Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
thrice  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:37:17 PM(UTC)
thrice

Groups: Member

Got the boards the other day and I've got them wired up for a test before I case them up. I'm getting a lot of static. I've got the boards setup as per the instuctions (DIFFHW set to high on both boards and the mode jumper as well).

Is there anything that needs to be done on the SPDIF side? Any ideas why I'm getting so much static through the DAC. All the LEDS shine green on the SPDIF boards as well.
OneyedK  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2007 12:32:08 AM(UTC)
OneyedK

thrice wrote:
Any ideas why I'm getting so much static through the DAC.

How did you connect the gnd?
Brian Donegan  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2007 3:18:57 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Solved here.
thrice  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:43:44 PM(UTC)
thrice

Unfortunately not solved...I recently cased it up and the static is back....it's like static you would get from a bad vinyl rig. Only happens when the RCA connector is hooked into the jack on the case....pull the SPDIF cable out and it goes away.

Brian Donegan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 6:15:12 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Since it seems to be a transient problem (went away, came back after casing it up), I suspect either a loose wiring issue (in a terminal block), or a bad solder joint. Since resetting the jumpers made it go away last time, it's possible it's a bad solder joint on one of the jumper headers. If it's nothing visible, I can send you a replacement to try swapping boards to isolate the problem.
thrice  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:03:03 PM(UTC)
thrice

Brian Donegan wrote:
Since it seems to be a transient problem (went away, came back after casing it up), I suspect either a loose wiring issue (in a terminal block), or a bad solder joint. Since resetting the jumpers made it go away last time, it's possible it's a bad solder joint on one of the jumper headers. If it's nothing visible, I can send you a replacement to try swapping boards to isolate the problem.

Is there anything I should look for...I can go through and reflow the solder joints if you think that would help.

Would it be through the dac or the SPDIF board...I'm getting it through both channels.
Brian Donegan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:18:36 PM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

My guess is it would be the receiver. Look at the bottom of the board at the through hole parts for bad/missing solder joints. If by reflow you mean re-soldering the through hole parts, that would be fine. The only time have experienced this, it turned out to be my cd player (spdif source).
thrice  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:25:47 PM(UTC)
thrice

Brian Donegan wrote:
My guess is it would be the receiver. Look at the bottom of the board at the through hole parts for bad/missing solder joints. If by reflow you mean re-soldering the through hole parts, that would be fine. The only time have experienced this, it turned out to be my cd player (spdif source).

Well I'm getting it over multiple sources...Squeezebox 3 and a HIFIDIY transport...I wouldn't bat an eyelash at the transport being an issue...but the squeezebox was working fine with it.

I reflowed the solder joints and I'll give it another shot.
thrice  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:12:38 PM(UTC)
thrice

Still no go....now the static is moving...worse in the right channel than the left, where before it was in both. I may have to send these back for checking like you mentioned.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed