Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Beard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2008 2:34:17 AM(UTC)
David Beard

Groups: Customer

I've not been following the development of OPUS from the outset as I didn't, at the time, percieve a need for a DAC, things have now changed a little with the purchase of a couple of Squeezeboxes and I'm very interested in learning a little more about Opus.

The original DIY Audio thread at 50 odd pages has long passed the point of being easy to follow so could you please give me a few pointers on the questions below:-

1) Is there an "overview" description of the various component modules anywhere which would fairly succinctly bring me up to speed?

2) I'd like to build a dual mono DAC with SPDIF / Optical and USB inputs (may well be prepared to sacrifice either optical or USB if all 3 is challenging) and I'd like to be able to have both Balanced and single Ended analog outputs - I think I could achieve this with the following:-

2X OPUS DAC
1X Receiver
1X USB Module
1X Tosh Optical
1X Ballsie

am I on the right track here ?

can I switch between SPDIF / USB and Optical - I note the OTTO is a 2:1 switch what options would there be for 3 sources?

Does the Metronome board provide "upsampling" ie conversion of RED Book 16 bit 44.1Khz to 24 bit 192 Khz and if so is the upsampling switchable on the fly?

Sorry that some of these questions are pretty basic but I really did get lost reading through the 50 odd pages of DIY Audio thread.

Thanks in anticipation for any help you can offer,

best regards

David Beard
akione  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2008 12:36:37 PM(UTC)
akione

Groups: Member

Hi David,

I can help you a little with some of your questions. Perhaps Brian or Russ could add or confirm ?

Your list seems correct to me - it's virtually the same as I'm building.

The Toslink is an addition to the S/pdif board, so you can have all three, S/pdif , Tos and USB, with the addition of an Otto, but you can't use both S/pdif or Tos at the same time unless you add further switching.

The Metronome, I believe requires a restart when you change it's settings.According to Russ, it's at it's best @ 24/96, but will do 24/192.

You need to get all the manuals from the Opus page for all the parts you require.

Hope That Helps.

(Are you DB from the Wam? I'm Coliam - I've started a DIY thread there, if you'd like to join me? )
David Beard  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2008 11:43:28 PM(UTC)
David Beard

Hi Coliam,

yes it's me!

Cheers
Dave
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:01:54 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi david, sorry to be late to the party. You list sounds fine. and it sound like akione gave good advice.

if you need further information let me know.

Cheers!
Russ
David Beard  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:48:53 PM(UTC)
David Beard

Hi Russ,

really just 1 outstanding question which is:- "Is there an overview description of the various modules somewhere which would bring me up to speed" If not I guess it's back to ploughing through all 50 (probably 52 by now) pages of the original thread.

cheers
Dave

Russ White  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:34:46 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Dave,

I can totally understand, its a difficult thing to see how they can all be used together coming at it new.

I am terrible at documenting things, but I will see what i can come up with. For now your best bet is to try to look at the documentation for each individual module. Then you will get a pretty good idea what its purpose is and how it might be used with the other modules.

The modules are kinda like legos though, what you build is really totally up to you. Its a creative process. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:35:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

David Beard  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 2:38:51 AM(UTC)
David Beard

Hi Russ,

I decided there was only one thing for it - I read through all 52 pages of the DIY Audio thread! I did end up with a much clearer understanding of waht does what and although not fully enlightened I found I felt confident enough that (probably by good fortune) my original "guesstimate" of what I needed was correct.

So I was just about to check my bank balance prior to ordering and I read the news about Buffalo! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Since my need isn't urgent I think I'm going to wait a while and see what the consensus is on which sounds best - certainly the buffalo route would appear to need fewer boards interconnecting wires etc but then it won't (apparently) accept an I2S input ---- mmmmmm

oh well - back to the drawing board!

Thanks guys for keeping such an exciting flow of projects going!

Cheers
Dave
Brian Donegan  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 7:51:01 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
The Buffalo will accept I2S input. It will be more expensive than the other DACs, however.

Edited by user Monday, March 17, 2008 7:51:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

David Beard  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 12:35:53 PM(UTC)
David Beard

Brian Donegan wrote:
The Buffalo will accept I2S input. It will be more expensive than the other DACs, however.

Hi Brian,

do you have any idea what kind of price difference you'd be looking at? obviously no firm figures at this stage but an indication would be very welcome. (I'm thinking in terms of a comparison with a dual mono OPUS with SPDIF / USB / BALLSIE / TOSLINK)

now I know that it can take an I2S input as well as everything else the Buffalo does look promising to me, especially given that it would likely be a "simpler" in terms of fewer boards, implementation and thus easier to squash into limited spaces ?????

Cheers
Dave
Rss Feed  Atom Feed