Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
chinook9  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:16:12 PM(UTC)
chinook9

Groups: Member
United States

Last year I built a BIIISE to be used as a DAC and have been running it into a headphone amp. Recently, however, I have begun to connect my headphones directly to the RCA outputs of the DAC and I am really impressed with the sound. I would like to know if there are modifications I could do to improve the sound (possibly just power) even more.

I used the complete Twisted Pear "kit" including BIIISE (AVCC and Tridents), Placid HD and HD BP, and transformers. Also the volume control which I believe was included with the IvyIII. I have the RCA jacks connected to the SE outputs of the Ivy III. I connect the headphones directly to the RCA jacks.

The IvyIII User Manual indicates a couple of possibilities which I don't fully understand:

#1 - The IvyIII included R13-16 @ 180ohms for 2VRMS. The manual indicates these could be changed to 356ohms for 4VRMS output.

#2 - Under "Driving Headphones" the manual indicates "The SE outputs are not capable of as much power,...." Does this mean if I use the balanced outputs the power is increased significantly? If so, how much increase?

#3 - Also under "Driving Headphones" the manual indicates "It is recommended that if you wish to drive headphones you use jumpers for R25/R26 and/or R27-R30, which will allow for better damping factor."

Should I do all three of these modifications?

To simplify my job and provide flexibility, I would probably buy an additional IvyIII board and build it with these these modifications.

The headphones I would like to drive include AKG K812 (36 ohms), Audeze LCD-3 (110 ohms), and in the future possibly the Sennheiser HD800 (300 ohms).

Any recommendations will be considered and appreciated very much.

NOTE: When I wrote this I did not know of the existence of the Ventas. Please advise if this is a significantly better way to go and if/when Ventas may be in stock.

Edited by user Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:07:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:59:55 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
If you just want more power for headphones, add a VentusEZ connected to the balanced outputs.

That adds an LME49600 buffer to each channel, which is all the power (current) you will ever need.
chinook9  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:38:45 PM(UTC)
chinook9

Groups: Member
United States

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
If you just want more power for headphones, add a VentusEZ connected to the balanced outputs.

That adds an LME49600 buffer to each channel, which is all the power (current) you will ever need.

Thank you for the reply Brian.

The Ventus?Ventus EZ sound like a winners. I would prefer the Ventus, as opposed to the EZ. Do you have a date for those to be in stock? If its not pretty soon I will put in an order for the EZ.

Would I connect the Ventus to the Placid HD BP using the same connections I use for the IvyIII or is there a way I can connect it to the IvyIII?

Edited by user Monday, January 11, 2016 5:20:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed