Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrciave  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:18:37 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Groups: Member

OK, maybe an overkill project, but as per thread title. I'm trying to realize a LMS (Loudspeaker Management System) with a miniDSP miniSHARC and 4x Opus DACs (8ch total).

Problem is, how to fan out the I2S lines to the 4 DACs.

miniSHARC has the following pins:
MCLK
LRCLK
BCLK
I2S CH1&2
I2S CH3&4
I2S CH5&6
I2S CH7&8
GND

Now, if I connect one Opus DAC I can get sound perfectly. But if I connect two (by fanning out MCLK, LRCLK and BCLK with Y cables) I get only noise. So, if with 2 I get no sound, I suppose with 3 and 4 will get only worse.

Some quick internet search seems to say that fanning out in Y shape should be OK, but it's not. Somebody recommends fan out buffers, but there's no quick & clear way to do it, and my skills and knowledge are way not enough to design my own clock distributor circuit. Can't find anything ready, by the way.

I suppose the obvious answer would be "Why not use a Buffalo 8ch?", but since I already own 3 Opus DACs, I'd like to be able to re-use them.

Any suggestion? Or, could any of you guys at Twisted Pear design an easy-to-stack clock distributor to mate miniSHARC with 4x Opus DACs?

Again, I understand the typical way is miniSHARC + Buffalo. But somehow I love the sound of my Opuses and would like to go down that route.
dariedel2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:30:53 PM(UTC)
dariedel2

United States

I was originally going to try this with 3 Opus. I decided to go the Buffalo route. However, there is a thread on the MiniDSP site in the USBstreamer section where someone had success wiring the clocks one after the other in a single line instead of fanning them out. that might get you in the right direction.
mrciave  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:52:57 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Thank you dariedel2. Tried both fanout (star) and daisy chain (miniSHARC to Opus 1, Opus 1 to Opus 2...). Both same, noise & no sound. I saw that thread, actually also found another one where daisy chain failed and fanout worked!
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:00:55 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
How long are your wires? I assume you are stacking the DACs.

Edited by user Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:05:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mrciave  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:01:11 PM(UTC)
mrciave

Yes, stacking the DACs and the miniSHARC is facing them. So wires are around 5cm.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed