Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
barrows  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:09:43 PM(UTC)
barrows

Groups: Member

I am thinking of building up an Opus based DAC, and am planning on using the IVY III in order to avoid coupling caps and achieve very low output impedance. I have a couple of questions though:

1. It looks like the filter circuit in the IVY III consists of 15 nF and 195R(?), giving a corner of 54 kHz-do I understand the schematic correctly, and does the Opus really need this filtering?

2. What about avoiding the second stage including the filter circuit, and just using the first opamp's output, jumping it over to the output point of the second opamp (which would be powered down), would this approach achieve the DC nulling and low output impedance I am looking for (governed essentially by the 21R output resistors) and result in a simpler signal path?

I know, I know-it would be even simpler to take the Opus' output directly, but then I would need caps, and would not have the buffer, which I really want to drive the amplifier's input stage well.

Thanks for any help...
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:30:52 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Sure you can skip the second stage if you like, but I do recommend the low pass filter.
barrows  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:28:21 PM(UTC)
barrows

Thanks Russ. It sounds like I am better off using the circuit as designed then as I want to have low Z output.
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:16:01 PM(UTC)
Russ White

You can still have low Z, you would simply omit the final opa1632 and jumper accross it. You would also omit the filter cap and use 0R resistors or jumpers in the place of the filter Rs.
barrows  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2012 7:11:03 PM(UTC)
barrows

To be clear, this is my understanding:

1. If I keep the filter stage (390R-15 nF-390R), and skip the second OPA1632, then output Z will be high, so if I want the filter I should use the second OPA1632 to keep the output Z low.

2. Or, I can skip the filter stage altogether, and take the direct output from the first OPA1632, jump it over to the output pads for the second OPA1632, and then the output Z would be governed by the output Rs (21R) but I will have no output filter.

I can experiment and try both and listen, and I even might try driving a 1:1 transformer using approach 2, at least the transfomrer will do a bit of filtering due to limited bandwidth, and driving the transformer from a low Z will keep any added distortion to a minimum.

Russ, if you have a chance, a simple "yes" answer if my understanding as expressed is totally adequate, and thanks again!
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:09:24 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Even easier just omit the second OPA1632 and the filter network Rs and C(Actually just removing the first 2 Rs is all you need do) as you described, then just wire from the input side of the filter network to the 21 R resistors at the output. :) Nice easy solder points.
barrows  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:13:13 AM(UTC)
barrows

Thanks for your help and patience Russ, I will be sure to report on my results for the benefits of other users.

I have two further questions:

1. What values would be required for R1-4 to achieve 2V-2.2V output (with Opus) from the 1st stage of the IVYIII alone, would one still use 2.2K?

2. If I want to add analog filtering, it occurs to me that I could so at the input of the first stage, in conjunction with the 2.2K input resistors by adding 100pF to ground directly after them. Is there any reason this would be bad idea?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed