Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arthur  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:36:58 AM(UTC)
Arthur

Groups: Member

I bought a Buffalo some time ago, and tried it with a ZAPfilter2 - it did work, but not too well because of the high gain in the ZAP filter. At that time I used a toroid trafo for for Buffalo and another one for the ZP2.

Then I bought an IVY for the Buffalo and a LCBPS, but dicided to use the same trafo for both powersupplies - is that a stupid decision ? The LCBPS worked fine until I connected the IVY, then one side went very hot and it would not regulate to more than 8 v. I changed the powersupply for another one I had lying around, which worked. When I connected the DAC to my stereo the sound kind of ´blobbed´ like it would synch correctly, but some of the time there was music comming out - but it sounded kind of ´scratchy´ and then one side of the LCDPS got so hot that one of the power resistors in the PS unsoldered itself.

Do you think the problem could be that I only use one trafo for both supplies ?
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:13:00 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Absolutely. You cannot use the same transformer for both supplies, as it creates a short when the ground is formed on the bi-polar supply.

Arthur  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 2:30:10 AM(UTC)
Arthur

Groups: Member

Yes thinking it over I can see that of course there is a different mass potential on the 2 power supplies. I thought I had ruined the whole thing, but no - it works, and I am a happy guy :-)

It sounds fantastic ... but it also got a tuff burn-in ;-)

Next project is a dual COD with the ZAPfilter 2.

Thanks for the quick delivery, quick answer to my question and fantastic products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed