport only for CDs just is no perfect choice (but it is a cheap and good multiplayer for movies and sounds). That's why I like to start a perfect DIY project with a CD-Pro2 based drive to connect it via I2S to my DAC (lots of concepts available in the net).

Before I forget: Also thanks to TPA (esp Russ and Brian) for developing those high-quality DIY kits - please keep on the good work ! Maybe you get "virused" by analog satisfaction and can rise your phono amp into the same league !

Enjoy music!
VJ

Edited by user Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:06:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed