Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
mnore  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:26:22 AM(UTC)
mnore

Groups: Member

Hi,

Moderator: If I placed this in the wrong subforum, please move as appropriate.

I have recently built a 6-channel amp based on UCD180HG and UCD400ST modules using Opus DACs, arduino controlled, with a nanoDigi from minidsp in the samme chassis. The chassis is very crammed, and I want to take some learnings from this project, improve the things I wasn't entirely happy with and build a new one in a larger chassis. Initially I want to go for 8 channel, but catering for an extra set of channels is the goal, so I just received a huge chassis from modushop. :)

What I aim for is in terms of VRMS at the speaker terminals:

A. Woofer channels: 40VRMS (2VMRS + 26db: Opus + unmodified UCD gives this).
B. Midrange/tweeter channels: 12.6VRMS (2VRMS + 13db: Opus + gain-adjusted UCD gives this)

If I were to bypass the differential input stage of the UCD modules, I would get 4,5x voltage gain. This means that the max voltage into the UCD stage would have to be:

A. Woofer channels: 40VRMS/4,5 = 8,8 VRMS
B. Midrange/tweeter channels: 2,8 VRMS

Question 1: What would give the best sound quality of the two options below:

1. Opus DAC + UCD HG+HXR (gain adjusted where necessary)
2. Buffolo DAC+IVY into UCD ST where I bypass the differential input buffer completely and go directly to the UCD.

Question 2: Can the IVY provide 8,8VRMS output to cater for the woofer channels?

Question 3: Can the IVY work with an input impedance of 10K (cold and hot), i.e. can it drive the UCD part without any additional buffer? Is it a sound proposal?

Question 4: If I go for alternative 1 above (Opus + high grade UCDs), there are two DC-offset caps in the path - one at the output from the Opus DAC, and one after the differential buffer stage of the UCD. Should I bypass any of those? In that case, which ones should be bypassed - Opus or Hypex?

Question 5: If I do want to go with an IVY-setup - is it silly to get Hypex's modules in the first place, since they have extra circuitry that I will bypass? Is there a simpler class D module that fits better with this configuration and provides as good sound quality?

Question 6: When is the multichannel IVY board coming? Will it be affordable? :)

Question 7: Any other ideas, inputs, things I should know? :)

Martin
Corpius  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 10:49:28 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mnore Go to Quoted Post
Question 5: If I do want to go with an IVY-setup - is it silly to get Hypex's modules in the first place, since they have extra circuitry that I will bypass? Is there a simpler class D module that fits better with this configuration?
Go for the hypex Ncores. They do not have input caps and are superior to their UCD modules. Unfortunately also much more expensive.

mnore  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 8:20:26 PM(UTC)
mnore

@Corpius

Thanks - but the Ncores are quite expensive, especially for an 8 channel amp.

Any inputs on the other questions?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed