Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
needsp  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2016 1:09:25 PM(UTC)
needsp

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Hi

I assembled my Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo with 45.1584/49.152MHz clocks at the weekend, and it all worked fine! I’m feeding it from an Auralic Aries streamer, and into a Buffalo II. The Amanero is powered by an iFi 5V supply (very low noise)

Some time ago, as a supposedly temporary measure, I installed a RJ45 socket and a four way double pole toggle switch in my Buffalo. The RJ45 receives a DSD signal tapped from a Denon disc player. It’s wired to three of the poles of the switch; The fourth pole across the (now removed) SPDIF selector switch on the Buffalo. When the switch is operated, the SPDIF switch opens and the three DSD signals are connected to the DAC- I2s to SPDIF input switching. SPDIF and I2S grounds are both hard wired to Buffalo ground. The arrangement worked well with the disc player, even without Teleporters, letting me listen to SACDs, with only a slight transient “bang” when switching from I2S to SPDIF. With the Amanero Combo this is much worse!

How can I fix this? What’s the best way of introducing (for the moment) manual input switching of this sort to a Buffalo II? I have MUX II, and have ordered a Sidecar. The above arrangement- Cronus is linked to Buffalo by a ~100 mm Cat5 cable, hard wired to Cronus- works well up to 196kHz/ 24 bit PCM, but poorly with 356 kHz/24 bit, and not at all even with DSD64. Another reason to sort this properly.

BTW, the DAC and nothing connected to it is grounded to mains earth, though Buffalos case is. I use the balanced output from my I to V conversion stage

Thanks

Paul N
needsp  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:50:55 AM(UTC)
needsp

United Kingdom

Hi

OK, I’ve ploughed through some old threads, and it seems my switch arrangement is as good a way of doing this as any.

The switching noise seems to have lessened with time. I’m not keen to investigate systematically, as I’m not sure it won’t cause damage. But, with music playing, it was pretty quiet, and, thereafter, completely gone. I’m going to order a Buffalo III SE at some stage- though it seems they’re no longer available to even pre-order- correct?

The behaviour at 354 kHz may well, I now understand, be down to my 80 MHz clock, or voltage sag in an on board shunt reg- I presume Vdd? I’ll check for the latter.

The failure of DSD64 or 128 is a bit more worrying. It may be the wiring, but, as I said, DSD from a modded SACD player works well, and over a 50 cm Cat5 cable. With Amanero Combo, Teleporters would only shorten the path by 100 mm max.

Thanks

Paul N
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:28:35 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
80MHz XO will limit the bandwidth capabilities.

The Buffalo-IIISE will be available for pre-order again in the next week or so.

A better way to switch between S/PDIF and I2S with the B-II is to use an external S/PDIF level shifter and supply D1 with TTL-level S/PDIF. You can then use an OTTO-II or similar to switch between S/PDIF and I2S, leaving the dip switch in the Off setting.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:29:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:20:15 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I have done this with my b2 using an optical module (that outputs ttl level sp-dif) and an otto 2.

Switching between I2s data on one side and the optical module on the other. I would think that you could use:

"Single S/PDIF Level Converter Kit
Converts one consumer-level S/PDIF or AES-EBU input to TTL-level S/PDIF
Easily powered from Buffalo-III' VD supply"

for this, but I am a bit confused as to why Brian did not suggest it Think
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:15:40 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

That's what I was referring to when I said "an external S/PDIF level shifter."
needsp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2016 12:35:16 PM(UTC)
needsp

United Kingdom

Hi Brian, gwikse

Thanks for your replies. I need to decide whether to get a S/PDIF level switcher, and possibly a 100 MHz clock- or- more likely- a Buffalo III to replace the II, as it offers other advantages. Still concerned about my inability to cleanly play DSD files though. And is just the Vdd reg I need to check for adequate current headroom with higher res files?

Thanks again

Paul N
sleep  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 9:36:49 AM(UTC)
sleep

United States

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post

A better way to switch between S/PDIF and I2S with the B-II is to use an external S/PDIF level shifter and supply D1 with TTL-level S/PDIF. You can then use an OTTO-II or similar to switch between S/PDIF and I2S, leaving the dip switch in the Off setting.

Hi Brain,
Just want to make sure my understanding is right. You said "leaving the dip switch in the off setting"? while the manually all says: "Make sure the SPDIF switch is open" for all TTL level signals.

Thanks,
Roland
sleep  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 4:28:50 AM(UTC)
sleep

United States

Originally Posted by: sleep Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post

Hi Brain,
Just want to make sure my understanding is right. You said "leaving the dip switch in the off setting"? while the manually all says: "Make sure the SPDIF switch is open" for all TTL level signals.

Thanks,
Roland

Just realize the "open" in manual actually means "OFF", while I take it as "open the light" which means switch on. :(

Russ White  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:20:39 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Open and Off for a switch in electronics mean the same thing. :)
Brian Donegan  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:39:23 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

"Open" refers to "Open Circuit"
Rss Feed  Atom Feed