Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdmckellar  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:53:53 PM(UTC)
tdmckellar

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This will be my first build, I have been looking at the following components for my build and would like some advice whether this is everything I should need or if there is something missing.

1. Do I have enough power supplies for the build?
2. I am not sure if the single Placid HD will be enough to power the DAC, USB module, OTTO-II and Raspberry Pi/Kali?
3. Also if I am wanting an optical and coaxial input to S/PDIF, can these be wired direct to the DAC or will I also need the S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver?

Buffalo-III DAC
Placid HD
9V+9V Transformer
IVY-III Linestage
Placid HD BP
15V+15V Transformer
Ventus EZ

Amanero USB Module
Optical Input Module (TTL if possible from elsewhere) - any recommendations?
Coaxial Input
Raspberry Pi + Kali (from a previous project)
OTTO-II (to switch between RPi and USB inputs)

HiFiDuino Volume Control and Display or DimDim TFT Display using Arduino

Thank you

Edited by user Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:54:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:08:22 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
1. No
2. It does not. You need quite a bit of current for the Pi.
3. Don't think so, but I'm not sure how you want to hook up the Pi, Amanero and all of the other inputs.
tdmckellar  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:12:59 PM(UTC)
tdmckellar

United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply. What other power supply would I need? Would it be another Placid HD fed off the one 9v+9v transformer or a Low Current Dual Supply? I assume then I would use a single Placid HD for the DAC alone and the additional PSB to the digital input modules.

I was planning on using the OTTO-II to switch between the USB input and the RPi input for I2S input into the Buffalo DAC. I think I read the Buffalo III DAC can take up to four S/PDIF inputs if the are TTL direct to the board without the need for a separate receiver, is this correct? I don't think I will need many digital different S/PDIF type inputs (COAX, Optical or aes/ebu) but if they can be integrated without an additional component it would future proof the design.
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:06:11 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

It would depend on the Pi version. I think the old versions used a 1.2A PSU, but the new ones are way higher, 2A for the 2 and 2.5A for the Pi 3. You can't source that from a HD or LCDPS. I would look at something like a LS25-5.

Make it easy for yourself: add a Sidecar to the list. You'll want to switch between the I2S sources and the SPDIF ones, and that's exactly what it's for.
thanks 1 user thanked LeonvB for this useful post.
tdmckellar on 2/5/2017(UTC)
tdmckellar  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:41:09 PM(UTC)
tdmckellar

United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply thats a big help. I have a Pi 3 which will be fed from a Kali Reclocker, which needs 3A. I will look at the LS25-5 which you recommended. Also, I have seen some linear adjustable power supplies on Ebay like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...bda2d:g:7EIAAOSwWnFV~4pS

Would that also be suitable? There are a number which are similar, including dual supplies such as:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...%3D6%26sd%3D141732364045
tdmckellar  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:44:44 PM(UTC)
tdmckellar

United Kingdom

Also, you mentioned about the sidecar which I will certainly add to the list. To clarify that doesnt require the 4-Channel S/PDIF board also does it? I assume as long as I use TTL level Optical and COAX inputs these can be wired directly to the sidecar?

I wasn't sure if the sidecar was required or not as I had read that all inputs can be controlled using the TFT HiFiDuino code, is this correct?
LeonvB  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 9:51:02 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

There is nothing I can say about those PSUs, as I don't really know them and haven't tried them.

The sidecar needs TTL inputs, as they go directly to the DAC (depending on the switching).
TTL coax is very rare. Are you sure you don't need level conversion?
You still need to hook up both signals, and connecting both of them at the same time will be a problem.
tdmckellar  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 10:24:51 PM(UTC)
tdmckellar

United Kingdom

Thank you for your help. I have not yet sourced the optical and coaxial inputs, just getting my head around what I need to get. Unfortunately since the twisted pear optical input us currently out of stock I will have to look elsewhere. I am trying to figure out what digital inputs I may need and weighing that against the extra cost of the addition components which will be required.
tdmckellar  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 8:04:38 AM(UTC)
tdmckellar

United Kingdom

Regarding the Placid HD power supply, would a single unit be okay to power both the Buffalo III DAC, OTTO-II and Toslink Module or would I need an additional Placid HD?

Also, regarding the Toslink Module (I saw it is in stock, my mistake) I read on the integration guide:

'when the only required inputs for your Buffalo IIISE are TOSLINK and Coax, build the TOSLINK
module with TTL level output. Connect the Coax signal to the S/PDIF/GND pins, and the TOSLINK
module to the D1/GND pins.'

Does this also apply for the Buffalo III DAC (when using the Sidecar), not just the SE version?
tdmckellar  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 8:05:18 AM(UTC)
tdmckellar

United Kingdom

Regarding the Placid HD power supply, would a single unit be okay to power both the Buffalo III DAC, OTTO-II and Toslink Module or would I need an additional Placid HD?

Also, regarding the Toslink Module (I saw it is in stock, my mistake) I read on the integration guide:

'when the only required inputs for your Buffalo IIISE are TOSLINK and Coax, build the TOSLINK
module with TTL level output. Connect the Coax signal to the S/PDIF/GND pins, and the TOSLINK
module to the D1/GND pins.'

Does this also apply for the Buffalo III DAC (when using the Sidecar), not just the SE version?
LeonvB  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 7:11:50 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Yes it is ok and no, you don't need 2. ;)

The B3SE has a level converter on-board. There isn't one at the B3. Just in case you missed this at page 4: "If the text only mentions the Buffalo III board or the Buffalo IIISE board, that part only applies to that particular version of the DAC board."
Rss Feed  Atom Feed