Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stewart  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:46:03 PM(UTC)
stewart

Groups: Member

I'm using an LCDS with R1 and R2 removed to power a Buffalo with tridents. As is, the heat sink on that side of the power supply gets pretty hot.

I'm interested in powering a wave io usb --> i2s module also. This requires 5v and about .5A. With the buffalo and this usb module connected is this too much for the LCDS?

Would installing the heat sinks that come on the placid hd supplies be enough to dissipate the heat or is the current draw simply more than this power supply was designed to handle?
avr300  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:48:42 PM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Look at the schematics of the LCDPS. It consists of two identical power supply's.

If you connect the DAC to the one side of the LCDPS and the additional WaveIO to the other side your should be ok.

Each side of the LCDPS (LM317) is able supply 1.5A - if you can cool it sufficient.
avr300  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:50:35 PM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Also, what voltage are you supplying at input at the LCDPS. Which tranny are using ?
stewart  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:58:09 AM(UTC)
stewart

I'm using the 9V transformer sold here. Thanks for the help. I imagine the bottleneck might be the stock heatsinks. I'm not sure how much current the Buffalo with tridents draws but that side gets pretty hot.

Originally Posted by: avr300 Go to Quoted Post
Also, what voltage are you supplying at input at the LCDPS. Which tranny are using ?

avr300  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:56:04 AM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

That's easy to measure with a DMM.
stewart  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 4:47:35 PM(UTC)
stewart

How do I measure current flowing through the LCDS with a DMM?

The Buffalo (with tridents) and WaveIO both will be drawing 5.5v @ about 450ma and 5v @ about 500ma (maybe a bit less) from the power supply. With the 9v transformer connected (the one twisted pear sells) is this going to be too much for the supply to handle?

I have removed R1 and R2 on the Buffalo side which has been powering it perfectly all along. When I connect the WaveIO to the other side (with R3 and R4) installed I can't get my computer to recognize the USB which leads me to believe there isn't enough current. When I switch sides and connect it to the side with R1 and R2 removed I get it to work. If I were to remove R3 and R4 and run that side to the WaveIO along with R1 and R2 removed powering the Buffalo is this too much for the supply to handle?

Edited by user Friday, September 27, 2013 5:14:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

avr300  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 5:35:49 PM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Well, you measure current like this:

http://www.electronics-radio.com/articles/test-methods/meters/how-to-measure-current.php

Remove R3 and R4, make the two sides identical, connect your boards as suggested earlier.

Try'n see if it running?

Keep an eye (or finger) on the heat sinks.
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 7:23:23 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
FYI: My Buffalo test rig on my desk, which I use for general listening when I am in the workshop, used a B-III with Tridents, powered by a LCDPS and a 9V transformer. The heatsink on the supply does get quite hot, too hot to touch for long. It has been running almost 24/7 for for more than a year though, without issues.

If I found time, I might switch to a larger heatsink, but it's far down my list of things to do :).

On a related note, I recently started shipping the 1.5" heatsinks (that I used to ship with the Placids, which now get 2.5" heatsinks) in place of the 1" heatsinks.

gwikse  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:26:34 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
FYI: My Buffalo test rig on my desk, which I use for general listening when I am in the workshop, used a B-III with Tridents, powered by a LCDPS and a 9V transformer. The heatsink on the supply does get quite hot, too hot to touch for long. It has been running almost 24/7 for for more than a year though, without issues.

If I found time, I might switch to a larger heatsink, but it's far down my list of things to do :).

On a related note, I recently started shipping the 1.5" heatsinks (that I used to ship with the Placids, which now get 2.5" heatsinks) in place of the 1" heatsinks.

I recieved a new LCDPS with larger heat sinks. Did not make to much of a difference to the heat. Swapped the heatsink to a heatsink that looks identical but with less cutout at the base, and voila, no longer as hot. Not sure of the part number etc as it was taken from an ebay kit. It is like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item337877a842

Larger heatsinks with the same cutout at the base will not adress the thermal runoff that occur. Less than complete contact to the heatsink side of the TO220 and it will run hot no matter how big the sink is.
thanks 1 user thanked gwikse for this useful post.
Mr. Davis on 9/29/2013(UTC)
stewart  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:16:48 PM(UTC)
stewart

What did you use to hold the TO220 to the heatsink? Thermal paste?
gwikse  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:31:29 AM(UTC)
gwikse

I used the standard parts from the kit. Exept for the heatsink itself. Screw, washer, thermal pad and nut from the kit. Heatsink from ebay kit.
Brian Donegan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 9:07:21 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post
I recieved a new LCDPS with larger heat sinks. Did not make to much of a difference to the heat. Swapped the heatsink to a heatsink that looks identical but with less cutout at the base, and voila, no longer as hot. Not sure of the part number etc as it was taken from an ebay kit. It is like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item337877a842

Larger heatsinks with the same cutout at the base will not adress the thermal runoff that occur. Less than complete contact to the heatsink side of the TO220 and it will run hot no matter how big the sink is.

I assume you are talking about device temp, not heatsink temp?
gwikse  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:23:14 AM(UTC)
gwikse

Originally Posted by: Brian Donegan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gwikse Go to Quoted Post

I assume you are talking about device temp, not heatsink temp?

Yes and no. With pcb mounted sinks they will both get very hot if there is less than complete contact. The part of the device that does not have it`s cooling surface in direct contact with the sink will run more hot than the rest of the device, and essentially heat up the rest so that you get thermal runoff when you load the device. The sink will also get hotter due to indirect added heat that have gone through the device (to the part of the device that has contact with the sink) instead of directly to the sink.

Edit: Digikey p.nr. HS346-ND seem better suited to your kits than the Wakefield 637 series imo.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:19:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:48:05 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

I swapped in the larger heatsinks. Temp dropped from 81C to 57C. At roughly 25C ambient, that's 56C to 32C above ambient. About 43% better cooling, but about 30% overall.

Edited by user Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:09:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed