Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
SCompRacer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:06:49 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I installed a Hermes/Cronus on an Amanero USB to I2S in a friends single BIII DAC. Amanero has Slave to 1080 flash and config settings to TP suggestions. CE Designs Shield and CE Designs HiFiDuino code, just like on my DAC. I had it here for a week and it played SPDIF and USB to I2S beautifully. Hi Res and DSD played fine too. I had disconnected it and reconnected it, had SPDIF and USB connected at same time, no issues. Cronus powered at 5V.

I ship it to him, and he says the right channel plays static with USB input, the left channel is fine. SPDIF plays fine both channels. He is using a Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE with Squeezelite for USB output to DAC. I was using a Signature Series Sonore USB output, Squeezelite, Vortexbox 2.4. We are using SE output on the DAC.

When it was here I checked for DC on the outputs and there was only .003, which I adjusted the Legato to zero v DC.

I've had him check connections to Sidecar and they are good. I've asked for him to try in different outlets, check polarity of outlets, etc. Anything else I might be missing before I ask for it to be sent back?

Thanks,

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cronus with clocks, divider set to 1:2. Connections via three U.fl cables. No other grounds connected.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:14:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gwikse  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:55:26 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Have you tried checking his computer settings through teamviewer to verify everything is set correctly on the computer side?

Perhaps there is something different in the driver settings?

I had "static" on my DAC 2 times; one was not limited to i2s (cracling from the legato due to resistors being too close to PCB), the other was because of too little shunt and too long i2s lines.
thanks 1 user thanked gwikse for this useful post.
SCompRacer on 3/9/2016(UTC)
SCompRacer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:46:46 AM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Thanks for the reply. I have sent him some testing documentation so he can do some volt testing just to be sure the trip didn't mess something up. He is head engineer for procurement of parts for nuke plants, so he should be able to test without messing up..I hope...lol

The DAC has been in service for a couple years, although more with SPDIF input than using the stock Amanero USB input. Jesus of Sonore is going to teamview the Orbiter SE to see if anything is out of the ordinary. I've read folks use the Orbiter SE with Lampizator DAC's which use an Amanero USB module. The Orbiter SE uses Linux with a stripped down Vortexbox type op system.

I'm just kind of shocked and bummed, it worked perfectly here. It was well packed, I made a nice double box shipping container for it. I may have him bump up the voltage on the Cronus, like 5.5 or 6 to see what happens. IIRC 5-7v is the range.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:47:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:48:19 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Very odd that there would be static only on one side - that sounds like it could be on the analog side of things. Have him check the legato.
gwikse  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:15:04 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I take it that he has swapped the cables around at the output to confirm that it is a problem with the DAC and not somewhere else in the signal chain?

If he put the cables for the left amp on the right output and the right amp on the left output the problem should shift to the other speaker if it is related to the DAC.

But yes, most likely as Russ said, something on the analog side. But it does not hurt to check the computer remotely ;)
gwikse  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:07:00 PM(UTC)
gwikse

Following the wires I can see one other possible thing.

Since the sp-dif signal is ok, it stands to reason to see what is different when using i2s and how that relates to the wiring loom.

When the controller is set to sp-dif the signal on the brown - brown/white cat5 wires going alongside the analog out-signal wires are 0v-0v hence nothing that can interfere. When the signal is set to i2s, the brown-brown/white wires will carry 5V-0V and can interfere?
SCompRacer  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:28:14 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Thanks Russ and gwikse, I'll add that to the list of things for him to try.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed