Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
pcking  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:22:37 AM(UTC)
pcking

Groups: Member

Hi, currently my volumite vol pot level is at around 3 o'clock at normal listening level.
What can I do to make the normal listening volume level at say around 10-11 o'clock level so that I have more headroom to play louder ?
Does changing to a log 5K Vol pot instead of the original linear one helps ? Or changing the value of the vol pot ?

My setup is BII + Legato.

Thanks.
avr300  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:51:06 AM(UTC)
avr300

Denmark

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 69 post(s)
You have increase the gain of your system. This can be done by increasing the gain in the Legato. Search this forum or diyaudio.com - lots of information is around.

Like around here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/166975-legato-ivy-iii-outputs-buffalo-ii-21.html

Altering the Volumite will not get you there.

Edited by user Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:52:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 10:00:23 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I actually sounds like he might want less output?
LeonvB  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 10:24:15 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 45 post(s)
No, he wants to be able to play louder so an increase in gain is the correct action.
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:48:05 AM(UTC)
Russ White

LeonvB wrote:
No, he wants to be able to play louder so an increase in gain is the correct action.

Then this makes no sense:

LeonvB wrote:
Hi, currently my volumite vol pot level is at around 3 o'clock at normal listening level.
What can I do to make the normal listening volume level at say around 10-11 o'clock level

It sounds to like what he is really after is more adjustment travel, in which case he would actually want less output. It is probably simply a case of the wrong semantics.

It really sounds like he is indicating he has all the volume he wants at the 3 o clock position, but he would rather that happen at the 11-12 o clock position.

My suggestion in that case would be to use 75-100R for the I/V resistors.

Brian Donegan  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:26:15 AM(UTC)
Brian Donegan

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Quote:
What can I do to make the normal listening volume level at say around 10-11 o'clock level so that I have more headroom to play louder ?

I recommend not playing louder music at 10-11 o'clock, as your neighbors will be sure to complain!

(Sorry, had to. Whistle )
LeonvB  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 12:07:55 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Quote:
It sounds to like what he is really after is more adjustment travel, in which case he would actually want less output.

I'm not native speaking English, and likely nor is pcking. His description makes sense to me, as the knob on the volumite for me starts at about 7 o'clock position, and goes up clockwise to the 4 o'clock position at most. Also, he clearly states he wants to be able to play louder.
Russ White  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 12:33:38 PM(UTC)
Russ White

It is more usual for a volume knob to start at the top or twelve o-clock position.
LeonvB  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:03:16 PM(UTC)
LeonvB

Strange. I've had dozens of amps, only the last (Dussun) had that lay-out. Most had 7 to 5 as a range almost like this one.

UserPostedImage
ronpod  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:18:08 PM(UTC)
ronpod

It sounds as if pcking is not satisfied with a volume control that goes up to 10; he wants 11 (remember spinal tap? ;).
Russ White  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 4:03:27 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Sure, I am not saying it is not ever done that way. I was just making sure this gets what he really wants. :)

Either way the change is easy. :)

It would be helpful to know if he is using SE output or balanced. As it would be more ideal to add or remove the gain there if he is.
pcking  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:08:31 PM(UTC)
pcking

I'm sorry if my question has caused unnecessary confusion.

To clarify things, I am using balanced outputs & I believe the stock volume pot is a 5K Linear type.
The Knob Level of this pot should be reference from 7 to 5 o'clock(max) position.

Maybe I'm not clear enough in my description.

I am not exactly in need of more gain but definitely not looking at reducing the gain.

Currently, my "usable" knob level range is only from say 3 to 4 o'clock. Depending on recordings, I would need to try up or down the volume level. What I wish to have is a "usable" range from 10 to 2 o'clock so that I can have a more fine tuning of volume level. At present, I would need to carefully turn the knob very slowly to achieve the loudness I want. To me it's too sensitive & a slight turn will result in excessive loudness.

I understand that if I were to change the I/V resistors on my Legato to increase the gain, I can "shift" the level down to about 11 o'clock but I am not sure if that will allow me to control the volume nicely over a larger range till 2 o'clock before the loudness is unbearable.

I was wondering if changing to a Log 5K pot will help or changing to other values of pot will help.

Thanks for all that contributed.

Edited by user Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:37:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pcking  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:05:48 PM(UTC)
pcking

I have "resolved" my issue by adding a resistor of 750Ohms across the legs of the output & ground of the 5K Volume pot.

Now I am having more "usable" range from 10 to 2 O'clock.

A cheap & easy solution. :d/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed