Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbernst5  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:51:16 AM(UTC)
jbernst5

Groups: Member

I hooked up my LCBPS for the first time yesterday, and had major issues, but I can't see that I did anything wrong putting it together. I wonder if anyone can help...

When I first connect the 15V transformer secondaries, the two sides of the PS were reading around +/- 4.5V. The rectifiers got really hot. I turned up the pots, and the + side got to around 8V, while the - side only went to around -6.5V max. I disconnected the transformer and looked over my build. Seemed fine. Then I hooked it back up to the transformer. Again the rectifiers got really hot. I heard the torroid crackling and it got warm. Then... transformer's dead.Brick wall

Anybody know what/if I did something wrong, or if maybe there was something wrong with the kit in the first place? I could take pictures if that would help.

To add to my frustration, I was testing my new LCDPS at the same time. One side worked fine, but the other side was reading negative voltage and the caps got hot. I disconnected that and realized I had put the rectifier in backwards. When I tried to desolder it, I screwed up the pads. So now I have 1 side only of my PS.

Will it be perfectly adequate to run both the digital and analog sides of my Opus with the one working side? Would it sound appreciably better to get a new kit and have both sides?

Thanks,
Josh
jbernst5  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:55:27 AM(UTC)
jbernst5

I wish I had written down my initial readings on the DCV for the LCBPS. Definitely one side + and the other -, and both less than half the 15V of the transformer. Maybe they were around +/-6V.
NicMac  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:31:34 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Post some pictures (top and bottom side). It sound like a pretty serious fault.
Which type of transformers are you using and how did you connect them?

EDIT: my guess is that you have a transformer with dual secondaries and that you by mistake connected the secondaries in series and not in parallel.

Edited by user Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:55:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jbernst5  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:36:48 AM(UTC)
jbernst5

thanks for the reply. I used dual secondary 25VA torroids from Antek.com. Each has dual primaries, which I hooked up in parrallel (all 4 reds and the N wire from the mains soldered together, and all 4 blacks with the P wire from the mains (after 1A fuse ad switch)). I tested all 4 outputs from the 2 transformers. The 9V one was putting out about 8.8V from both, and the 15V one was putting out 14.8 volts from both secondaries.

Then I hooked the secondaries up the the PS. Each secondary has a blue and a green, and I put one set in the terminals labeled S1, and the other set in the terminal labeled S2. Hmmm. I'll look and see if I hooked a blue from one secondary up with the green from the other. Would that be series? I DID twist the blue and greens that I hooked up in each side, so I should be able to see what I did. I'll take the pics tonight. thanks again for your thoughts.

Josh
jbernst5  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:59:56 AM(UTC)
jbernst5

NicMac- thanks for your help.

I had my secondary wires connected wrong, as you suspected. When I corrected that issue and connected both secondaries correctly, I found that the PS and the transormer worked fine.

I was also able to wire the rectifier bridge of my DPS point-to-point, so I got both sides going.

All is well in LCPS land. And the Opus/Ballsie combination sounds fab.

Thanks again.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed