Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
cdeveza  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 7:44:53 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

Groups: Member
United States

I have a dual mono BIIIse setup with on board controller and everything is sounding just fine. I have a manual switch for playing PCM and DSD files via Otto II, now before I start spending time searching how to do it, I would like to at least know if it can be done. If I am to use an external controller, like the Hifiduino one, is it possible to do the switching internally? I was thinking, remapping? not that I know how to do it yet, but would like to know if it even can be done. I know the software can sense the signal, pcm or dsd, but I am not sure if the software is doing any remapping. Any information would be much appreciated.

Alex
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 6:58:16 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The remapping is the same for DSD/PCM. The trick is you would have the do the switch before the DAC can tell you what the format is. :) So you really need your source to tell you and thus switch the OTTO.
cdeveza  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:28:02 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

Ok, thanks Russ. Since I dont know of any means to sense whats coming, I guess, I have to do it manually. I do have one question, correct me if I am wrong. I have an Amanero-Hermes-Cronus setup, fantastic, by the way, extremely clean sound, anyway, so that means this goes to the OTTO 2 to do the switching between PCM/DSD, right? now, I am in the process of building the BBB-Hermes-Cronus setup. So what I did is that the output of the Amanero setup and the output of the BBB setup goes into an Otto 2 switcher, then it goes into another Otto 2 switches to select between PCM and DSD, is this setup correct?

Actually the BBB setup, I am building externally, I dont have anymore place inside my chassis, so I am using a transporter to do it.

Another question, on the BBB-Hermes-Cronus setup. On the Hermes, I am not quite sure how to connect the power to it. On its side, there are two connections, one says gnd/vd 5v (I think), and immediately on the connector side, there is a + (plus) and - (minos) sign. Where do I connect the power and what is the other one for. I think its for the battery, but not sure.

Also, it looks like I will need power to the BBB-Hermes, and Cronus-transporter, which of these two connections requires cleaner power? The reason I am asking is that I have one Placid HD and one cheap linear regulator. The two output of the transformer connects to each one of these, and I am connecting the Placid HD to Cronos and Teleporter and the linear PS to Hermes-BBB. Is this ok or shall I switch them around?

Alex
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:35:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
1) Yes it sounds like you have your OTTO combination correct.

2) For the Hermes-BB keep in mind the 5V terminal would power the Hermes and the BBB - it is tied to the BBB 5V supply. So if you are powering the BBB already via the normal barrel connector you don't need any other supply. Basically you have the option to use the BBB barrel connector or the terminal block. The other connector is for a battery and you guessed - that is optional - but using a battery helps prevent some nastiness that can occur with the BBB (see the thread on DIY-Audio). So really you just need one 5V supply (beefy - like 2A) plus the supply for your Cronus.
cdeveza  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 7:48:51 PM(UTC)
cdeveza

United States

Ok thank russ for the quick response. I got my BBB-Hermes-Cronus on a small chassis, and I have this linear regulator laying around, so I might as well use it and I got the Placid HD powering up the Cronus and Transporter and it looks clean anyway. I do have a Battery, the one you suggested. I will go ahead and connect it to the + and -. I think I read somewhere that it charges the battery as well. Is there anything else I need to know before I power it up. It seems simple enough, its the software that I will probably be struggling with.

Thanks again russ,

Alex
Rss Feed  Atom Feed