Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
dirkwright  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 5:07:26 PM(UTC)
dirkwright

Groups: Member
United States

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put small capacitors in place of the I/V resistors on the COD board if I don't intend to use the passive I/V feature. I was wondering if these small caps would help prevent RFI from getting into the Iout pins on the DAC and/or help filter out some of the RF noise coming from the Iout pins. I was thinking of something like 100pF to 100nF range.
Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 5:53:59 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I would just handle that in your I/V stage.
dirkwright  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:11:37 PM(UTC)
dirkwright

United States

OK, thanks. Can I put the digital section in a separate box from the I/V converter and connect the two by short cables? The PCM1794 has balanced outputs, so I would be using XLR connectors and balanced microphone cable of less than a meter long (probably a half meter or so). Would the DAC output current signal be degraded by the cable capacitance and/or connector resistance?
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:54:34 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes it is actually possible. I would not suggest it myself (and I never have tried it), but it should work.

The the cable parasitics will have some effect, but its hard to say if it will be negative or not.
dirkwright  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 12:03:53 AM(UTC)
dirkwright

United States

Originally Posted by: Russ White Go to Quoted Post
Yes it is actually possible. I would not suggest it myself (and I never have tried it), but it should work.

The cable parasitics will have some effect, but its hard to say if it will be negative or not.

OK, thanks. Maybe some of the cable capacitance will help round off some of those hard edges in the output waveform.

One reason I asked is because I already have a couple of boxes that would work, but on the other hand I thought it might be a good idea to separate the digital from the analog in separate boxes. Then I would put the power transformers for the I/V section in a third box... haha. THREE boxes for the DAC.

Otherwise, I have to buy a big box and have a good wall between the digital and analog sections.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed