Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
rangersilme  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:29:45 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

Groups: Member

Hi,

I sent you a long email a couple of days ago talking about some trouble I've been having about maybe killing my spdif board, but much progress has been made since then. I've tracked the problem, and it wasn't the regulators; it was accidentally shorting DVDD from the slide switches because I misread the schematic/ordered the wrong switch Brick wall . I've fixed that and now have the LEDs light up properly. However I'm not sure if this burned any components, mainly the receiver chip.

Last night I hooked it up to a cd player, and it mainly outputs this snowy noise, though at points you can hear bits of music VERY faintly in the background, and the noise stops when the music stops. This morning I hooked it up to my computer and it outputs noise no matter if anything's playing or not. Do you have any idea what would cause this/how to fix it? I replaced the buffer chip, but no change. Bad receiver chip/other component or Opus? I ordered the bare boards from you because I wanted to develop my soldering skills so I understand if you can't diagnose untested boards but any suggestions would be much appreciated. The last components for my USB receiver should be coming some time next week, so I don't have anything else to test the Opus with.

Things I've tried:
*Pin format on opus/spdif is the same as in the manual.
*Connected both grounds on the PS
*IVY works just fine and sounds excellent!

I can take pictures of my setup if it would help. Also I assume the crystal used in the SPDIF board is the same as in the USB board, correct?

And thank you for all of the work you've put into these thing! I'm pretty anxious to get this thing working.

-M
glt  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:23:15 PM(UTC)
glt

Does it go away after playing for ~10 minites? I had a similar situation, where I would get snowy sound when first powering up the DAC but after about 10 minutes of playing that snowy sound, it would just go away. It happened over a few days. Then it disappeared. I also have a metro so I was suspecting Metronome. The spec says that a power cycle would not reset the chip so I played around with the resetting pin and although It did not cure the snowy sound right away, The next time I powered up the DAC from cold, the problem went away.
rangersilme  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:13:27 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

Hmm interesting, thanks for the tip. I tried playing it for a couple of hours though and no change.

I reordered some components so I'll try replacing those to see if it fixes the problem. If anyone has similar experiences or has any suggestions I'll be glad to try them.

Russ/Brian, one of the thing's I'm uncertain about is the regulators/oscillator I'm using. The regulator is TI's version LP2985A-33DBVT, and the crystal is a spare I ordered for the USB board since it looked like it had the same specs.

Thanks
-M
rangersilme  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:34:48 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

The parts for the USB receiver came in and I got some nice music out of the DAC. When I hooked it up to the Opus, however, I got the same snowy noise...however, I also get loud pops out of one channel.

Two questions:

*Is there a way to hook up the spdif receiver to the USB receiver DAC to see if the spdif works?

*What's wrong with the Opus? Could something have happened with the wolfson chip? I'm confident that I've used the correct parts. It sounds like you can make out single notes, but anything more complicated is noise. Also, I can make out higher frequencies much better than lower ones.

I'm not sure how much you can help on the last question, but if it sounds like a specific thing you may have heard about then any help would be appreciated. If it sounds like a problem with the chip I can try to replace it...*cringe*

Thanks!
-M

Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:57:53 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
A few questions:

Did you build the Opus or get the pre-assembled module?

Do you have power lines running anywhere near the I2S lines?

A picture is worth a thousand words...
rangersilme  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:19:21 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

Hi Brian

Yes I assembled the Opus myself.

The modules are not in a case, so I have everything set up linearly away from each other, so the signal lines are away from the power cables.

Would a picture of the pin configuration of the Opus help?

Thanks,
-M
glt  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:22:24 PM(UTC)
glt

Snowy sound will also happen if the sample rate setting in the WM8741 does not match the incoming sample rate. For example I use Metro to emit 192KHz. If I set the WM8741 to Medium sample rate, I get snowy sound (more like white noise) and if I set to low sample rate, I get no sound at all. But I have not tested the other way around.
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:23:19 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Yes. A picture of the whole opus board and a picture of the whole setup would be good.

It is possible that the chip got cooked during soldering. I have done it before... the results are not always the same. Let's check it all out though, it may be something simple.
rangersilme  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:07:55 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

Here's a picture of the setup:

UserPostedImage

And the Opus:

UserPostedImage

Sorry for the crappy lighting.
glt  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:37:17 PM(UTC)
glt

You seem to have OSR set for medium sampling rate. Try moving it position "0" for low sampling rate.
rangersilme  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:58:23 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

Having OSR set at 1 causes nothing to play. Having it both open and set at 0 causes the noise, though 0 might be a little cleaner, I can't tell.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that the noise is a lot quieter compared to the USB's DAC (which plays at full volume)...is this normal? The clicks from the Opus in the one channel sound to be full volume.

Also, I notice when I turn it on, there's a quick burst of noise which fades out, and when I turn it off there's a small click and after a moment it sounds like a record scratching for half a second. I'm not sure if that means anything...it's a mystery.

-M
glt  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:57:06 PM(UTC)
glt

Hmmm. Can't think of anything else. Here is a picture of the switch setup for your reference: http://4.bp.blogspot.com...h/opusSwitchSettings.jpg

rangersilme  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 2:49:03 PM(UTC)
rangersilme

Alright thanks anyways mate. I'll try to replace the chip at some point.

I suppose there's no way to test the spdif receiver with the USB DAC though is there?
ShinyFalcon  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:58:36 PM(UTC)
ShinyFalcon

Awesome, maybe this is my problem as well. I have set the Metronome to 192kHz and left OSR open, and hear white noise. I'll play with it tomorrow, my wires drove me nuts and I disassembled everything...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed