Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mfly  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:25:42 AM(UTC)
Mfly

Groups: Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering: do the I/V stages and the SE converter of the IVY have separate ground planes or do they share the same ground on the board? I'm using seperate power supplies to the different stages, and a star grounding scheme to a single point near the power supplies. I was therefore wondering if I needed only to connect 1 of the ground terminals of the IVY to my star ground or all three?

Second question on the same subject: Is the signal ground connection between the IVY and the Buffalo separate from the power ground plane? And if not, do I tie the Buffalo to my star point?

Or is this kind of grounding all Shame on you, and do I connect al the grounds to the individual power supply boards and keep everything floating or 1 supply connected to earth ground?

That were all my newbie grounding questions. I did test both floating and all ground terminals to 1 star point, both dead quiet..but was wondering about the best practice.

Thanks in advance for helping out the newbie.
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:12:07 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The board has a solid ground plane. So any star ground will need to terminate there.

There is one common ground for the whole circuit and it is joined when the IVY-III mates with the Buffalo. This is by design as it has been proven the most effective way to keep noise at bay. We used split ground planes (which could be joined) on the Buffalo32S but quickly found it was actually less optimal.

You do not need to connect PS ground to earth. I never do. Still it does not hurt if you do it right. It's up to you.

Cheers!
Russ
Mfly  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:15:19 AM(UTC)
Mfly

Groups: Member

Russ,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll use the IVY as star ground point. But in practice this comes down to connecting each supply ground to its respective ground connector on the IVY. Only the Buffalo supply itself will then be 'daisy-chained' to the star ground through the Buffalo. But that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Maarten
Rss Feed  Atom Feed