Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
defterGoose  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 3:23:27 AM(UTC)
defterGoose

Groups: Member

Hello all,

So I've had a rather disconcerting night. I finally got my IVY-III and Buffalo+accoutrements assembled and was so excited to finally power up for the first time! I double checked each board top and bottom for mistakes and then assembled like so:

SPDIF4--->SIDECAR--->BUFFALO--->IVY

Left the IVY unpowered as I haven't built my placids yet and got my bench DC supply set up for 5.25V to power the Buffalo. All hands on deck, annnnnnnnnnd it works! Mute led lit solid, Lock led off, 3 tridents showing two LEDs each, and the AVCC as well. Great. Leave it powered for a second while moment of self-pride is enjoyed. Power off and disconnect. (no pics, but it DID happen)

But wait, I forgot to add the input selector switch! Already built, just need to add the cable header, great. Solder the 4 connector pin to the "small box" area on the backside, make the cable and test for integrity. Done. Connect to switch header and to the corresponding pins on the Buffalo (4 pins on the inboard side of the i/o header closest to power terminal)

Power it on again to see if i get LEDs on the switchboard. Everything happened fast but i believe the following occurred:

1. switch leds all lit up but in a flickering kind of way
2. while examining switch module, i see a telltale puff of smoke in my peripheral vision and a popping sound, knew something had blown.
3. immediately switched off power and disconnected the switch module

After cursing for awhile and doing a cursory google/forum search, I mustered up the courage to power it up again without the switch module attached to see if i was well and truly f*cked.

Well, now I've got at least 3 burnt out LEDs (including MUTE apparently), who knows what other fried comps., and I'm too scared to hook anything else up to it without getting some idea of what happened first. I can only guess that I shorted out the power supply from the DAC to the switch board and ruined at least a couple of the supplies or something? I don't know if the DAC itself is fried and im scared to hook something up to see if i can get a lock; also the disappearance of the mute led is troubling.

I should note a few things. At this point I hadn't made any adjustments to the DIP switches, they are all as set by the factory (hadn't changed for sidecar, etc.) . I also hadnt attached the volume control pot and the PB4 was not jumpered. I also used my own LEDs for lock/mute. I believe I followed all the setup instructions for the B-III to the letter.

I've attached photos of the items in question, along with the regulator readings im getting. Any help would be appreciated, it would be great if I could just replace a couple SMD LEDs, or even a Trident or two rather than the whole friggin' thing.

wiring-small.jpg (245kb) downloaded 34 time(s). switch-small.jpg (236kb) downloaded 30 time(s). voltages-small.jpg (280kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
avr300  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:09:51 AM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Hi Goose..

The lab supply could it have been delivering higher voltage upon startup? The reason I bring this up is your defective AVCC. You're using a AVCC version 1.0 which had absolut max input voltage of 5.5V

Since you had smoke you might be able to identify the burned component(s).
defterGoose  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 8:00:44 PM(UTC)
defterGoose

Well, I definitely burned out D1 on both AVCC and the 1.2V Trident, and probably my yellow mute LED.

I'm 99.999% sure that I didn't overvolt the input, since I powered up successfully for at least several seconds the first time. Also, my supply is a digital one with a readout and an aux on/off switch so you can read the voltage out before turning on the output. I had it set at 5.23V cuz I couldn't nudge it to 5.25.

Since the adding of the switch module caused the burnout, my thought is the only failure mode would be that I shorted VDD to ground thru the selector by reversing the cable on one end. I have since tested the switch board standalone and it seems to be working fine.

Now, assuming that I put VDD on ground how screwed am I probably? Is it likely that I've burnt the Sabre, or would the power supplies have protected it by burning out first somehow? $120 for new regs would be an easier pill to swallow, but I'm worried that if they got damaged the regulator internal to the dac board is probably shot too?
defterGoose  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:13:46 PM(UTC)
defterGoose

Edit: I realized i was undervolting AVCC with 3.3V, and bumped up the supply to 5.25V. D2 Is actually OK still, D1 burnt out.

Ok, small update.

I wanted to measure the output from the AVCC module by itself, so I set my PS up for 3.30V output. Applied voltage to first set up pins (can't recall which side), module turned on, with D2 lit green, D1 still dead. Measured output at both AVCC pins. Both outputs read about .7V as measured before while still mounted. OK, let's hook up the other side and see what's up yes? Ok, hook up the leads (IN/GND), turn PSU output ON for 3.3V. And D2 goes red/orange colored and gets smoked, WTH?

Now, this is an AVCC v1.0 module from several years ago when i ordered the DAC. I also have v3.0 tridents.

My PSU is a modern EXTECH switching supply, and I know it is built with protection circuitry etc. Is it possible that in the process of turning the output on it is spiking rather hard? This would seems to be inconsistent at best, since sometimes im able to power up without issue.....

I'd like to power up the Buffalo with no regs attached to see if I get a proper VDD from the local reg, is this ok?

Edited by user Monday, January 11, 2016 1:45:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

defterGoose  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 2:13:17 AM(UTC)
defterGoose

Ok, I have disconnected all the supplies from the BIII and tested them in isolation with the supply Vd at 5.25V.

I'm getting:

Trident1: Vout=3.31V, both LEDs lit. Good.

Trident2: Vout=3.32V, both LEDs lit. Good.

Trident3: Vout=1.197, D1 dead, D2 good. Good?

AVCC (Vd=5.25V, DVCC=0V): AVCC1=0.7V, AVCC2=0.7V, D1 Dead, D2 good. Probably need to replace, but i tested without 3.3V present on DVCC, is this ok or does supply need DVCC to output properly?

Can someone with a more intimate knowledge of the buffalo board tell me what I should be checking next? I thought that there was a built-in supply for peripherals as well? Can/should I check this before I reinstall the regs?

I assume if AVCC is toast then that would account for the lack of MUTE light, right? Or is that portion of the chip fed from DVCC?
avr300  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:37:43 PM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: defterGoose Go to Quoted Post

I assume if AVCC is toast then that would account for the lack of MUTE light, right?

No. AVCC is reference voltage for the analogue part of the DAC chip.

Even without AVCC shunt the DAC will lock, but it will not produce any sound.
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:17:26 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Actually AVCC being out will cause all sorts of mischief - that looks to be the root of your problem.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed