Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
dariedel2  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 6:40:09 PM(UTC)
dariedel2

Groups: Member
United States

Hello,

I am using buffaloIII and IVYIII, and I intend to use IVY balanced output to directly connect (via XLR) to balanced amplifier.

From what I can tell, the shield (pin 1) should be also connected to chassis on both the input of the amplifier and the output of the Buffalo DAC chassis.

I have looked at many pictures of projects on this site, and it seems many are not connecting pin 1 to chassis. Can you help with clarifying which connection method is best and/or proper?

Thanks,
Doug Riedel
Jordo  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 7:27:09 PM(UTC)
Jordo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Dough,

This is always reason for discussion.

I have operated my stereo for a long period without Pin 1 connected to the chassis on the Pre-Amp side and not to the chassis of the amplifier. I had issues with static noise after the system was in operation for a longer time.
The develloper of the Amplifier told me it was not necessary to do so because the amplifier module itself was grounded.
So I was develloping a loop in the shielding of the amplifier.

Recently I changed this setup.
The amplifier module is still grounded to the chassis but Pin 1 is not connected to the chassis at the XLR plug.
For the amplifier module this was taken care off in it's own way but still Pin 1 is connected to the chassis.

So I made changes to the XLR conections of the Pre-Amp and connected Pin 1 to the chassis ground there.

So I would say YES, Pin 1 should be connected to chassis ground.

The power of a balanced cable is that you have a Signal Lead, a Signal refference Lead (the minus " - " ) and a seperate shielding. Coax cables for instance use their Shield also as Signal refference.
Plus balanced cables uses the advantage of common mode rejection but that's not of issue here.

Hope it helps.
Later I might post an article I have to look for about doing it the absolute right way Angel

The Absolute Best Right Way to do It

Jordo

Edited by user Friday, December 18, 2015 8:35:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 8:50:17 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I recommend not tying the signal ground to the chassis ground at the connector. The IVY's signal ground is tied to it's power ground. If you want to tie the power ground to the chassis, do it in a single location, ideally at the power supply.

Multiple connections to the chassis ground is a ground loop.
miksi  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 11:08:09 PM(UTC)
miksi

Some clarification would be nice as I intend to use IVYIII balanced outputs.
We have multiple power supplies in our chassis, many transformers, rectifier bridges, etc. Till now I used only SE output, my chassis is not connected to any power or signal ground( except earth ground) and every power supply has it's dedicated transformer winding. Except tiny, tiny buzz had no problems. Now I have some Neutrik chassis XLR connectors with 3 pins off course, and G pin which is actually metal body of connector and, in the middle of + and - sign on IVY III output - GND. Should I connect this GND to pin 1 of xlr, or maybe pin 1 to chassis? If I decide then to connect power gnd(s) to chassis from which power ground point should I do it, Ivy's, dac's...?
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 12:11:10 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Originally Posted by: miksi Go to Quoted Post
Some clarification would be nice as I intend to use IVYIII balanced outputs.
We have multiple power supplies in our chassis, many transformers, rectifier bridges, etc. Till now I used only SE output, my chassis is not connected to any power or signal ground( except earth ground) and every power supply has it's dedicated transformer winding. Except tiny, tiny buzz had no problems. Now I have some Neutrik chassis XLR connectors with 3 pins off course, and G pin which is actually metal body of connector and, in the middle of + and - sign on IVY III output - GND. Should I connect this GND to pin 1 of xlr, or maybe pin 1 to chassis? If I decide then to connect power gnd(s) to chassis from which power ground point should I do it, Ivy's, dac's...?

I would use XLR connectors with an isolated Pin 1 (GND).

I can not comment on your specific configuration without knowing a lot more about it. Generally, however, if you are going to connect low-voltage grounds to the chassis ground, you want to do it at the power supply(s) output, and connect them all to the same point on the chassis. Read up on "star ground."
Rss Feed  Atom Feed