Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cantskienuf  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:27:13 PM(UTC)
Cantskienuf

Groups: Member

I intend to use the Buffalo principally with my two-channel 16/44 transport which currently has a Toslink output available. I have the Toslink module mounted and was about to wire it up to the Buffalo SPDIF input when I saw an earlier post wherein a user was advised that he could wire the Toslink module to the D1 connection and open the SPDIF switch. That got me to thinking that as soon as I get it fired up on the low rez system, I'm surely going to want to connect it to a high rez source to see what it sounds like. I don't need on-the-fly switching, nor do I plan to have both sources active at once. Of course, I don't know anything about digital protocols either. I assume that I can't connect both a coaxial input and the Toslink module to the Buffalo SPDIF input. Is the D1 connection for the Toslink and the SPDIF connection for coaxial a solution, considering that the source will likely be changed no more than once or twice? Is there an advantage to using the SPDIF input with the Toslink over the D1? I hate to de-solder and the not-yet-available Mux seems overkill for my application. Advice?
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:41:53 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi,

I would definitely recommend using the TOSLINK Module direct to D1. That will work great. It will bypass the on-board comparator and you can use any TTL level SPDIF up to 192khz.

Yes you can do what you propose, but currently the on board comparator is limited to 48Khz input. So if you want 192/24 from COAX I would definitely suggest the MUX and running I2S into the buffalo. You will get superior performance and nice transformer isolation to boot which will help with dynamic range.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:00:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ryands  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:18:42 PM(UTC)
ryands

I'm confused. The description for the toslink module says it supports up to 96kHz. It seems you're saying it actually supports 192kHz. Which one is correct?
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:38:05 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The TOSLINK supports up to 96kHz. The MUX supports up to 24/196.

Edited by user Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:38:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ryands  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:52:45 PM(UTC)
ryands

ok, thanks.
Am I correct in thinking the MUX is the only way to use 192/24 content with the Buffalo?
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 6:17:53 AM(UTC)
Russ White

No its not the only way, but it is a very good way. :)

You can also use the WM8804 module as well.

Or connect up to 192khz SPDIF directly for Buffalo revsions >= 1.2 for Buffalo revision prior to that your best bet is either the MUX or the WM8804 receivers.

All Buffalo DACs support 192/24 via I2S. The WM8804 and MUX receivers convert SPDIF to I2S. Starting with version 1.2 192/24 direct SPDIF is also now supported.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Monday, November 10, 2008 6:19:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

colscot  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:19:22 PM(UTC)
colscot

Guys,

I'm currently using Buffalo/Ivy fed by LCDPS and LCBPS. I have one source, an SB3 using SPDIF via Coax. The SB3 is limited to 48khz, but is there any other way to connect the SB3 to the Buffalo/Ivy to give better performance ie bypassing the comparator ? Not sure about I2S from the SB3 and if that is possible.

Colin
Russ White  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:20:22 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi,

Sure there is a simple way to do what you want. You can use the TOSLINK output and use our TOSLINK receiver (TORX) module and go directly into D1. This bypasses the comparator (the SPDIF input switch should be open, but the SPDIF DIP switch should still be set). The output of the TORX module is already TTL so it does not need the comparator.

Cheers!
Russ
Rss Feed  Atom Feed