Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
NuTron  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:42:14 PM(UTC)
NuTron

Groups: Member
Switzerland

I'm new to this forum, so hello everyone!

I was wondering if maybe someone could help me clarify a problem I’m facing with my 7.1 surround project. My idea is to get a 8ch I2S signal (4 Data Lanes) out of an Oppo BDP-103 and send it to a separate BIII DAC using a teleporter module. As off my understanding the BIII accepts I2S and DSD but I’m not sure if the signal format off the analog board from the BDP-103 is working. There is a solution from Audiopraise (Vanity) using 4 SPDIF and I emailed them about the pins and signal format. Unfortunately the only thing I found out was, that the signals are not I2S and instead a “variant of justified format”. Any ideas? Can the BIII handle this format? Thanks
LeonvB  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:56:29 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
If it's 4 separate SPDIFs: no. If it's I2S: yes.
NuTron  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 11:17:17 AM(UTC)
NuTron

Switzerland

Okay, the BIII has one Spdif input ... But does anyone know about the formating of the I2S input signals? (left, right, justified ...)

I've checked the DAC in the BDP-103 and it's a Cirrus Logic CS4382A. Still I'm not exactly sure which Pins to connect to the TPA Teleporter. As far as I understand, SDINx is PCM Data In and MCLCK and LRCLK are the Clocks. But I can't figure out, how it decodes 8 channels when there are only SDIN1 to SDIN3??
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 6:12:08 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Perhaps you should use SDIN4 also?
Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 7:47:09 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Each I2S data line carries two channels of data. The LRCK (Left/Right Clock) tells the DAC which word of data is for which channel.

So, four I2S lines = 8-channels of data.

NuTron  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:26:02 PM(UTC)
NuTron

Switzerland

Thanks alot for helping me out ... I had the manual downloaded for the 6-channel version of the Cirrus DAC and therefor could not find the sdin4 Pin d'oh! sorry for that.

Am I right, that taking:

GND (Ground)
MCLK (Master clock - optional)
LRCK (Word clock)
SDIN1 (Data)
SDIN2 (Data)
SDIN3 (Data)
SDIN4 (Data)
SCLK (Bit clock)

to the DAC will work? Given that I get get signal type right with the BIII Switches SW2:1, SW2:2 and SW2:3?

One more (stupid) question: Can the 4-Channel S/PDIF Level Converter Kit work vice-versa? Giving me the posibility to convert the I2S signal to AES?
LeonvB  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 5:36:50 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Originally Posted by: NuTron Go to Quoted Post

One more (stupid) question: Can the 4-Channel S/PDIF Level Converter Kit work vice-versa? Giving me the posibility to convert the I2S signal to AES?

No. You don't want AES, as it's not a supported format.
NuTron  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:43:46 AM(UTC)
NuTron

Switzerland

Alright, for a connection between the BDP-103 and the DAC there's no need for any signal conversion. So two Teleporter-Modules, one on each end will do the job and the Buffalo III DAC works with the BDP-103 PCM stream ... What would you recommend if I wanted to expand this configuration and put an additional component, say a room correction device, to it? More specific, how would you send the digital signal to a Lynx AES16e interface. Does it make sense to place a Teleporter-Module near the Lynx audio interface and feed in the I2S into it? And the same for digital audio out? What does this type of interconnetion between devices do to the signals, e.g. jitter, latency?

BDP-103 / TP-tx -----> TP-rx / Lynx AES16 / TP-tx -----> TP-rx BIII
LeonvB  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:31:16 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

I'm not a big fan of room correction. IME a neutral DAC with a neutral amp yields the best results, and if you have a problem with the room you can either change your speaker filter for it or change the room (fi. use damping).

In general, I2S is meant for in-between chip communication on a PCB. So the signal lines should be very short. If you wish to use it between 2 components the Teleporter is your best choice as a transport. You will need more than one set for 8 channels I2S.
NuTron  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 8:13:12 AM(UTC)
NuTron

Switzerland

I see, so the Teleporter has 4 audio-channels not 4 i2s streams. Getting 8 channels out of the BDP-103 is tricky! If possible, I would like to keep things down to one cable. I found this:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer

This USB "Soundcard" has 4 i2s streams IN or OUT ... but I'm not so sure about the sound quality. For example: Is no galvanic isolation an issue? XMOS is getting some praise for being a good USB interface chip. Am I dead wrong if I take above USB Streamer? I could go for a config like this:

BDP-103 / USBStreamer -----> PC / MAC -----> USBStreamer / BIII
LeonvB  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 6:01:09 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

The teleporter does not have audio channels. It simply has pins. I would recommend asking Russ or Brian if they've tried 8 channel I2S using 2 sets of teleporters and if yes, what is the preferred way of cabling them.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed