Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
elviz  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:50:06 PM(UTC)
elviz

Groups: Member

Hi,

I am very interested in the upcoming Sabre32S DAC and i think i am going to order one when it is available. My aim is to get the most basic application of the board, for now that is. However, i am new to DIY audio, so i have a few basic/stupid questions.

1) If i go for the dual mono power version, I need to get three transformers for the PSs in additio to the "dual mono kit"?
2) Those transformers would be 2x 15V (analogs) and 1x 9V (digital) and i'll configure them by connecting the primaries of each tranformer together for 230V support (i get 230V coming from wall outlet)?
3) Then i connect those three transformers into a single 230V line without any extra electonics or decoupling or anything?

4) I am using PCLink II as the digital transport, which is connected to PC with USB. The device has i2s, XLR and RCA and optical outputs. However my PC is several (5+) meters away from the hifi equipment. For the best result should I
a) Extend the USB cable (possibly with a USB amplifier) so i could connect the device to the sabre32s with I2S. I hear I2S can't take long signal lines.
b) Use long XLR cable (which i am using with Bechmark DAC1 atm), but there seems to be just SE and I2S inputs in the sabre32s. How to implement this?
c) Stick with long single-ended spdif line and be happy with it?

I am looking forward to updates on your page. Hopefully you'll have enough hardware for everyone ;).

edit: One more question: If i wanted to protect the DAC with a fuse, should i have the fuse slot connected into either wire between the transformers and the mains inlet. What kind of amperes would be good for the fuse?

ps. You could have this kind of "basic question" thread as sticky under each topic. As Sabre32s is easier to setup, it will interest more low-end DIY people like me.

Edited by user Monday, March 30, 2009 12:20:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed