Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
tcpip  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2016 10:18:10 AM(UTC)
tcpip

Groups: Member
India

Can you please explain the difference?

It's obvious that the circuits are quite different. But for just selecting an input and receiving the signal, to feed into a DAC, what are the differences between the two? I found another thread which had asked the same question but had received no answers.
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:06:25 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The 4:1 Mux/Demux is a simple 4-channel switch. Think of it as a digital 4-position rotary switch. It does not alter the digital signals passed through it at all. It can be wired to either send a single input to one of four outputs, or to select one of four inputs to a single output.

Typical use case is selecting one of four S/PDIF inputs to be fed into a single S/PDIF receiver, such as a Buffalo-IIIse. You could also use four in parallel to provide four I2S inputs for a DAC with I2S inputs (all of our DACs). It is a versatile board.

The S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver, on the other hand, is an S/PDIF receiver that accepts up to four S/PDIF inputs, and outputs decoded I2S of the selected input. One of the inputs can be configured as S/PDIF or AES/EBU. It can also, optionally, output the selected S/PDIF input as a passthrough.

It is typically used with I2S-only DACs, like the Opus and COD, to provide multiple S/PDIF inputs. (You could also use the 4:1 MUX/DEMUX board with the WM8804 Receiver.)

I hope this answers your question.
thanks 1 user thanked Brian Donegan for this useful post.
tcpip on 10/6/2016(UTC)
tcpip  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:28:37 AM(UTC)
tcpip

India

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
The 4:1 Mux/Demux is a simple 4-channel switch. Think of it as a digital 4-position rotary switch. It does not alter the digital signals passed through it at all. It can be wired to either send a single input to one of four outputs, or to select one of four inputs to a single output.

This is very clear, thanks.

I guess this means that the 4:1 Mux/Demux switch does not have active components in the signal path? Just trying to verify whether I've understood you right. I don't see how it can be bi-directional if there are gates etc in the signal path...
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:16:53 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It has a semi active component :) The mux is basically an electronic switch. It is not manipulating the signal - but does switch it. It is indeed bidirectional. It works like any FET switch.
thanks 1 user thanked Russ White for this useful post.
tcpip on 10/19/2016(UTC)
tcpip  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:54:45 AM(UTC)
tcpip

India

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
It has a semi active component :) The mux is basically an electronic switch. It is not manipulating the signal - but does switch it. It is indeed bidirectional. It works like any FET switch.

Understood. Silly of me to have forgotten FET switches. Thanks a lot.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed