Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
sparky  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 9:20:05 AM(UTC)
sparky

Groups: Member
United States

Hi,

I bought a Buffalo III from the classifieds on DIYAudio. It's unused (not even soldered) and seller thinks it might be old enough to have the old (volume bug / DIP switch flip) firmware.

How do I tell for sure?

Thanks,
Sparky
SCompRacer  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 2:50:33 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Congrats on the BIII!

I don't think there is a way to tell by just looking at the firmware chip.

Have you downloaded and read the excellent BIII Integration Guide? Link is located on the BIII product page. It covers everything you need to build your DAC.

Page 24 says after March 2013 all were shipped with the new firmware. One can also purchase a new firmware chip or if you have the capability to program it, download the hex file.
sparky  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 10:18:57 PM(UTC)
sparky

United States

Thanks! I've already looked on the TP website and can't find a link to option to purchase the new firmware chip. I don't have a programmer, so that's not an option for me I'm afraid.

Perhaps there's a difference in the default DIP switch positions between old PCB/firmware and new PCB/firmware? Mine has them all in the ON position.
SCompRacer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:59:23 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

You are most welcome sparky!

PM or email Brian Donegan about the firmware chip.

While it is shipped with all the dipswitches on, dipswitch settings depend on your configuration. Dipswitch settings were reversed with the newer firmware; what was on with the old firmware is off with the new. That too is covered in the Integration Guide. While it is quite a read, I always print the latest version and keep it for reference.

Twisted Pear offers two choices for I/V or output boards along with linear and shunting power supplies. That is also covered in the guide along with various input configurations.

Edited by user Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:02:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sparky  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2016 8:56:51 AM(UTC)
sparky

United States

I already tried emailing parts@ but got no response. I'll try the PM route, good idea.

Leon's manual is something I'm pretty familiar with - I've been tinkering with Buffalo DACs and whatnot since the v1. The beast I'm building is an active crossover and preamp based on a MiniSHARC DSP with 4 Buffalos and 4 Ivys (3x Buf3 and 3x Ivy3; 1x Buf1 and 1x Ivy2)... hence buying used parts where I can!

I guess I could hook the Buffalo up to an Arduino to read the Buffalos state before and after toggling DIP switches. Perhaps there's a combination of readings/switch positions that confirms the firmware version for sure. That would need research and writing some code, which kinda seems like a lot of effort. I was hoping for an easier way ;)

Perhaps chucking a few bucks at acquiring a new chip is the simplest way to have peace of mind.
SCompRacer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2016 4:36:43 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Originally Posted by: sparky Go to Quoted Post

Leon's manual is something I'm pretty familiar with - I've been tinkering with Buffalo DACs and whatnot since the v1.

Ambitious project! You don't need any help at all then...lol

If you were still looking for parts, I ran across this ad at Computer Audiophile. Kind of recent, Jan 2016, some stuff left.

http://www.computeraudio...rades-and-options-27309/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed