Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
biggsd  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:37:03 AM(UTC)
biggsd

Groups: Member
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi there

Really need some help here, as this issue has occurred twice now.

So at an event today and running the signal chain

Pioneer DJM Mixer SPDIF OUT -> RCA Cable -> Buffalo Dac -> Soundsystem

So, running an event for around 7 hours no problems then SUDDENLY a massively loud continuous white noise comes out of the main sound system - like such a massive level that its a lot louder than the music playing. its like a completely out of sync signal, but it loud and pretty terrible.

Big incident had to run and bypass the DAC. Got the dac home now and fired up works perfectly.

So the question is, WHAT could have caused the Massive white noise

1. The Mixer output - is it dodgy?
2. The Dac itself?

After the incident i noted that the mixer could no longer get lock on to the DAC.

What I am most interested in is WHAT could cause massive white noise from the outputs of the DAC?

Thanks any help would be appreciate as i can't really risk using it again until this is solved.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:45:00 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I have never seen this occur - the only thing I can think of was that a large transient or DC on the digital input may have caused funkyness in the DAC. One thing I can suggest is to try galvanic isolation of your SPDIF with a transformer.
biggsd  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:18:56 AM(UTC)
biggsd

New Zealand

ok, can you suggest the part that might work from digikey or rs, and maybe where it needs to be connected? Is it inline with the SPDIF connection?
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:43:04 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Newava S22083 or equivalent with something like a .1uf to .22uf (value not all that critical) DC blocking cap on one end of the input side. The output side going to directly the SPDIF input on the DAC.

Cheers!
Russ
biggsd  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2016 10:43:53 AM(UTC)
biggsd

New Zealand

Hi Russ and everyone

So I upgraded the cables and changed the SPDIF connector to a 75 ohm BNC from RCA.

Bought S22083s and put them on to the SPDIF inputs on the DACs. Now, it seems to have done something ever so minute to the sound.. kinda lost the zing on the HF, i guess a kind of rawness that made the thing really shine. Each to their own re sound quality but i feel like the isolating transformers smoothed the sound out a but, and tbh I liked it the old raw grunty way, especially for this big festival sounds where the best part about the DAC has been the tops.

So, i have now removed them and gone back to the old sound with albeit upgraded cables..

I really don't know how transformers can change the sound but feels like they had.... its digital isn't it?

Anyway thats my feedback - has anyone else experienced a change in sound from the Neweva S22083s? Is this part of the reason they are left off the standard buffalo build?

Keen for feedback - thanks!

-Dave
Rss Feed  Atom Feed