Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eddie  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 2:17:30 PM(UTC)
Eddie

Groups: Member

Hello all,

I received my Buffalo + IVY in december and soldered everything together during Christmas holiday. I connect it to my computer with Toslink, but since it was for me the first time it took me a long, long time to get this going. Anyway two days ago I had sound for the first time. The first thing I noticed in about one second was that the left channel played much louder than the right. I roughly estimate the difference form listening at different positions to about 10 dB. Any possible explanations? This difference was stable during two evenings of listening two hours.

Further I notice that with every new song the first fraction of a second is missing. When a song starts abrubtly this is quite nasty. I have not seen my two problems in other messages on this forum and up to now I did not notice any other dropouts.

A final question: does this stuff have a break-in time? In other words: does the sound change/improve the first hours/days/weeks when in use? The reason for this question is that from first hearing I do not really share the enthousiasm of other persons on this forum. I do perceive a clear improvement in the bass: it is definitely deeper and more detailed than from my previous DAC. But the mids, highs and sound stage are maybe marginally better. This is to some extend influenced by the imbalance, but maybe my old DAC with USB was already quite good (www.twindac.com). Additional questions to this: Did anyone of you ever compare Toslink vs USB on the same DAC? Is there a big difference between Toslink drivers and/or fibers? I am running my first test with a cheap plastic fiber.

Kind regards,
Eddie
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 2:23:11 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Do you have the microcontroller (IC4) properly installed?
sangram  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 11:30:58 PM(UTC)
sangram

@Eddie: I can only answer your second question about break-in. On the Buffalo there is some break-in but I suspect it is more due to the ears adjusting to the sound. In reality the change is ever so slight and it does not take much time to settle down, as (IMO) there is no cap in the signal path at all. I came from a e-mu1212M's analog board but modded heavily, and the change is fairly pronounced and dramatic from there. I don't know that the soundstage or imaging was much improved myself, but the tonality was more 'correct', accurate and honest but without being sterile or harsh. There would be room for improvement for sure, with a better I/V but for now I'm totally satisfied.

As for your case, you can't judge a piece of equipment if the levels are off in the two channels. Imbalance is one of the prime reasons for poor soundstage and overall listening experience.
Eddie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:11:41 PM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:
Do you have the microcontroller (IC4) properly installed?

Hello Russ,

I do not see an IC4, there is an SW1 on the circuit board that looks a little bit like an IC, is that it? On the circuit diagram I see SW1,1 SW1,2 and SW1,3 to me that looks like a relay switch. Is that again the same thing? Why do you call it a microcontroller? What is it supposed to do? I see no options to control it. I positioned this part in the same way as on a photo that I found in this forum and it seemed logical to me. (The black line with the two dots besides it at the power supply connector side).

I made a photo of my IVY after soldering it. I tried to include it in this message but I did not succeed. How should I do this or shall I send the photo by email?

UserPostedImage

Kind regards,
Eddie
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:45:38 PM(UTC)
Russ White

HI Eddie,

On the Buffalo, there is an IC4. It is next to the DIP switches. Is it installed?
Eddie  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:28:53 AM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:
HI Eddie,

On the Buffalo, there is an IC4. It is next to the DIP switches. Is it installed?

Hello Russ,

Yes it is, the top line reads 12F675 and the dip on the package is at the side of the power supply connector (as it is on the Buffalo-layout). I have the four DIP-switches at '+' as recommended with the use of SPDIF and the single DIP-switch is at on. I did not change these settings up to now.

Kind regards,
Eddie
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 7:23:07 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi Eddie, the reason I asked is because your symptoms sound like a DAC that is not being configured correctly via I2C. Is it possible the PIC is in backward?
Eddie  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 4:39:58 PM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:
Hi Eddie, the reason I asked is because your symptoms sound like a DAC that is not being configured correctly via I2C. Is it possible the PIC is in backward?

Hello Russ,

Is the 'PIC' the same as 'IC4'? As far as I can tell from photos, layout and manual 'IC4' is mounted correctly. I am using a Toslink fiber for connection with the PC and your Toslink-module to convert to SPDIF. All DIP-switches are set to SPDIF-mode as indicated in the manual.

Kind regards,
Eddie
Russ White  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 5:08:07 PM(UTC)
Russ White

What power supplies are you using? Can you attach a picture?

You attach a picture by clicking on the attach button (upper right of the message) after you have submitted your reply.

Edited by user Friday, February 27, 2009 5:09:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:04:22 PM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:
What power supplies are you using?

You attach a picture by clicking on the attach button (upper right of the message) after you have submitted your reply.

OK, I missed that button. I trimmed the supply voltages to the specifications in the manual well within 0.1 Volt. The card board boxes with aluminium foil for shielding are not yet complete. I have carefully checked that the shielding makes no short circuit. I have a higher resolution photo if you want but that is almost 1 MB.

I just double checked the supply voltages. The voltage nearest to the Buffalo picture measured 6.61 V, the other one 6.01 V. The voltages on the IVY are +15.01 V and -15.03 V with crossed wires going from supply to IVY. (The manual appears to be incorrect on this point).

Further I checked all six wires going from Buffalo to IVY, they are correct. I measured the outputs of the IVY with the power off. They are shorted to ground, is that what the relay does?

Kind regards,
Eddie

Eddie attached the following image(s):
P1010100C.JPG (91kb) downloaded 284 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Brian Donegan  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:11:08 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Did you attach a picture? If it's too big, you can email to us at Questions@twistedpearaudio.com

[EDIT]: see the pic now. Please send a higher resolution copy via email.

Edited by user Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:11:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:35:31 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi Eddie,

Yes when the power is off the SE outputs should be shorted to GND by the relay.

A couple of points:

1) Its impossible to tell from the picture if the DAC outputs are correctly wired to the IVY. I know you said they are correct, but make sure you check with a DMM.

2) With the TORX module you can skip the SPDIF comparator on the Buffalo as its already TTL output. Open the SPDIF switch and wire directly to D1 instead.

Cheers!
Russ
Eddie  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:55:01 AM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:

1) .. make sure you check with a DMM.

2) Open the SPDIF switch and wire directly to D1 instead.

Hello Russ,

1. Lots of other occupations last week, but the checks I performed on the connections were already done with a DMM.
2. I connected the Toslink module to D1 and found a significant improvement in sound quality! My problems with the unbalance and the intros did not disappear.

Yesterday evening I did a check with a test-CD that has a mono 1-kHz signal recorded at 0 dB. For a reference I measured the outputs of a cheap CD-player. It gave 1.69 Volt-AC and ~1 mV-DC on both channels.

When I measured the Buffalo I saw rather strange readings both AC and DC but the left and right channel were always identical.

On the IVY I measured with the 0 dB sine wave: 1.85 V-AC at the left channel and 0.469 at the right channel. The DC is -8 mV on both channels. The difference is a factor 4, that makes 12 dB difference, not far from the 10 dB that I estimated by ear. The left channel is indeed the loudest when playing music.

If I switch off the sine wave I measure a V-DC of -1.01 at the left and -0.257 at the right. These DC values change with time. The AC-values in this case are 7 mV on both channels.

I have heard that it should be possible to connect the Buffalo directly to an amplifier. I would like to test this, but how should I do that with single ended inputs? How can I measure the outputs of the Buffalo to check its performance?

Kind regards,
Eddie
Russ White  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:20:06 PM(UTC)
Russ White

HI Eddy, You would just put a cap at either output on each side of the DAC to take it single ended direct.

Have you tested the output of the DAc itself? (Not with the IVY)
Eddie  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 2:08:59 PM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:

1. just put a cap at either output on each side of the DAC to take it single ended direct.

2. Have you tested the output of the DAc itself? (Not with the IVY)

Hello Russ,

I am sorry but this is too short for me.

1. On Internet I found several ways of going from balanced to unbalanced:
-connect pin 1 and 3
-with resistors
-with a transformer
-with opamps (like in the IVY),
but never with capacitors. I attach a figure that I made up myself, is that what you mean? What value do I need? Something like 1 uF?

2. So I should disconnect the IVY in order to measure the outputs of the Buffalo? (I think I now understand why my DMM dropped to zero shortly after connection: the IVY-input is in a feedback loop). Can I leave the outputs of the Buffalo open or is it better to have a load resistance, e.g. 10 kOhm?

Kind regards,
Eddie
Eddie attached the following image(s):
Bal-Unbal.jpg (13kb) downloaded 174 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Russ White  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 2:53:16 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi, that image is incorrect, if you do that the two signal will cancel each other. Instead remoce thcap on the "-" output and just use the "+" with cap and GND.

Yes disconnect the IVY, as it will effectively null the output voltage at the DAC.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Monday, March 9, 2009 6:47:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie  
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:08:07 PM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:
...Yes disconnect the IVY, ...

Hello Russ,

This afternoon I did what you suggested. First I measured the outputs of the Buffalo with the 1 kHz, 0 dB sine wave. Both channels gave 1.68 V so that was promising. Then I listened to three CD's but already after the first few seconds I noticed that the channels are now balanced and the sound is better than with the IVY: more detail, more natural. I now must come back to my first post: the Buffalo is a lot better than my old Twindac!

One nasty problem, however, remains: at the beginning of a song the lock-led is out for a moment and the first fraction of the song is missing. Sometimes I hear a click when the lock-led switches on again. If the song starts abrubtly then the first word a the text is severely distorted. I guess that this is not the normal way for the Buffalo to start. Unfortunately I have no other options than the Toslink to get the signal to the DAC. Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

Kind regards,
Eddie
Russ White  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:57:02 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi Eddie,

Some SPDIF sources actually don't send SPDIF data between tracks. This forces the DAC to relock during which time it will mute and unmute, this can take a few seconds. There is not really anything that can be done about that except to use a source that does not stop sending data between tracks.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:55:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:20:47 AM(UTC)
Eddie

Russ White wrote:
..... use a source that does not stop sending data between tracks.

Hello Russ,

Thanks for the information.

Will I get rid of these clicks if I use USB? My previous DAC had USB and never gave clicks at the start of a song.

Another solution could be to force the computer to send SPDIF data inbetween tracks. Unfortunately I have no idea how that should be done. Could you give me any clues on this?

Kind regards,
Eddie
Rss Feed  Atom Feed