Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
neb001  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:48:20 PM(UTC)
neb001

Groups: Member

Hi, I've been tinkering with the usage of my opus dac in my car. It's been a work in progress for a while now, but it is actually working well and sounds fantastic in it's present form. But I like to experiment and I've thought of changing my current setup

Due to parts available on hand, I am currently running SPDIF -> 2x DAC boards (running in stereo split three ways using a 2-way splitter on the second board's rca outputs) -> passive crossover -> amp

My aim is to have three sets of buffered/filtered SE outputs, with the capability to switch to balanced output in the future. Naturally, the ballsie fits the bill; my question is how to implement it. Would a dual-mono set of dac boards connected to three ballsies powered by one LCBPS work? Or am I overthinking it, and one ballsie would be enough to split three ways?

I have a third DAC board spare that I threw into the dac stack to get three outputs, but after hooking up a third board into the stack the sound became a garbled mess of static-y noise with a very faint sound of the music in the background. I asked about this on the diyaudio thread and it was suggested that it might be a short so I did some checking with my multimeter and it looked like there wasn't a short. I substituded that board into my original two board stack and it worked fine, leading me to believe that the I2S signal doesn't particularly like me to have a three way split of it :)

Also, what input voltage does the LCBPS need?

Thank you for your time and patience!
Ben

Edited by user Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:08:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:17:46 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi Ben. You should be able to use just one ballsie without any trouble at all. There would be little if any benefit to using three, and it would take a lot more space. :)

The digital inputs of the Opus represent a capacitive load, so yes there is a limit to how many you can connect to a single receiver without using some sort of buffer.

Cheers!
Russ

neb001  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:04:55 PM(UTC)
neb001

Glad to hear a single ballsie will work just fine!

On a different note, what would you reccomend for a remote volume adjustment solution? I was hoping to use a JT setup, but you don't have any of those in stock and probably won't until the next version gets finished from what I've read? d'oh!
Brian Donegan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:22:24 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
You will need a split rail supply for the ballsie, not sure how you will get that in your car unless you use an SMPS.
neb001  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:25:02 PM(UTC)
neb001

This was suggested to me:

REGULATOR +/-15V 9W
http://search.digikey.co...l?Detail?name=PT5062A-ND

It should work for the ballsie right?
Russ White  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:29:17 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yep, should work just fine. :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed