Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
needsp  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:09:27 PM(UTC)
needsp

Groups: Member
United Kingdom

Hi Russ and Brian

How much current will each rail of each of the three sections of IVY III draw? (with a 15/0/-15V supply)

Thanks

Paul

NicMac  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:01:25 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Bump - same question!
Nic
karvid  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 10:31:26 AM(UTC)
karvid

needsp wrote:
Hi Russ and Brian

How much current will each rail of each of the three sections of IVY III draw? (with a 15/0/-15V supply)

Thanks

Paul

You will find the answer here:
http://www.twistedpearau....aspx?g=posts&t=1034

Edited by user Friday, April 23, 2010 10:32:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NicMac  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 1:10:29 PM(UTC)
NicMac

Thanks for the link and prompt reply :-)
glt  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 1:56:38 PM(UTC)
glt

(hijacking the tread) Nic, how is that IVYIII-ucd project going?
NicMac  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:50:39 AM(UTC)
NicMac

Hi glt,
I have been doing a bit of testing with my B32 and the UCD's. I have compared the un-modded ST and the op-amp by-passed version with my UCD HG HxR "reference".
The B32 is perfectly capable of driving the by-passed UCD and the sound quality is superb! It is way better than the un-modded ST and I think also better than my reference even if I will have do some listening. Having only two gain stages and no caps between the DAC and speakers is just about as simple as it can get and I think it is the winning way. Till now I have been using the B32 set for 2VRMS output and the total gain will be a tad low for some speakers and listening levels. With the IVYIII I will try 4VRMS and maybe even higher (8VRMS with BII in dual-mono configuration) if somebody can assure me that this is sane. I cannot hear any difference with or without the 22R output impedance set on the Buffalo.
I recently started to use regulated supplies for the UCD's and this also brought quite a bit of improvement.
When I have finished (re)casing the DAC and UCDs and I will post some pics.
Cheers,
Nic
glt  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:39:30 AM(UTC)
glt

Hi Nic, thanks for sharing your findings. That would be my plan. Since I currently have the udc180hg (no hxr), I think I'll upgrade to the UCD400st and use IVY III straight to the UCD modulator. That would make a "zero input impedance Amp" :-). I'm waiting for audiopower.it to release their regulated smps that will work with the ucd400 (it even has an unregulated +/- 22V that can be used to power Placid). As you said, this is probably the ultimate simplest path to the speakers.

Edited by user Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:44:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dmitry Nevozhay  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:03:59 AM(UTC)
Dmitry Nevozhay

NicMac wrote:
Hi glt,
It is way better than the un-modded ST and I think also better than my reference even if I will have do some listening. Having only two gain stages and no caps between the DAC and speakers is just about as simple as it can get and I think it is the winning way. Till now I have been using the B32 set for 2VRMS output and the total gain will be a tad low for some speakers and listening levels. With the IVYIII I will try 4VRMS and maybe even higher (8VRMS with BII in dual-mono configuration) if somebody can assure me that this is sane. I cannot hear any difference with or without the 22R output impedance set on the Buffalo.
I recently started to use regulated supplies for the UCD's and this also brought quite a bit of improvement.
When I have finished (re)casing the DAC and UCDs and I will post some pics.
Cheers,
Nic

Hi Nic!
Where can i read about bypassing UcD400ST? Does it make sense to bypass UcD400HG?
Can you inform us about your further listening comparision and experiment with 4/8VRMS outputs?

Wich power supplies have your tried for feeding UcD400?
(audiopower.it's DPS-400 vs. Hypex SMPS400A400 vs. Hypex UcD Supply ST vs. UcD Supply HG vs. something else).
What's the best sounding one for Buffalo->IVY->UcD400 combination???
Rss Feed  Atom Feed