Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
akras  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:08:37 AM(UTC)
akras

Groups: Member
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have just connected my brand new board (received this week), and it behaves strangely.

When SW1 is in the recommended (- + + -) (1-2-3-4, correspondingly) position, the lock light is always ON, even when no source is connected (and by that I mean nothing is connected to the receiver inputs at all). When I put it in the (- + + +) position, the light goes OFF and stays OFF.

When I connect a source (the TOSLINK module set to the consumer level and connected to a computer that sends a test signal) to Input 1, I see a decently shaped 0.4V signal on the CIN4 capacitor, but there is nothing at the outputs, and the LOCK light stays OFF (if SW1 is (-+++)) or ON (if SW1 is (-++-).

Both boards are powered by LCDPS (5.25V). Both input selection pins are connected to the ground. Nothing is connected to the outputs or inputs 2-4. EDIT: shorting the unused inputs 2-4 does not change anything.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by user Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:28:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

akras  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 2:02:33 AM(UTC)
akras

United States

I had another look at the board and schematic.

I don't see any obvious board defects, except for misaligned SW1 (which still works normally).

It looks like pin 14 of the chip is just always floating and the LED responds to the voltage applied to the base of Q1 through RA2.4(47K)+R15(10K): my voltmeter shows:
2.15V with SW1(4) at (-);
3.15V with SW1(4) at (+);
2.65V with SW1(4) floating (the LED starts glowing b/o weak current to the ground through the voltmeter).

This behavior does not change whether the unit is powered up with SW1(4) at (+), (-), or floating.

Voltage at pins 6,21,23 is as expected; voltages at SW1 are as expected. Everything is measured with outputs and input 1 disconnected; inputs 2-4 shorted.

Edited by user Sunday, February 5, 2017 2:06:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

akras  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:25:32 AM(UTC)
akras

United States

OK, I think I know what is going on... Please correct me if I'm wrong, because something like this should not be happening with a tested assembled board...

I noticed that the "RESET (inverted)" pin of CS8416 is actually pulled to the ground even when the board is powered by a 5.25V source. This is the "RESET" state of the chip...

Then I looked at the voltage supervisor. The schematic calls for part # TPS3809K33DBVT (IC 2.93V supply monitor, which makes perfect sense since it responds to VDD, which is 3.3V). Per datasheet, this chip is supposed to have a "PDBI" marking on it. What I see on my board is "PDCI" marking. "PDCI" means part # TPS3809I50DBVT. This one requires 4.55V to flip to 1. There is never 4.55V on that voltage monitor (remember, it's connected to VDD), so CS8416 is always in the "RESET" state (which explains floating pin 14; all other pins that sense voltage on power-up through 47K resistors are probably floating, too).

Here is the datasheet link, you want page 2: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps3809.pdf .

So long story short, my board has a wrong part installed on it...

Here is a funny part. This is my second board. I got my first board a few weeks ago, but I have managed to spill hot coffee on it before I had a chance to test it. I cleaned it, but it never worked, so I quietly ordered another one. Which also didn't work, but for reasons that have nothing to do with spills. And yes, the first board also has that wrong voltage monitor...

So, please, tell me where I'm wrong and restore my faith in humanity...

Edited by user Sunday, February 5, 2017 5:56:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked akras for this useful post.
ivigueras on 2/5/2017(UTC)
ivigueras  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:59:02 PM(UTC)
ivigueras

Spain

There are a PDCI in my boards also.

Brian, is this the answer of the mystery?. Four boards with the same fault. It looks like a bad batch. Really the boards are tested?
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 8:52:57 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Ok. I finally had some time for investigation today.

Long story short: yes, this is exactly the problem. I will be repairing the boards ASAP, and refunding the cost of the kits.

Long story long: I recently ordered some new parts and got the wrong reset chips. A total of eight of the new chips have been used, so this led me to wonder how they passed testing. For this, I have found out exactly what happened.

For reasons I will not go into here (family related), the last batch of ten or so boards were in fact, not tested, so the incorrect parts were not detected.

So, sorry for the mixup.

I will be reaching out to the other folks who have one of these boards and getting them straightened out as well.

Edited by user Monday, February 6, 2017 1:50:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Removing some detail

ivigueras  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 11:38:05 AM(UTC)
ivigueras

Spain

Hi Brian.

Please, could you explain what do you mean when say "I will be repairing the boards ASAP"?. Should we send the wrong boards for repair?. Should we buy the new boards after refunding?.

Thanks!
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 3:22:55 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I will contact you via PM on how to proceed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed