Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
dariedel2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:40:34 PM(UTC)
dariedel2

Groups: Member
United States

Hello,

I have seen many pictures in project gallery with soft start modules (at least that's what they look like). Do you recommend this? Is it necessary?

Also, do you have any recommendations AC Power entry module (amp rating, filtered/unfiltered, medical grade, fused/unfused)? What's recommended as base requirement vs. what's nice to have?

Thanks again,

Doug Riedel
LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:38:11 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
A soft start is only required when you are working with larger setups. Fi. a 2x1200W amp with transformers. With an SMPS PSU or small transformers it is not required to use a soft start: the peak current during power on will not be high enough to blow your fuse.

Regarding the AC power entry: the module should follow all applicable regulations. That should be your main concern: the build should be as safe as possible.
The amp rating should be high enough for your setup. Sorry, but I can't be more specific: I do not know what you are building.
Filtered or unfiltered is almost a personal preference. I look at it like this: if you don't have any noise on the powerlines it's fine to skip this. Powerline adapters are guaranteed to insert noise, so if you use these at home I'd recommend a filter.
Medical grade: the filtering on a medical grade power entry module is different. Most of the normal filters dump all noise to ground. I would advise against doing that. IMO it's not a good practice to dump all noise there and then use it as a reference for your PSU.
Using a fuse is in most countries mandatory. But if it isn't required, add it anyway. It doesn't need to be in the module itself, but I would recommend doing that. Use of a fast fuse is highly recommended.
An on/off button is recommended. And in the EU it's required.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed