Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
NicMac  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:50:49 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Groups: Member

I have just seen that the long-awaited (and me still waiting......) Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player will feature DSD over HDMI. I see that DSD input is one of the Buffalo's features? Will/would it be possible to have the (switchable) option of selecting between DSD and PCM without having to have two Buffalo32's?
Well maybe just dreaming.....
MrMajestic  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:36:40 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sidenius112 wrote:
I have just seen that the long-awaited (and me still waiting......) Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player will feature DSD over HDMI. I see that DSD input is one of the Buffalo's features? Will/would it be possible to have the (switchable) option of selecting between DSD and PCM without having to have two Buffalo32's?
Well maybe just dreaming.....

Since DSD over HDMI is encrypted you will not be able to tap that signal into the Buffalo. You need to extract the signal either before its encrypted or after its decrypted. The Oppo DVD players converts the DSD to PCM as well and that not optimal and wont give you the raw DSD signal either. I modded my Denon DVD-1920 fairly easily for this purpose and it sounds great. Im planning to use an OTTO to switch between the DSD signal from the Denon and the PCM signal from the SPDIF mux.

Edited by user Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:37:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NicMac  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:42:53 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Oppo say that the BDP-83 supports "DSD-to-analog without any PCM". Maybe it is using the ESS Sabre DAC.... It would not be the first time that Oppo uses high-quality chips in "entry-level" players. Anyway I was just told by Oppo that the BDP-83 will only be marketed in North America and that it will be strictly Region 1/A compliant...

Your plan of using OTTO to switch between DSD and PCM sounds very versatile and I might try that out too.
Just need a source of DSD.... Do you have a link to the description and some pictures of the DVD-1920 mod you did?

Thanks!

MrMajestic  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:00:42 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Sidenius112 wrote:
Oppo say that the BDP-83 supports "DSD-to-analog without any PCM". Maybe it is using the ESS Sabre DAC.... It would not be the first time that Oppo uses high-quality chips in "entry-level" players. Anyway I was just told by Oppo that the BDP-83 will only be marketed in North America and that it will be strictly Region 1/A compliant...

Your plan of using OTTO to switch between DSD and PCM sounds very versatile and I might try that out too.
Just need a source of DSD.... Do you have a link to the description and some pictures of the DVD-1920 mod you did?

Thanks!

I just read the info about the Oppo BD player. You might be able to tap the DSD signal on it, but I have no idea what chip it has or the layout so there is no way of knowing until someone opens one I guess :)

There is info here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/...stid=1497241#post1497241

and here:
http://www.twistedpearau...t.aspx?g=posts&t=457

I didn't do anything different on mine.

EDIT:

Apparently the Oppo will feature the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC. But it might still be hard to tap depending on the layout. The Denon DVD-1920 is dead easy.

Edited by user Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:12:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NicMac  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 4:58:56 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Thanks for the links. Just got a DVD-1920 on eBay for 116 euro. Hope I did not pay to much. As suggested by Russ I will try to fit in Buffalo, IVY with their respective PSU/transformers replacing the analog output circuits of the player. Just one doubt: as I understand there will be DSD output from SACD, but not from DVD-A disks. I can live with that but what about ordinary CD's? Will there be the DSD output?
Thanks
Brian Donegan  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 6:02:21 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
No. Regular CDs will output 44.1/16 PCM. There in lies the trick.
MrMajestic  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 6:57:52 AM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Im going to try to tap the PCM signal as well to get DVD-Audio discs to output to the Buffalo as well as SACD. This would also transfer the signal from regular CDs as well as DVDs. Hopefully the Buffalo will accept the signal. I will most likely have to put a switch between the DSD and the PCM wires. With a little luck one output will be dead when the other is output, thus negating the need for a switch. i would have to try that first though.
NicMac  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:52:52 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Is the DVD-Audio PCM signal down-sampled to 44.1/16 when converted to S/PDIF out? Otherwise one could connect it to the MUX module (or some simpler version of this), connect this to the Buffalo via PCM and let the Buffalo choose the between PCM and DSD? Feasible? I guess it would be possible to silence the connection between the DSD-signal and S/PDIF so as to block the emission of S/PDIF when a SACD is popped into the player.

When I look at the specs for the DVD1920 it says that it features "True 24-bit/96kHz Digital PCM 2-Ch. Output *24/192 on DLink, IEEE-1394". Is this signal also encrypted like the one on HDMI? Is there a FireWire socket on the player?

Denon DVD120 specs:
http://www.usa.denon.com/productdetails/418.asp
MrMajestic  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:18:53 PM(UTC)
MrMajestic

Sidenius112 wrote:
Is the DVD-Audio PCM signal down-sampled to 44.1/16 when converted to S/PDIF out? Otherwise one could connect it to the MUX module (or some simpler version of this), connect this to the Buffalo via PCM and let the Buffalo choose the between PCM and DSD? Feasible? I guess it would be possible to silence the connection between the DSD-signal and S/PDIF so as to block the emission of S/PDIF when a SACD is popped into the player.

When I look at the specs for the DVD1920 it says that it features "True 24-bit/96kHz Digital PCM 2-Ch. Output *24/192 on DLink, IEEE-1394". Is this signal also encrypted like the one on HDMI? Is there a FireWire socket on the player?

Denon DVD120 specs:
http://www.usa.denon.com/productdetails/418.asp

DVD-Audio copy protection will turn off digital output, that's why you would have to tap the signal before it enters the DAC chip. Same goes for the SACD signal, copy protection will shut down digital output. But tapping the signal would give un-molested PCM and DSD. My hope is that each of the outputs will be quiet when the other one is working. I'm going to hook up an oscilloscope to see if that's true.

The specs states that it does not have the Denon Link (DLink) or IEEE-1394 output. My guess is that if it did have that socket, it would be encrypted.

EDIT:

Actually, when reading the manual, it looks like copy-protected DVD-Audio discs will be downsampled and output via S/PDIF. I haven't tried it though.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:25:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed