Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomaspf  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:38:39 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Groups: Member

Hi Guys,

a few questions around the Ballsie and it's application with a Buffalo32S.

1. I ordered a balanced Placid with the intention to make that the balanced Power supply for the Buffalo and use the existing LCBPS for the Ballsie Lite. Does that sound reasonable?

2. Would you connect the grounds on the Placid and the LCBPS if you go this way?

3. Can I take the balanced signal on the output of a balanced Joshua Tree and feed it into the Ballsie to have the volume control apply to both? Will that degrade the sound of the balanced output?

4. Can I drive headhpones with the output of the Ballsie lite? What is the voltage swing and what impedance headphones would work well.

Cheers

Thomas

Edited by user Friday, October 30, 2009 8:57:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Beefy  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 10:08:56 AM(UTC)
Beefy

I don't know about the JT and headphone stuff...... but if it were me, I would just hook the Placid up to everything. So long as it doesn't get too hot, you should be A-O-K.
krgaunt  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 1:22:39 PM(UTC)
krgaunt

#1: I intend to do the same when I receive my Ballsie. Beefy is correct in his reply also.

In going the extra step of perfection, I'll be using the LCBPS that I have to run the spdif mux and toslink to also drive the Ballsie, and leave the Placids just for the Buffalo.

#2: In grounding you want to take care to avoid ground loops. I have a 14awg ground wire in a star configuration that connects to the power supplies and all the other boards. Since the ground planes on the Buffalo32S are connected on the board, I have a single ground connection to the board. Or another way, you can run a ground wire from the Ballsie GND terminal to the LCBPS and then connect that to your Placid or Buffalo.
#3 Others are better qualified to answer this than me, but here's what I think is true. From the Ballsie schematic, it looks like it has a high enough input impedance to not cause distortion. The op amps are high input impedance devices.
#4 I intend to use Ballsie for this purpose as well. Looking at the LM4562 specs, it says it drives 600 ohm loads easily. The OPA2227PA can also drive 600 ohm load. My plan is to start with the volume very low and then turn it up and until my ears melt, then back off a little from there. If your headphones are very sensitive to the volume, you can increase R9 & 10--assuming you are only driving headphones from the ballsie.

RossG
thomaspf  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2009 3:03:32 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Thank you for thr feedback so far.

So you basically have connected all the grounds on your power supplies?

For the headphones I am less concerned about my HD600 but more about some of the in ear monitors.

SuperFi 5pro 21 Ohms, Etymotic ER-4P 27 Ohms

Cheers

Thomas
krgaunt  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 1:48:53 PM(UTC)
krgaunt

thomaspf wrote:

So you basically have connected all the grounds on your power supplies?

Thomas

On my system, each board has only one ground connection to a common single ground wire. This helps to prevent ground loops. On simple systems with little more than a couple power supplies and a B32S board, then one may be able to get away with connecting the power supply grounds to each of their respective terminals on the B32S board. On the other hand, I have 2 TOSLINK modules, a S/PDIF mux, the B32S, the Ballsie, and 4 power supplies (and maybe a future audio controller and OTTO switch). With all these devices I had to be wise in making the ground connections to prevent ground loops. Previously, on my B24 in order to get it running as quickly as possible, I had a number of ground connections to the Buffalo board. A high frequency oscillation developed, and was heard through my speakers during certain sections of music with lots of high frequencies (ex. violins). Proper grounding solved the problem.

Ross
thomaspf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:38:57 PM(UTC)
thomaspf

Thank You, that is a very interesting perspective.

Brian/Russ any recommendation on how to best set up grounding for multiple power supplies and a Buffalo 32s with a S/PDIF mux board and now the Ballsie Lite.

Cheers

Thomas
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:16:08 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
If you use the S/PDIF output of the MUX, it is transformer isolated, so grounding becomes irrelevant between the two devices. If you use I2S, you can link the grounds of the two supplies (Buffalo VD and Mux), or even share the same supply, then leave the I2S ground link out (it is there to be sure the TTL voltages are of the same potential).

Grounding of the analog stages can use a similar approach. In fact, I would probably share to power supply between the Buffalo VA and the Ballsie. If you have a dual mono setup for the Buffalo, you can add a third supply for the Ballsie and link the ground as close to the supplies as possible.

Running all the grounds together to a central ground is not a bad idea if you are using several supplies. Keep in mind that the Buffalo's VA and VD grounds are connected on the ground plane of the board, so using the keep it close to that.

I would leave earth ground out of it, by using a ground breaker between the start ground and mains ground (earth) to keep it "out of the loop" unless there is a fault.
thomaspf  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:11:16 AM(UTC)
thomaspf

Thank you Brian. I have an older Buffalo32s and have made the gound connection at the power supplies. I guess I will add the Placid ground to that and be done.

Cheers

Thomas
Rss Feed  Atom Feed