Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hercules  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 12:37:47 PM(UTC)
Hercules

Groups: Member

One day when I re-organize my DIY parts, I found an idling IVY III, Volumite, bipolar PS and some transformer here, the IVY III and volumite removed when I put Legato with Buffalo 2, as I no longer driving the headphone by IVY III but I still remember the IVY III driving my headphone quite nice, however I like the sound from legato more on line out, so I pull the IVY III out.

I just want to use the volume control in digital domain with volumite to eliminate the VR and it's wiring, currently only Buffalo family and Opus can work with volumite, if the DAC board able to accept I2S and SPDIF, Buffalo 2 will be $249, while Opus + WM8804 transceiver will be $150, USD 99 difference, if you think of Buffalo 2 with very nice re-clocking with crystatek CHD950 with more path to upgrade, I can fully justify to pay more, but the Buffalo just unavailable now, Opus is the only option.

And I owned a QLS QA-550 wave player and with I2S/SPDIF out, and easily powered by single rail DC at 7~9V DC, I can put them into single case and connected with I2S, powering together to eliminate external cabling. So if I dropped the Transceiver, and put an I2S enable DAC board, volumite firmware and one extra single rail PS, I can made the IVY III sing for me again. The total of the order was $55 (opus unassembled) + $15.50 (LCDPS PCB only) and Volumite firmware for Stereo Opus, the cost is well under USD$100 mark, meanwhile I can wait for a future SPDIF/I2S/DSD Mux and USB module for the future.

Tonight I assembled them together and testing (not yet finalize the casing yet), the sound just WOW, as I eliminated the analog parts (line in, Volume control pot), SPDIF cabling and receiver, extra headphone amplifier and interconnect, everything is so clear and detail, a lot of information in the music that's I missed before, and I found it now!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, May 20, 2011 9:30:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brian Donegan  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 1:26:51 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Nice work. The Opus is an often-overlooked DAC. It really is a great performer.
Russ White  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 9:00:54 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yes, very good work! Enojoy it. :)
Hercules  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 9:59:11 PM(UTC)
Hercules

Thanks Brian for shipping arrangement, and Russ for Opus switch setting for Volumite (I'm also facing the problem of always Max volume with volumite, as I follow the Version 2.0 manual, recommended switch setting for stereo, I2S to 1 position, after I switch to Open, the volumite works!!)

When I received the Opus unassembled kit, I expect the SMD chip like DAC and regulator will be pre-mounted, but I'm wrong, so I make meticulous attention to mount them, and using small tweezers to hold those very tiny SMD components (and thanks for clear label on components and one extra spare for all SMD components, If I missing one and I will be in trouble!), I can't ensure and test them work until it's singing! But USD 55 for everyhing simply good value, and people should consider to purchase assembled and tested one if you want to be hassle free.

I think people and also TPA put all the focus on Buffalo (Volumite Manual only available for Buffalo family)! By completing missing manual and instruction, Opus will be other excellent choice too!
rx7mark  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:09:16 AM(UTC)
rx7mark

Hercules,
This is a great looking recycle project! Can you give some more details about how you are powering everything, are those blue objects on the left side batteries? Is everything fed off of one supply? How many rails?

Do you have it all cased yet? More pictures pretty please!

I have seriously been contemplating something similar to this using the QA-550 and all A123 battery power in as small of case as I can cram everything, sort of a super single box DIY semi-portable balanced headphone player.

Thanks in advance for anything more you can add or recommend.

Mark
Hercules  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 4:54:46 AM(UTC)
Hercules

Hi Mark, I didn't as I stopped further re-casing till yesterday, I received wm8804 receiver from Brian. The blue thing is PCB mount BLOCK transformer from Germany, one for analog, one for digital.

The IVY3 powered by bipolar supply by my friend, and LCDPS for Opus/wm8804/volumite. The LCDPS provide 2 set of independently regulated power, one for VA of Opus, another one feed VD of Opus, Volumite and wm8804.

Thanks for IVY3 with built-in Bal to SE, the Bal. Out feeding headphone and single end feeding RCA, so it's DAC + digital headphone amp in one.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed  Atom Feed