Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
shadowfax  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 9:18:58 PM(UTC)
shadowfax

Groups: Member
Puerto Rico

After almost 2 weeks of hard work, including screwing up the SW relay in the IVY board and having to wait for a new one and a missing QN transistor -thanks Brian- finished it today and connected it in my system, and it worked! Has been for at least 2 hours and I am really enjoying it. So far, very musical, lots of inner details and a very impressive bass response.

I made 2 goofs, so here they are so anyone up to building the kit doesn't repeat them. Take care installing the mentioned relay. I did not look close enough to the IVY pictures and installed it wrong. There should be an explicit instruction on this for us inexperienced solid state diy enthusists - I am a tube diy guy- Had to obliterate it so to make it easy to unsolder the pins; a pain in the ass nevertheless with those super small holes. 'Was afraid I had screwed up the board in the process. And the second goof was that I installed the IVY connection pins on the wrong side - Still can't figure out how I did that- so after the relay desoldering experience I did not want to repeat that. And this is why the dac board ended up below the Ivy board.

I'll probably get a new set of female a male pins and solder them in the right sides without removing the installed ones.
Voltage rails for the IVY at +/-15v, 5 .25v for the dac board. The heatsinks are hot but not enough that one has to remove the hands right away. A very enriching experience. The virtue of patience is required. I had a photo to put here but was not able to do so though it was a jpg image.....according to the forum parameters, I'll figure later on how to make it in another format.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed