Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
stebbo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:12:01 PM(UTC)
stebbo

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

After a recent decision to go 2-way active, I have ended up with a Buffalo III, a Buffalo IIIse and an un-built s/pdif 4 input board.
The multi-output soundcard I am getting (Lynx AES 16e) has multiple AES/EBU outputs and I plan to use 2 of these outputs for TTL inputs to my 2 Buffalo III's. I am currently feeding the Buff III with a stereo signal from a Toslink input module.

For the IIIse, the integration guide says about using 'a 1:1 transformer plus voltage divider or a 2:1 transformer plus a DC blocking cap at the primary'. Seeing as I have 4 1:1 transformers and various other components in the s/pdif 4 input kit, can I get a suitable TTL input for the IIIse and will this same format work for the III?

As far as I can follow on the s/pdif board, the input uses C5 in series with the primary of T1, then there is a voltage divider across the secondary with resistors RS1 and R1. Surely this forms a basis for a suitable signal - do I need any more components than this?

Finally, is it even possible that I could get away with just using a voltage divider, as the outputs of the soundcard are said to be transformer coupled, although I don't yet know if there is an earthed centre-tap?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:41:27 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I would try the simplest thing first. :) Just a voltage divider.
stebbo  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 7:59:29 AM(UTC)
stebbo

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Thanks Russ - I like simple solutions!

I'll have a play with other combinations as well, to make sure the voltage divider isn't causing any issues.

Also, I'd like to say thanks for your awesome products - I've never had so much fun with my hifi!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed