Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
***markus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:32:23 PM(UTC)
***markus

Groups: Member
Germany

Hello together,

I have a very simple setup with just the Buffalo III DAC board (new one from this year) with the Tridents and the Toslink adaptor. S/PDIF connection is directly via D1, D2 - D8 are not connected. All DIP switches are in default position. Output is via two Sowter 3603 transformers to my preamp.

When S/PDIF Toslink is used from my CD player I have a brilliant output, very impressive. When I use S/PDIF Coax from my CD player I have constant irregular dropouts every few seconds. The same is when I use Toslink via Apple Airport Express - constant dropouts. Actually I am not sure if the effect is caused by the same problem. Maybe the signal from the Coax output is too weak and I should use an S/PDIF adaptor board therefore (like S/PDIF 4:1 MUX)? Maybe the DAC has a problem with the Airport clock signal?

Any advice or recommendation is highly welcome!

Regards,
Markus

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 8:58:23 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Are you trying to connect the Coax S/PDIF directly to the D1 pin? This will not work, since the S/PDIF is consumer level (+/- 0.5V p-p), and the D1 requires TTL-level S/PDIF. We sell S/PDIF level-converters for this application.
***markus  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:31:46 AM(UTC)
***markus

Germany

Thank you for the feedback Brian. That makes sense to me. We are talking of the single S/PDIF level converter, as mentioned in the integration guide, right?

Right now I have checked the Toslink adaptor again. It was configured for TTL level output. So this was the reason I assume, why it did not work properly, when directly connected to the DAC. Interestingly it worked fine with the output from my CD player.
***markus  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:03:09 AM(UTC)
***markus

Germany

Disappointingly the single s/pdif level converter is now (also) sold out in the shop. Actually I don't want to buy the S/PDIF-4 input board, with the need for an additional switching solution, as I am aiming for a very simple and lean setup. In fact my first choice would have been the Buffalo III/SE, but this is also sold out... What would be the second best choice?
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:27:16 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The single S/PDIF module is back in stock. Inventory count was wrong.

I expect a large batch of boards in the next few days. They will include BIIIse boards, so they too should be back in stock shortly.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed