Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlegare  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 5:28:49 AM(UTC)
mlegare

Groups: Member

Hi

i just bought a 32S from someone who never had the time to build the kit

I want to try to use it with output transformers instead of using it with it's op amp output stage

For doing the output stage conversion I have to tap the signal from out + and out - of the dac

As I just want to try it, can I only lift the In + and in - from the first op amp to take my signal there and don't use the op amp supplys ?

Also, I noted that the ES9018 chip heats a lot. Is it a good thing to glue a heatsink on it ?

Thanks

ihear21khz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:08:56 PM(UTC)
ihear21khz

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am running the BII directly into a transformer. Essentially the output of the ESS 9018 feeds directly into a 1:1 transformer and nothing else. You need to be wise on the choice of transformer you use. PM me if you are keen to know more.

As for the chip getting hot, mine does not. I would suggest you check your voltage supply to the dac.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:14:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mlegare  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:27:26 PM(UTC)
mlegare

I cut the dac signal output that goes to the first op amp to connect my output transformers. As I supposed that I don't need the + and -15V supplys, I disconnected them.

Do the 32S needs the +15 -15 power supplys to trigger the dac ? There's no sound and no voltage at the + and - of each dac chip outputs.

Everything is well connected but I suppose that the stock output stage trigger the dac to let it play.
ihear21khz  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:38:43 PM(UTC)
ihear21khz

I am not familiar with the layout of the 32S so I can't help you here. I will see if I can find the documentation and try and figure out why you're not getting any output from the dac.
ihear21khz  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 12:28:20 AM(UTC)
ihear21khz

Why not just connect the transformers to the + and - output connectors on the DAC board? The "opamps" are not there for I/V operation so if I am right, the outputs are direct from the ESS chip. You should have power supplying both VD and VA.
mlegare  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 3:53:37 AM(UTC)
mlegare

ihear21khz wrote:
Why not just connect the transformers to the + and - output connectors on the DAC board? The "opamps" are not there for I/V operation so if I am right, the outputs are direct from the ESS chip. You should have power supplying both VD and VA.

I connected the transformers to the + and - of each output channel of the dac

On the 32S, the output stage use one power supply of +15V and -15V for each channel output stage. We normally can't separate the output stage from the dac as other models to try different output stages

The dac is feed with a 5V and 3.3v for DV and AV

As I don't use the op amp output stage, normally, the +15V and -15V feeding the output stage is useless so I disconnected these supplys.

Do the output stage power supplys of +15V and -15 v feed something other than the op amps ?

My problem isn't related with my output transformers connexions but with the dac chip that doesn't seems to work with only the AV CC and DV CC supplying the dac chip.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed