Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
simon  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 12:50:54 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Member

Hi,

Apologies if this has been done to death previously but I'd really appreciate some opinions on an output stage to go with my Buffalo II. I've tried searching but not turned much up, but that's probably my inability to search...

I like valves and have a breadboarded valve output stage that at times has sounded wonderful, but now sounds broken. I can't get back to where it sounds good again and don't have much time to play these days, so I think it might be time to get a TP output stage and spend what time I do have enjoying the music. The question is, IVY or Legato?

From the reading I've done it looks like there's little to choose between them and it comes down to personal preference. Comments about the Legato suggested that it has perhaps a more liquid sound where as the IVY is more detailed maybe. But these were earlier versions than currently available.

I build SE DHT valve amps so wonder if the Legato might be a better match? Any thoughts/jeers/heckles regarding this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon.
simon  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 12:05:30 PM(UTC)
simon

Nobody?

Okay, let's say I go with the Legato - I need either the Low Current Bipolar Supply or Placid BP. My instinct tells me the shunt reg Placid is the better PS, but the additional cost could buy an AVCC instead. I've read that the AVCC is the most important regulator on the Buffalo II board, but does it need the Tridents to make a real difference?

(I know I know, you're all thinking "just buy the Legato, Placid BP, 3 x Tridents and the AVCC and stop asking silly questions".)
AlexanderT  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 12:57:01 PM(UTC)
AlexanderT

Ukraine

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm using Legato 3.1 with Buffalo IIISE and Placids HD 2.1 and i enjoy it a lot. Never compared to IVY or other PSU so can't say what the difference will be, but during endless tweaks i noticed that Legato is sensitive to PSU. For example changing the capacitors on Placid was much more noticeable than changing stuff on Legato itself which had little effect. I also feel that best PSU is needed for the line stage - i had hard time hearing changes when trying to tweak placid which powered Buffalo itself...

Anyway - i can recommend Legato with Placid HD 2.1 which after just a few minor tweaks to my liking produced one of the most transparent, distortion free and dynamic sounds i ever heard which is also incredibly easy to listen to and not harsh :)

Edited by user Monday, July 13, 2015 1:00:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 10:08:38 PM(UTC)
simon

Thanks Alexander, that's good to hear. Interesting comments about the Legato's sensitivity to the Placid PS - I wonder if that suggests using three PS would be a good upgrade?
Tostaki  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 8:01:05 AM(UTC)
Tostaki

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

On my side I'm using 2 Sowter 9545 transformers as I/V output stage.
Quite simple & efficient with a great smooth sound
simon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:46:20 AM(UTC)
simon

Thanks, I hadn't thought of using transformers. How are you using them - resistors on primary and secondary?

A quick look round suggests people are quite happy using transformers, I guess you choose your compromises. I see Sowter and Lundahl do a range - more choices!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed