Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eddie  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:00:21 AM(UTC)
Eddie

Groups: Member

On November 8 I bought the Buffalo DAC together with the IVY and their power supplies. So I have one month now to think about how to assemble everything. I plan to put the different parts in to small metal boxes to shield them from each others and for disturbances from outside.

That brings up two questions: 1) what are the sizes of the circuit boards with all components mounted, and 2) is the amount of dissipated heat low enough to safely use closed boxes?

Kind regards,
Eddie
PeterSt  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:07:51 AM(UTC)
PeterSt

Hey Eddie ... I actually have the same question as you have (awaitening the Buffalo incl. PSU and IVY in a few weeks).
But guys, is it difficult to answer ?

For me it is about putting together a (43cm) multi-DAC box, finishing the first one right now. Things get pretty tight already and it would be nice to know in advance how to stuff things today.
Please also mention the height of each module (excl. spacers).

Thanks,
Peter
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:01:51 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hey Guys,

I will have to defer to Brian on some of this as I am not sure the height of some of the current parts(heatsinks, caps etc) for some boards(PS mainly).

All DAC modules including the power supply ar 3.3" x 2" L x W. So that bit is common. :)

The buffalo and IVY modules are ~ .60" tall.

The PSU height is pretty much dictated by the height of the heat sinks(which can be changed) and the large electrolytic caps.

The standard setup with the IVY combo the modules should be fine in a closed case. The warmest unit will be the VD side of the LCDPS power supply. It is OK as long as it stays < 75C or so.

You should have lots of flexibility case wise.

I always suggest stacking the IVY below the Buffalo.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!
Russ
christensenleif@msn.com  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:26:46 AM(UTC)
christensenleif@msn.com

hello Peter
just ordered my buffalo + i/v myself and wonder how youre going to hook up against your pc?
regarding chassis I thought I´d just breaboard it first to see what I end up with in terms of i/v conversion and I2S module.Is there a firewire to i2s module anywhere to buy.otherwise I´ll probably stick with Doede´s usb card and wait for the new usb 3.0 std.
best
Leif
Norway
PeterSt  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:59:44 AM(UTC)
PeterSt

Hi Leif,

I am going to try the Firewire-I2S route with this :

http://www.wavefrontsemi...80c9d88e55dbe9fecfd2b159

http://www.profusionplc....tml?prdtyp=digital%20i.o
(click the topline with DICE-II-PROM)

I'm not sure yet it is going to workout though. All is a bit vague around this product. Way expensive as well (360 euro + shipping), but then I can spread the cost over two DACs hehe.
So far I ordered it (I think !) but didn't receive it within the next day as promised.
Better wait for my results first ...

Best,
Peter

Edited by user Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:03:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 2:28:49 AM(UTC)
Eddie

Hello PeterSt,

Nice to see you here. Your solution appears quite complicated to me. The motherboard of my PC has SPDIF and Toslink outputs. So I bought the Toslink module with my Buffalo and Ivy. This gives the additional advantage of having no electrical contact between PC and DAC.

I figured out an easy way to make shielded boxes with aluminium foil that can be any size that fits. I will definitely try to avoid temperatures of 75 C, for me handwarm is the limit to be on the safe side.

Kind regards,
Eddie
xsmid4  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:09:11 PM(UTC)
xsmid4

inside the box you can have temperatures above 60c degrees, according to standard only case heatsinks should have no more than 60C , I think.

I will wire the case in class II, so protection earth (PE) not connected to case, digital and analog power supply grounds are conected inside ESS Sabre via 9R, so I will connect only the power supply ground for IVY to case with short wire. and analog output ground at XLR connector via 470pF to case.

Analog grounds are connected with PS grounds, always there is only one ground reference, so connecting the PS ground of IVY to case should be sufficient, it will be common star-shape grounding.

But if you already use integrated EMI filter in AC connector, then you need to connect PE to case. If you will use filter without connecting PE to case then place some PCB between AC connector and transformator with 2x39mH choke and 47n/275Vac X2 capacitor.

Edited by user Sunday, January 4, 2009 3:18:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed