Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
SCompRacer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:53:39 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I installed Teleporters in my CD player and DAC today. They work great on the bench in the basement, I get a steady lock light on the DAC playing a CD or SACD. I bring it upstairs and connect it to my stereo system and the lock LED flickers rapidly, sound cuts in and out. (Even with nothing but the CD player connected to the DAC, no coax in, no outputs connected, I can't get a steady lock upstairs). I've had my CD player hardwired to the BIII DAC upstairs and PCM/DSD out did work with a real short Cat5 cable. Yes on bypassing spdif (dipswitch 5) and 5 volts to B on the Sidecar.

For now the DAC is on an open aluminum sheet as I haven't got a chassis for it yet. I do have some tube gear and shut my entire stereo system off and still no lock with just the CD player and DAC powered. Take it back downstairs and I get lock on the bench using the same Cat5 interconnect as upstairs. Only thing I can figure is I am closer to the wireless router upstairs. Wife is streaming a movie so I can't shut it off right now. Can wireless devices affect the Teleporters? I used the same type of Cat5 as before the Teleporters, its just longer (1 meter).

Edited by user Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:08:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 5:32:42 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It is difficult to tell just based on your description. Any chance you can show some pics? My best gues is it probably has less to do with the teleporter and more to do with the general setup - particularly screening and grounding.
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 5:36:40 AM(UTC)
Russ White

I have mine next a wireless router, and a squeezebox with no issues. So I would doubt it is that. Remember that the TTL wiring at the player must be very short. Pictures will help a lot here.
SCompRacer  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:37:29 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Thanks for the input Russ. Here are the pics as it is set up. I will put some effort into figuring it out this afternoon.

System, inside CDP and DAC. The traces to the relay are cut on my buggered up Sidecar so only the jumpers attached to the relay/header pins carry PCM/DSD signals.

The I2S wires are 4" long from the Teleporter. You can see I have shielding around the wires inside the CDP and DAC. The purpose of the Neutrik RJ45 is to allow the final config to have the Teleporter next to the DAC board with a short run of Cat5 from the Neutrik to it.

Edited by user Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:48:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SCompRacer attached the following image(s):
sys_1.jpg (150kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
t_2cdp.jpg (243kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
t_dac2.jpg (207kb) downloaded 152 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:24:25 PM(UTC)
Russ White

My first guess is that the extra signal length incurred by the extra relay boards may be a culprit.
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:27:03 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I Also would not use the additional RJ45 connector. That can't help.
SCompRacer  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:53:46 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Progress! Surprise, the Denon 3910 isn't supplied with an IEC chassis ground. I tend to be hands on, like if there is a hum I'll touch gear and ground myself to see if that helps. ;) Touching the chassis and grounding myself caused the signal to lock. Installing an IEC with ground lug solved the cutting out upstairs. DSD played fine (relay activated). I got crackling playing CD's (PCM) relay is off. I touched the board and the crackling stopped. I ran a quick and dirty ground from pin 4 (gnd) on the Sidecar to the back panel and the crackling stopped playing PCM.

Edited by user Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:17:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cdp_iec_grnd.jpg (115kb) downloaded 110 time(s).
cdp_grndrelay.jpg (130kb) downloaded 122 time(s).

Russ White  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:58:05 PM(UTC)
Russ White

It amazing how much things like that can help. :)
SCompRacer  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:03:16 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

Kind of surprised to see it not grounded from the factory. What do you think caused the crackling without the Sidecar board grounded? I did swap out the relay as it didn't ohm out at zero acorss the PCM contacts. At first I thought that was the reason for the crackling, but it likes being grounded to the chassis, between the Teleporter and back panel.

Edited by user Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:05:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:10:35 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Well you will be able to answer that better than I since you have it to test. :) I can only guess that the EMI and GND situation at the source was iffy. Sounds like you are on the right track fixing it.
SCompRacer  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:20:45 PM(UTC)
SCompRacer

I'm just gonna take the fix and run with it. ;) Life is good! Time to design a proper enclosure for the DAC. Can't leave it out like this (open chassis) due to our nosy hybrid cat. Did I ever tell you how much I hate learing new software? Thank goodness I have the heavy plinth Lenco turntable to fall back on. (Lenco is in the picture a couple posts back).

Edited by user Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:27:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jasper_audio.jpg (63kb) downloaded 77 time(s).

suffolk tony  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 10:53:02 AM(UTC)
suffolk tony

I've been using the Teleporter for a while now, and very good it is too, but I've been suffering with dropouts whenever a power switch is thrown in the house or the refrigerator cuts in. Not a major problem if I'm on my own, but something I naturally wanted to eliminate.

The Teleporter transmitter module takes an I2S signal from a Wave IO board and sends it via a 15 metre CAT6 cable to my Dual-mono Buffalo II. I kept the I2S wires very short & earthed out both Teleporters. I read a suggestion that earthing one end of the CAT6 shielding might overcome the problem, which is when i discovered that the particular cable I was using wasn't screened; I'd thought that this would be part of the CAT6 specification but apparently not!

Anyway, yesterday I replaced the CAT6 with a properly shielded version, but this didn't solve the problem either so I then earthed the shielding at the DAC end. Success! Now free from dropouts (exception being if I switch my old perculator on. Time it went anyway).

Hope this helps other folk who're having similar problems.
Corpius  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 10:06:57 PM(UTC)
Corpius

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I never experienced such problems, but my cat6 cable is only 1.5 meter in length. Perhaps a good line filter might help too. I'm using a Corcom line filter.
http://www.cor.com/results.asp?Catalog=6EHQ3

Russ White  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 10:49:27 PM(UTC)
Russ White

I think it it may indeed be helpful in some circumstances to use a shielded CAT5. For example, if you have some extreme EMI. The LVDS receiver can only handle so much common mode noise.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed