Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
cata02  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:33:05 AM(UTC)
cata02

Groups: Member

Hello everybody,
I'd like to invest in a Buffalo DAC for my home setup. i only listen to music from my computer (i'm an it guy); i have an creative x-fi music and an onboard realtek alc888 chip. the creative board has spdif but i need to buy an aditional digital io panel to use that; the motherboard has optical out & coaxial (spdif).

mi target is to use the opticalout from my motherboard to a buffalo dac and from there to a vincent amplifier using balanced cables (and from there to a pair of jamo concert speakers).

i'm not an audio/electrical expert; i'll have a friend help me build the dac.

from what i understand the new buffalo does not require an separate current-to-voltage stage and can accept spdif coax input. is that correct?
if so then the only thing i need to use (buy+build) is a buffalo dac + power supply + optical receiver.

pleease advise me.

thanks!
dan631  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:44:03 PM(UTC)
dan631

Yes, I believe all your assumptions are correct.
cata02  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 5:44:22 AM(UTC)
cata02

ok, thanks.
so i'll need 1 traf, 1 low current power supply, 1 toslink adapter, 1 buffalo dac.

two more question.
1. are the above components sensitive to eletrical interference? i just got the ideea of building an home theater pc, and i'm considering putting all the components in one case (if they all fit).

http://www.antec.com/Bel...e_it/product.php?id=MzI=
an example case.

2. is it a good ideea to use the spdif input of the buffalo dac directly from the toslink adapter, or add the spdif->i2s converter to the mix?
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 6:33:04 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
cata02 wrote:
ok, thanks.
so i'll need 1 traf, 1 low current power supply, 1 toslink adapter, 1 buffalo dac.

two more question.
1. are the above components sensitive to eletrical interference? i just got the ideea of building an home theater pc, and i'm considering putting all the components in one case (if they all fit).

http://www.antec.com/Bel...e_it/product.php?id=MzI=
an example case.

2. is it a good ideea to use the spdif input of the buffalo dac directly from the toslink adapter, or add the spdif->i2s converter to the mix?

You will actually need two transformers and two power supplies. One half of a LCDPS can power the digital section of the DAC, and a LCBPS will power the two analog sections (+-15VDC). Each supply needs it's own transformer.

I would feed the Buffalo directly from the Toslink module.

I also would not put the DAC in the same case as your computer. Not that the Buffalo is particularly susceptible to noise, but the inside of a computer is particularly noisy.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed