Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianp  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 2:47:19 PM(UTC)
ianp

Groups: Member

Hello All,

After building a Buf II with single Placid I ordered up an IVY III with Placid BP along with the recommended 15V+15V (30VA) Power Transformer.

I built up the Placid BP and IVY III boards and have just tried to power up the Placid BP board. Running through the steps in the manual I adjusted the resistance of all VRs and then applied the power from the transformers. LEDs came on and there was no smoke. I set the output voltage on both rails via VR3 and VR4. I was then able to adjust VR1, such that R1 was .25V. However, VR2 seemed not to be working as I couldn't adjust the voltage across R2. At that point I noticed that the heatsinks on the R1 side were very, very hot to the touch. The heatsinks on R2 side were normal - room temperature. I quickly shut down the power to the transformer and unwired it from the Placid BP board.

I then measured the voltage the transformer was putting out, which was 18V not the 15V that it is marked as. Living in the US I wired the transformer up in parallel (Blue/Violet & Grey/Brown). Should it be putting out 18V or nearer 15V?

I saw another post indicating that it is possible to cause a short when measuring across R1 and R2 that fries the associated VR. Not sure that this was the cause as I was careful when placing my DMM probes - they have little hook mini-clips on the ends - but cannot rule that out as the cause.

At this point measuring the resistance across VR1 seems to work OK, but VR2 is dead measuring a constant 1 for resistance.

Are there any troubleshooting steps that anyone can suggest to determine if it is just VR2 that is fried ?

Thanks

ianp

Russ White  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 3:08:12 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It is not really possible to "fry" VR2 unless you swapped a couple transistors. Or completely shorted the main CCS transistor.

If you can't adjust it to ~200R then it is likely dead from one cause or another.
ianp  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 4:04:07 PM(UTC)
ianp

I'm going to look at the board in detail again to see if I can spot anything, but let me ask if 18V is OK for the transformer and it is expected that the heatsinks get very hot on what appears to be a correctly adjusted side?

thanks

ianp

Russ White  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 4:16:20 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Sure this is ok and normal, especially if you don't have a load connected yet. This is because the shunt transistors now have to dissipate the whole current, instead of the load taking most of it.
ianp  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 3:40:47 PM(UTC)
ianp

I was lucky as I had the exact part in my spares box. I replaced VR2 and everything else went fine.

ianp

Edited by user Saturday, May 22, 2010 3:52:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Russ White  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:32:05 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Occasionally if you turn the adjustment screw too far it can destroy the pot. I am glad you had a replacement.

Cheers!
Russ
Rss Feed  Atom Feed