Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolojl  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:26:42 AM(UTC)
Jolojl

Groups: Member

Hi! Angel

Today I sat the COD up along with Rudolf Broertjes' SS I/V Gain Stage. It seems to work fine, I have 3V on out.

However I don't have any sound ... The recommended switch settings in the manual are:
Quote:
Recommended Stereo Configuration:
MONO 0
CHSL 0
DEM 0
MUTE 0
FMT0 0
FMT1 0
ZERO OPEN
RST 1

but I actually just have switches for MONO, CHSL, FMT0 and FMT1 (now all set to "-"). There are no switches for DEM, MUTE and RST, just soldering points. I cannot see any ZERO but there is a blank besides the last soldering point (after DEM, MUTE and RST) ...

What do I do to set RST = "+", DEM and MUTE to = "-" and ZERO (if that is the blank at the end) to = "O" ...

Best!
Johan Angel
Russ White  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:04:51 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Groups: Administration, Customer

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The markings on the switch are actually "-"(minus) "O"(open) "+" (plus)

"-" = logical 0

"+" = logical 1

"O" open which is required when something other then the switch will be controlling the port.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Russ
Jolojl  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:32:26 PM(UTC)
Jolojl

Hi Russ! Angel

Maybe I was unclear... There actually are NO switches for DEM, MUTE and RST... Just soldering points... I cannot see any ZERO, but there is a blank besides the last soldering point (after DEM, MUTE and RST)... So I cannot choose any switch position for them...

If I have no switches, how do I set RST = "+", DEM and MUTE to = "-" and ZERO (if that is the blank at the end) to = "O" ...

Best!
Johan Angel
Russ White  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:11:23 PM(UTC)
Russ White

oh, nm you have the newer board.

But you are looking at the old manual.
Russ White  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:13:22 PM(UTC)
Russ White

Here is the current manual:

File Attachment(s):
manual_1_1.pdf (61kb) downloaded 147 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jolojl  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:18:29 AM(UTC)
Jolojl

Thanks Russ! Just what I needed (BTW, it's the old manual version on the DAC home page ...)!

Seems I have the correct positions, need to troubleshoot elsewhere for not getting sound ...

Cheers!
Johan Angel
Russ White  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:07:45 AM(UTC)
Russ White

Hi Johan,

Yes, I see we need to update the page.

The difficulty is people have recently bought both versions, so we will need to link to both versions. I think Brian was planning on doing this he just has not had a chance yet. It's been a busy couple weeks for him. Also I think he is already doing a major site overhaul which will be up soon, so he may be waiting for that.

Now that you have the correct manual I would just double check your I2S wiring etc. If you can attach photos I may be able to help more.

Cheers!
Russ

Edited by user Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:08:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jolojl  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 3:42:33 PM(UTC)
Jolojl

Hi Russ!

Sorry for a soemwhat late answer ... I think I have connected the digital inputs right: if I place the COD just above the transceiver I connect them all in a "straight line", just like on your picture UserPostedImage.

I actually do get some sound now, but just distorsion ... And now also distorted sound from the OPUS Think, but I will have a closer look tomorrow on everything ... The OPUS worked fine the other day, and the COD problem might be a problem with how I connect it to the output stage ...

I have posted a more general topic on diyAudio. I'll try again tomorrow to solve this, and with another I/V stage in a couple of days ... Might be coming back with some questions if I may if I can't solve this ...

All the best!
Johan

Edited by user Monday, April 14, 2008 3:44:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jolojl  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 3:30:24 AM(UTC)
Jolojl

Hi!

Just a short update... I haven't been able to listen to the COD yet ... Not because of the COD itself but because of me and how I put together my output stages ... I have a PassD1 I really would want to make work ... The PSU PCB gave wrong voltages, but now that I have hardwired it, it finally works ... Then of course I now have some problems with the actual output stage PCB, I will try hardwiring this as well ... I was wondering, the discrete output stage you mention on the site, when would that be coming? And what kind of stage would it be?

So unfortunately no COD, but the OPUS is up running, and sounds very promising. I soldered some new caps (Auricaps) to it yesterday so I need to wait for them to break in before commenting on sound. However very enjoyable (smooth and organic sound) up til now ... Looking forward to hear it after break-in!

Best!
Johan
Ciu  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 5:16:53 PM(UTC)
Ciu

Hello Russ !

May I have the old Manual ?
I bought recently a kit on DIYaudio, dual mono PCM1794, it's the Rev.1.0, with jumpers
I have also Spdif Input module (WWM8401 ?)
How can I connect input module to COD in dual mono mode , just splitting every wire (kind Y)?

Regards
Richard
Zero Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:59:53 PM(UTC)
Zero Cool

Ciu wrote:
Hello Russ !

May I have the old Manual ?
I bought recently a kit on DIYaudio, dual mono PCM1794, it's the Rev.1.0, with jumpers
I have also Spdif Input module (WWM8401 ?)
How can I connect input module to COD in dual mono mode , just splitting every wire (kind Y)?

Regards
Richard

The old manual is down loadable from the TPA website COD page. there really aren't much that is different between the manuals from what I can see.

I too am trying to sort out how to do the Dual mono configuration. currently I have the I2S lines "Y-ed" from the 8416 receiver board to both COD Dac's and it seems to work ok. however at the moment I am only using one COD in stereo mode until i figure out how to correctly set the switches and which outputs to use.

I'm curious if I have to put resistors and capacitors in both the L and R sides of each cod when used in Mono or if i only need to stuff one side of each??
Rss Feed  Atom Feed